Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:16 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,839 times

Advertisements

I personally HATE that style of housing. They're building the crap out of these all over the Southeast.They're specifically made for people who aren't from the area who think that 400k is a real steal for a huge brick box. You want to see more of the same? Try Knoxville.Same thing going on there too.I must have seen 20 Mcmansion developments from the air when I flew into Raleigh a few weeks ago. 4-6,000 square foot monsters. Totally wasteful of space and usually made cheapity-cheap cheap materials. The entire front forayer of this style of house takes up a huge amount of the interior and since these usually go through both stories, they waste electricity. All I can say is that energy is not going to get any cheaper, so the cost of SC and heat for these puppies is going to eat some people alive.

No offense, but homes like these represent everything that was wrong with the boom. We need to go back to building more reasonable houses. 1,000-1,200 square foot homes or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 03:18 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
Hm, the only house I cared for was this one:

Old 04-28-2008, 03:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyLu222 View Post
What do these people do for a living who live in these places !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Perhaps a married couple consisting of a doctor and a drug dealer.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 PM

60 posts, read 185,376 times
Yep....these are what they look like in N Raleigh. If you scroll up, the forth photo up looks just like Bill Cowher's house (I think it is his). You know..the retired Pittsburg Steelers Football Coach. After he retired, he moved back here to Raleigh to raise his family. His kids go to Ravens Croft School...a private school in N Raleigh (only $14,000 per kid per year to attend).

Old 04-28-2008, 04:00 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I
No offense, but homes like these represent everything that was wrong with the boom. We need to go back to building more reasonable houses. 1,000-1,200 square foot homes or less.

Dude, I'm not someone who wants at mcmansion-I'd be thrilled with a 2000sf solar powered house-but do you have kids? More than two? 1000sf is a tad tight for a family of more than 4.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:15 PM

60 posts, read 185,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Dude, I'm not someone who wants at mcmansion-I'd be thrilled with a 2000sf solar powered house-but do you have kids? More than two? 1000sf is a tad tight for a family of more than 4.
Well if I made 3-4 million a year, my closest alone may be 1200 sf.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:20 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyLu222 View Post
What do these people do for a living who live in these places !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Live only to make payments?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:56 PM

Looks like a lot of us are laughing at the showoffs who like to buy the biggest McMansion on the block just to make a statement of affluence.

If you criticize their wasteful conspicuous consumption, they say you are jealous that they can buy one but you can't.

There are some interesting verses in the Bible about what you can't take to Heaven when you pass.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:14 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Looks like a lot of us are laughing at the showoffs who like to buy the biggest McMansion on the block just to make a statement of affluence.

If you criticize their wasteful conspicuous consumption, they say you are jealous that they can buy one but you can't.

There are some interesting verses in the Bible about what you can't take to Heaven when you pass.

Well....
I sure don't understand the desire to laugh at anyone, particularly with the Good Book in hand.

I don't count the other guy's money.
Isn't that next to covetousness?
I don't judge his motivation.
One school of thought says that's the job of the Almighty, doesn't it?
So I've always heard, anyway.

We all have all the opportunity we could ever need to buy two or three of these homes, if that is what motivates us to earn it.

And I'm not jealous of anyone on Earth.

If these folks are in these homes and happy, I'm glad for them.
Works for me.

"Next!"

Old 04-28-2008, 06:23 PM

Somewhat agree, Mike, but they are wasting our resources by taking more than they most likely need.

I definitely don't covet McMansions. Just moved in my apt community to a 1BR from a 2BR since we no longer required the extra room now that our son stopped visiting from PA and got his own apt in our community.

Waste not, want not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary