Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 08:12 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 3 girls View Post
Just wanted give an update: She made it home just fine. Came home 40 to 85 to 485. I was just a nervous mom who was worried about her daughter driving home in all of this mess. Thank you so much for the reassurance and advice.
Glad she made it safe & sound. Don't feel too bad for worrying. My 91 yr old mother worries everytime she sees there's a big storm headed into the area and calls because she watches the weather channel & they of course show the worst, most dangerous conditions to keep viewers watching. In other words, you'll always worry about your girls!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 08:15 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
They're scrambling for excuses for round the clock coverage.

Practically 24/7 coverage. This storm I kept the TV off and didn't watch any news. I saw a once a day forecast update online and that was plenty to keep me apprised.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:19 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
The only news coverage I've watched on this storm was when Katheryn Brown I think it
was her, was riding through Myrtle Beach. The palm trees were swaying in the wind as they
might do during a typical thunderstorm. She commented how an "awning" had blown
off a hotel. I was thinking noooo.... that's part of the roof. I have a feeling what I have
gotten tonight, which is next to nothing, is going to be all I'm going to get. I also think it will
be over in time for me to go to work in the morning. I miss the good ole days when there was
hardly any news coverage on a storm and what there was, was short, factual and to the point...

Old 09-05-2019, 08:20 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Breaking News: The whirlygigs are moving in the wind like they're supposed to...just like they were 20 minutes ago, and the 20 minutes before that...and the 20 minutes before that....

Old 09-05-2019, 08:27 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Honest question - WRAL keeps showing gust speeds from buoys around the eye of the storm, and there's nothing over 50mph or so. How is that possible? Outside of the tornadoes has there been any issues on the NC coast? The eye wall supposedly passed right over cape fear(?)
Looks like will just miss Cape Fear and go over Cape Lookout. Almost worse for eyewall to pass than eye itself. Almost seems like tornadoes worse issue than hurricane- that said still hoping I don’t lose power or any trees!

Old 09-06-2019, 06:00 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
Sorry, I haven't read all 31 pages of this

With all this non-stop hurricane coverage for a storm that didn't do too much damage to this tv market, are we getting into a "Boy who cried wolf" situation? Sure you should do prep just in case, but having so many hours of reporters trying to find a story has how many people turning off the tv or changing the channel to something else.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:07 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post

With all this non-stop hurricane coverage for a storm that didn't do too much damage to this tv market, are we getting into a "Boy who cried wolf" situation? Sure you should do prep just in case, but having so many hours of reporters trying to find a story has how many people turning off the tv or changing the channel to something else.

Of course.
After a small bit of TV breathlessness, I only tune in for the occasional "JOTB" story.

Spoiler
Jeep On The Beach.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:26 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post

Cut the cord then you skip the commercials too.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:40 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
ABC11 is still covering the hurricane despite it having moved well out of our viewing area.

I understood the 24/7 coverage during Florence since it did take a toll on many in the viewing area, but this one, not so much.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:41 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Cut the cord then you skip the commercials too.
Skip commercials on live tv?

Anyhow, this way overblown in the Triangle. It's great that even the coast doesn't seem to be affected very much, but the news stations need to relax. They had the track right on the money, so they should have been very confident of what the affects would be in the Triangle.

Whoever issued the tropical storm warning, was wrong, period. I don't even understand how it works because the NOAA never had the Triangle under a tropical storm on their maps. It was some local NWS or something that issued the warning. That's the warning that made WCPSS freak out and cancel school prematurely for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary