Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
he did ask about "investment purposes".

A house just sold in our neighborhood. The new owners have purchased 3 houses in the area over the last two months. I think we will see more and more of this with the Amazon/Apple possibilities. My HOA is moving to limit the number of rentals in our 'hood.
for those asking ... I'm not a property rights attorney, but can't an HOA vote for changes to the By-Laws? If they can limit what personal property you can have on the real property, limit your expansion at your desire on the real property, why couldn't they limit the homes that are not owner-occupied?

Now, would someone who ("had to") move away and rented the house out to avoid financial hardship have a case? Maybe so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 07:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,275,704 times
Alexander Place (townhomes) were built by Westfield Homes around 2005 and it is in their covenants that you cannot use the townhomes as rentals.

I also remember Westfield saying that if there was a "hardship" involved, the HOA would re-consider.

At the time, the onsite agent told my client that she thought some homeowners would end up renting their townhomes out instead of selling but "if no one knew...".

It seems that a few years ago, the homeowners tried to get the HOA rule of no renter reversed but I don't think they got it passed.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:20 PM

22,692 posts, read 36,870,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
i would think that is going to be tough to enforce and expensive to create/implement. Plus, they could all claim "I have been reassigned but I plan to come back... I really, really do!"
I don't think it's any harder to enforce than any other by-law. For starters, if it's in the covenants and you're an investor buying to rent it out, you're certainly going to think twice about it. I would think you'd go look at the neighborhood next door which has no such restriction. Why take the chance on your investment not working out? Speaking only for my neighborhood, I would not anticipate a high number of long time owners (which is most of this neighborhood) suddenly deciding to rent out their homes while they claim to be away on assignment somewhere. First of all, if you're NOT actually moving out of town for said assignment, you actually have to find another place to live, which seems counter productive.

Certainly if someone just bought the house and then suddenly rented it out and claimed that it would be a different story and probably subject to the restriction. I would think someone smart enough to have enough money to buy investment properties would realize that's probably not the greatest idea - if the neighborhood went to the trouble to have the restriction, they're probably committed to enforcing it. We have some pretty smart people living here, and like I said they are consulting an attorney knowledgeable in this area, so we will see what happens.

Like it or not, the rentals in a neighborhood are pretty obvious for various reasons, which is why 88% of the neighborhood (just about every household voted) agreed with the proposal.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:25 PM

22,692 posts, read 36,870,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Alexander Place (townhomes) were built by Westfield Homes around 2005 and it is in their covenants that you cannot use the townhomes as rentals.

My parents lived in a TH in NY and the community had a restriction too. There was will to enforce it, so it worked.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:34 PM

105 posts, read 101,847 times
Does Knightdale count as the triangle? Maybe not because it's not within city limits but it's a very desirable area with property values rising almost 30% over the past 3 years. Close to Raleigh, plenty of restaurants and stores (not quite where it needs to be yet but still good), plenty of land to build on. Knightdale also has very low crime, is quiet as many parts of it are still undeveloped so many communities are surrounded by trees, and I can go on.

With the new outer beltline expansion, once it's completed you'll be able to get from Knightdale to any part of Raleigh or suburb in no time.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:45 AM

43,372 posts, read 77,271,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDevil View Post
Does Knightdale count as the triangle? Maybe not because it's not within city limits but it's a very desirable area with property values rising almost 30% over the past 3 years. Close to Raleigh, plenty of restaurants and stores (not quite where it needs to be yet but still good), plenty of land to build on. Knightdale also has very low crime, is quiet as many parts of it are still undeveloped so many communities are surrounded by trees, and I can go on.

With the new outer beltline expansion, once it's completed you'll be able to get from Knightdale to any part of Raleigh or suburb in no time.
Knightdale is definitely in the Triangle. All of Wake County is.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:30 AM

873 posts, read 1,020,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDevil View Post

With the new outer beltline expansion, once it's completed you'll be able to get from Knightdale to any part of Raleigh or suburb in no time
That sounds great until you realize that likely won't become a reality for a decade at least. While the last leg of 540 has been approved by the federal government, there's a lot more that has to be done to create the roads. he NCDOT must now start acquiring the land -- 1,825 acres -- to build the highway. An estimated 209 residences, 5 businesses and 3 non-profit organizations must move. And lawsuits from environmental groups are blocking the work.

Finally, the priority is to build the leg from Holly Springs to I-40 first, and that's estimated optimistically to be completed by 2023. The part from I-40 to Knightdale will be the last one done.

For more information, read this: https://abc11.com/traffic/most-will-...homes/3578322/

Old 10-13-2018, 08:55 AM

662 posts, read 1,646,354 times
Dare I say the neighborhoods around the perimeter of Dix Park: Caraleigh, Maywood, Fuller Heights, Boylan, Kirby-Bilyeu?

Old 10-13-2018, 09:04 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,907,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
since it's a pleasant Friday afternoon, of 319 sales this year in the Triangle = > 300/sqft (excluding > 1 acre land plays):

149 or 55% are ITB

5 or 1.6% are in Cary/Morrisville/Apex

81 or 25% are in Downtown Durham

38 or 12% are in Chapel Hill

the rest are smattered all over.
This made me curious enough to refresh my memory of exactly what the ITB borders were (I'm one of those people who is 100% GPS dependent. I know the name of the roads where our home and DH's pool hall are located, and that's about it).

In looking for a map, I found these and thought it was pretty funny. Maybe it's been posted before, but I've never seen them.

https://judgmentalmaps.com/post/84528144610/raleigh

https://judgmentalmaps.com/post/159194263310/chapelhill

Now, can somebody provide me with what on was actually looking for, please? Don't tell me "Inside The Beltway.". It won't help.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 10-13-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-13-2018, 10:15 AM

805 posts, read 526,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This made me curious enough to refresh my memory of exactly what the ITB borders were (I'm one of those people who is 100% GPS dependent. I know the name of the roads where our home and DH's pool hall are located, and that's about it).

In looking for a map, I found these and thought it was pretty funny. Maybe it's been posted before, but I've never seen them.

https://judgmentalmaps.com/post/84528144610/raleigh

https://judgmentalmaps.com/post/159194263310/chapelhill

Now, can somebody provide me with what on was actually looking for, please? Don't tell me "Inside The Beltway.". It won't help.
You can trace the Beltline (440) with your finger on the Zillow app and search inside it.
Attached Thumbnails
Most desirable areas in Triangle-28d886f7-f8a6-4492-be03-10945716f8cc.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary