Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Yay or Nay?
Yay! Bring It On! 77 83.70%
Nay! Stay Away! 15 16.30%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 10:56 AM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I'm puzzled. Apple has indicated they would start with 1000 employees working in the Westin area. Over the course of the next three years, they would increase that total, with it likely falling short of 10,000. Projections are somewhere in the neighborhood of 7,000.

I don't see that as a mass influx.

I would think differently if they were not planning to use areas where infrastructure was already present, which is the concern I would have for Amazon.

One is not like the other.
I think there is significant difference between the 2 corporations.

7000 jobs is still a lot, but not in comparison to a 50,000 job impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 11:59 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
I’m all for it...it can only help those of us in IT.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:05 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,014 times
Hmmm...having lived in Cupertino CA prior to Apple being there and then watching the area grow exponentially, I have many mixed feelings about this.

One of the reasons why we moved to NC was to get AWAY from Silicon Valley. The area changed drastically in a short amount of time. My fear is that with Apple (AND Amazon) possibly making this move (along with the other tech companies that have already made their way here e.g. Cisco etc) this area will no longer be affordable for many of our children as they become adults.

My daughter, a recent college graduate in NC, is already paying $1300/month for a studio apartment. By the time she has a solid employment and income history and "maybe" some savings for a down payment, there will be no homes/townhomes within her reach.

What many also fail to realize is that these companies hire a very large amount of H-1B visa workers. While I am not opposed to what the program was initially set up to do, I feel that it has gotten to a point where the program is being abused. I don't understand why companies like Apple and Amazon aren't investing in our youth (and this country's) future.

I know immigration is a very heated topic and this post is in no way meant to be political. I'm just concerned about this area becoming another Silicon Valley :-(

Old 05-23-2018, 03:59 PM

735 posts, read 1,585,128 times
Yes! The economic benefit will spread all over the triangle since companies will have to compete with Apple to recruit from the local talent pool. Talent competition is already a hot topic in our strategy meetings and adding Apple to the local mix will really benefit the surrounding tech companies.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:39 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Hmmm...having lived in Cupertino CA prior to Apple being there and then watching the area grow exponentially, I have many mixed feelings about this.

One of the reasons why we moved to NC was to get AWAY from Silicon Valley. The area changed drastically in a short amount of time. My fear is that with Apple (AND Amazon) possibly making this move (along with the other tech companies that have already made their way here e.g. Cisco etc) this area will no longer be affordable for many of our children as they become adults.

My daughter, a recent college graduate in NC, is already paying $1300/month for a studio apartment. By the time she has a solid employment and income history and "maybe" some savings for a down payment, there will be no homes/townhomes within her reach.

What many also fail to realize is that these companies hire a very large amount of H-1B visa workers. While I am not opposed to what the program was initially set up to do, I feel that it has gotten to a point where the program is being abused. I don't understand why companies like Apple and Amazon aren't investing in our youth (and this country's) future.

I know immigration is a very heated topic and this post is in no way meant to be political. I'm just concerned about this area becoming another Silicon Valley :-(
Ditto. Apple wont make a huge dent here itself but it's going to attract A LOT of others to the area. I chose to move to the Triangle because it's an awesome place. Bringing this much tech to our area and being another silicon valley does not sound good to me. Look at the real estate prices already. This area is becoming unaffordable very quickly, and I don't want to live in an area with an average sales price of $500k+. Everything else will go up to. Honestly I didnt answer the poll because im torn. I love apple products and i'm always happy to hear about more jobs and people making good money. I just dont want this place to turn into silicon valley.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:42 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,479,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Apple, yes. Amazon, no.
This.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:38 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,560 times
Please make this area silicone valley so I can sell my house, pocket a half a mil, and go live somewhere else debt free. Amen.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:38 PM

202 posts, read 174,086 times
We won't get either one. Total pipe dream.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
I don't understand - a week ago news outlets were saying the Apple deal was as good as done. Has something changed that I don't know about? Just crappy reporting?

Old 05-23-2018, 09:53 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't understand - a week ago news outlets were saying the Apple deal was as good as done. Has something changed that I don't know about? Just crappy reporting?
LGBT groups started making a stink about it coming to NC. Maybe the deal is still really close and they're just trying to lay low until it all blows over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary