Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 03:33 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
he did ask about "investment purposes".

A house just sold in our neighborhood. The new owners have purchased 3 houses in the area over the last two months. I think we will see more and more of this with the Amazon/Apple possibilities. My HOA is moving to limit the number of rentals in our 'hood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
[/b]

How are they going to do this?
I was wondering the same thing.
Revising property rights in arrears seems to me would be quite challenging, and easily challenged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 07:02 PM

465 posts, read 699,493 times
If I were an HOA and wanted to limit rentals, probably the only way to do so would be financially, like a fee or something that landlords have to pay. Otherwise no idea how to enforce.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:37 PM

120 posts, read 97,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
"Most Desirable" to ME (as a Realtor) means homes sell FAST for TOP DOLLAR, continue to go up in price, great schools, good shopping, to name a few things! I'm basing this on what my clients ask for.

So...here is MY OPINION, based on MY EXPERIENCE:

Wake County:

1. ITB
2. North Raleigh
3. Cary (Closer to RTP as in West Cary/Morrisville area tends to be more desirable than South Cary)
4. Apex
5. Holly Springs
6. Wake Forest

Chapel Hill is desirable due to the great schools (city, not so much county) BUT...many people don't love the "charm" of Chapel Hill. Homes are older and town is smaller so less homes plus great schools equal high demand equal higher prices.

Durham has some great areas and some not so great. And today, many of the not so great areas are up and coming and have become DESIRABLE! For example...the area around Holloway Street...has some issues but homes are selling like crazy! Especially the flipped homes.

Johnston County has grown in the last 8 years. There were a couple of years that the population increased 400%! Clayton is a great area for getting lots of land and house for your money. The Johnston County schools in the Clayton area have really good scores!

I could go on and on...
Thank you Vicki! Thats what I meant about most desirable

Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Fastest selling homes are in South Durham.

"top dollar" as in highest price per sq ft is ITB Raleigh, Chapel Hill, DT Durham, West Cary, Apex.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:20 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdreamer View Post
Mind your school assignments if considering the hottest areas. Massive growth in Western Wake County, Cary, Apex, Morrisville, is wreaking havoc with some folks' planning.
Don't invest heavily based only on current assignments.

Likewise, be careful investing in other outlying areas.
Select a location primarily because you like it and want to live there, not because it is hot.
The biggest hits and the most foreclosures in 2009--2012 were out on the edges, where builders slashed prices to move inventory and owners who bought hot hot hot properties could not compete or make a short sale work to move their homes.

Holly Springs and Clayton have a lot going for them (although town planning skills are suspect), but if you have a life change or just think you made a mistake, you will compete with new construction for many years to come.

I didn't post flippantly when mentioning DT Cary.
In 2010, buyers would ask me about appreciation, and I would speak of capital preservation. Location, Location, Location, with a long-term view. People who bought "close to the action" rather than out on the edges did better than the pioneers.
DT Cary and ITB provide some ongoing security, although both are a bit frothy.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 10-12-2018 at 05:52 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 05:42 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
[/b]

How are they going to do this?
IDK. They polled us homeowners to if there is support to get an attorney involved. Overwhelming support ... so I guess the attorney consult will shed some light.

They aren't looking to tell current landlords they can't rent and there will be recognition of special circumstances (for instance we have neighbors that have been renting their house while they are on assignment somewhere else but they plan to move back....and they have been on top of getting rid of problem renters since they eventually plan to move back to the house).

Old 10-12-2018, 07:10 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdreamer View Post
Like I said, you aren't the first to ask this question! Glad it helped!

Old 10-12-2018, 08:43 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
IDK. They polled us homeowners to if there is support to get an attorney involved. Overwhelming support ... so I guess the attorney consult will shed some light.

They aren't looking to tell current landlords they can't rent and there will be recognition of special circumstances (for instance we have neighbors that have been renting their house while they are on assignment somewhere else but they plan to move back....and they have been on top of getting rid of problem renters since they eventually plan to move back to the house).
We lived in a HOA in Chandler, AZ that tried to do this. What Twingles described it pretty much what they wanted. Supporters went through the community (Maybe 400-500 homes) with a petition to see if they could anticipate getting support for the change. To make the change would have required a very high number of yes votes. I forget The exact percentage - maybe 90%??? The petition indicated it wouldn't pass, and the idea was dropped.

I'll add that this occurred around 2007 when Metro Phoenix had its first real estate recession, the one before the 'Great Recession' of 2008. Phoenix was the 2nd worst drop in the country, and RE prices in many areas still haven't recovered. The community DID fill with rentals (many owned by investors who picked up the properties after foreclosure), and it HAS gone downhill.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 10-12-2018 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 11:20 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:

i would think that is going to be tough to enforce and expensive to create/implement. Plus, they could all claim "I have been reassigned but I plan to come back... I really, really do!"

Old 10-12-2018, 01:35 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Fastest selling homes are in South Durham.

"top dollar" as in highest price per sq ft is ITB Raleigh, Chapel Hill, DT Durham, West Cary, Apex.
since it's a pleasant Friday afternoon, of 319 sales this year in the Triangle = > 300/sqft (excluding > 1 acre land plays):

149 or 55% are ITB

5 or 1.6% are in Cary/Morrisville/Apex

81 or 25% are in Downtown Durham

38 or 12% are in Chapel Hill

the rest are smattered all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary