Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:56 AM

43,304 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

"Asceticism" is also a philosophy that some would force on others.
Yeah, Cary "wastes money" on parks, trails, art, infrastructure, and other frills.

With their obvious contributions to being a highly-desired town for new residents, businesses, and due to availability of comfortable lifestyle.
Well-managed, with lowest property tax rates in the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 06:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Asceticism" is also a philosophy that some would force on others.
Yeah, Cary "wastes money" on parks, trails, art, infrastructure, and other frills.

With their obvious contributions to being a highly-desired town for new residents, businesses, and due to availability of comfortable lifestyle.
Well-managed, with lowest property tax rates in the county.
Exactly, they've managed to make it a great place to live (perhaps too great, but that's another topic). The overall strategy is working, yet people can sit back in their Monday armchair and throw darts at the parts they don't like.

I'm fairly indifferent to the Tutu's. On the surface, they don't do anything for me, but it's all part of the "feel" of Cary. Say what you will, the place is desirable for a lot of people, and is attracting more people, and more businesses, and more favorable attention. Overall, I love it.

Rather than cherry-pick (not you Mike) all the "horrible decisions" they make, why not recognize that the Town of Cary has been an overwhelming success story. I doubt the trajectory is going to change dramatically in the foreseeable future. I would say get on board, or find a more suitable place for those who don't like things like art, ascetics, and other such non-tangibles.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:25 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpd View Post
C'mon man. This is not art.
Art is completely subjective. What is art to you may not be art to someone else, and vice versa. There is no one size fits all.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:36 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
OMG, this is like Fetzer's rant against the time+light tower all those years ago
Fetzer's gone and didn't get his way. The tower still stands

Old 09-04-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Art is completely subjective. What is art to you may not be art to someone else, and vice versa. There is no one size fits all.

Yup!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_P...s-coolidge.jpg

Yup!

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

Old 09-04-2018, 02:01 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
RE: Fuquay Varina Memes...

Definitely more focused on making fun of FV than other towns... usually they reference other towns only as a foil to FV. They do occasionally lump in Holly Springs in the "less classier than thou" category along with FV though.
I like FV Memes...

Old 09-04-2018, 05:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Exactly, they've managed to make it a great place to live (perhaps too great, but that's another topic). The overall strategy is working, yet people can sit back in their Monday armchair and throw darts at the parts they don't like.

I'm fairly indifferent to the Tutu's. On the surface, they don't do anything for me, but it's all part of the "feel" of Cary. Say what you will, the place is desirable for a lot of people, and is attracting more people, and more businesses, and more favorable attention. Overall, I love it.

Rather than cherry-pick (not you Mike) all the "horrible decisions" they make, why not recognize that the Town of Cary has been an overwhelming success story. I doubt the trajectory is going to change dramatically in the foreseeable future. I would say get on board, or find a more suitable place for those who don't like things like art, ascetics, and other such non-tangibles.
I totally agree Cary has done an excellent job maintaining its image and high standards. It should be applauded. Reminds me a bit of Hilton Head Island, SC. The city has done a great job depsite the growth keeping it looking well planned and low key. Also another one is Boulder CO and Park City, UT. I'm sure there are others as well. But, no excuse to waste taxpayer dollars.

I wish I could say the same for Raleigh, or Rolesville, or unfortunately WAKE FOREST where the local planning department has absolutely decimated what was once an awesome town to because of this "growth at all costs" developer nirvana. What a shame!

Old 09-05-2018, 07:46 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,681 times
Why does Cary assume the gender of these trees and make them wear a skirt? What if that tree wants to wear something more masculine?

Old 09-05-2018, 08:45 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Why does Cary assume the gender of these trees and make them wear a skirt? What if that tree wants to wear something more masculine?

I suspect the firmness of their bark may affect the next iteration.

More studies: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3119615/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/718017...nded-like-man/

Old 09-05-2018, 10:13 AM

I just drove up Academy Street, and I just had to grin.

Got my dime's worth already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary