Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 04:40 PM

28 posts, read 17,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
I moved our family (from family) to Raleigh 35 years ago. Within a year my only regret was not doing it years before. Raleigh is a completely different city today but for the most part an even better city. I feel confident if you make this move your only regret will be you didn't do it sooner.
Thank you : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 06:22 PM

321 posts, read 257,391 times
The heat/humidity, while a reality this region, is highly subjective relative to individual tolerance.

I moved here from the San Diego area in July at the peak of a summer heat wave. Yes, it was uncomfortable at times but not unbearable. However, l am cold blooded and prefer heat to chilly weather.

With regard to Phoenix feeling less miserable, l would have to respectfully disagree. The heat index is a more accurate measure of what the body feels and factors in humidity.

In a list of cities with the highest average indexes, Phoenix is #1 (Raleigh is #18).

https://www.bertsperling.com/2013/07...ew-heat-index/

Old 10-05-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
The heat/humidity, while a reality this region, is highly subjective relative to individual tolerance.

I moved here from the San Diego area in July at the peak of a summer heat wave. Yes, it was uncomfortable at times but not unbearable. However, l am cold blooded and prefer heat to chilly weather.

With regard to Phoenix feeling less miserable, l would have to respectfully disagree. The heat index is a more accurate measure of what the body feels and factors in humidity.

In a list of cities with the highest average indexes, Phoenix is #1 (Raleigh is #18).

https://www.bertsperling.com/2013/07...ew-heat-index/
Thank you! I've gotten so many opinions on the Summers out there. It's hard to gauge because some find it bearable and others find it completely oppressive. Personally, I find our summer weather oppressive. 100+ for 3 months. Our electricity bills are through the roof because of the air conditioning

Old 10-05-2019, 07:14 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
The weather thing is so subjective, it's crazy to think one person can make another's decision on it. Even within a family....my son can't handle anything over 70*. Oh well! I was in AZ once in my life, and it was late March. Went to a spring training game and felt like the skin was going to melt off my body. You know when heat is so intense it feels cold? That's what it was like. Got the worst nosebleed of my life that night and DH ended up sick as a dog for the plane ride home.

The thing I dislike most about the heat here is the fact that there's rarely a break from it. I would prefer an earlier autumn, and I'd prefer some breaks from it over the summer. The trade off is much more pleasant winters.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The weather thing is so subjective, it's crazy to think one person can make another's decision on it. Even within a family....my son can't handle anything over 70*. Oh well! I was in AZ once in my life, and it was late March. Went to a spring training game and felt like the skin was going to melt off my body. You know when heat is so intense it feels cold? That's what it was like. Got the worst nosebleed of my life that night and DH ended up sick as a dog for the plane ride home.

The thing I dislike most about the heat here is the fact that there's rarely a break from it. I would prefer an earlier autumn, and I'd prefer some breaks from it over the summer. The trade off is much more pleasant winters.
I just went to visit family in Cincinnati a few weeks ago and the temp was 94 + 60 something percent humidity. It was pretty hot but my daughter and I stayed in it for a while and it wasn't too bad.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:40 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
I gotta admit, when it was 100 degrees on Thursday this week or whatever day it as, it really wasn't overly noticeable because it wasn't humid. When it's 95 and humid it's a different story. That being said, unless you work outside, it's really not a big deal.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I gotta admit, when it was 100 degrees on Thursday this week or whatever day it as, it really wasn't overly noticeable because it wasn't humid. When it's 95 and humid it's a different story. That being said, unless you work outside, it's really not a big deal.
I did notice the temps this week.
But good to know that it wasn't that bad

Old 10-06-2019, 07:42 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
The positive of the humidity is once you have soaked through your clothes from working outside, the sweat in them has a bit of a cooling effect (or maybe that the severe dehydration). [My project at home this summer was expanding a deck in our backyard. Afyer a couple of hours outside, could wring the sweat out of shirts and shorts. ]

Old 10-06-2019, 08:09 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
I think the biggest pro to the Raleigh area is it's smaller size and lower density. My wife and I have been spending a lot of time in large city recently and when we get back here we're like "whew!". It is so much calmer especially where we hang out (North/NE Raleigh and Wake Forest).

The weather here is not perfect most of the time but keep in mind if you are visiting next week there basically is no better time weather-wise. Spring has similar temps but the pollen is insufferable. Keep that in mind and don't think it's always like this.

As far as COL goes the Raleigh area has catapulted our financial lives. We moved here with almost nothing and thru a combination of good job/career growth and low housing costs have really gotten ahead here, and that included a slog thru the recession. Depending on location you can buy into a nice neighborhood in the 300-400 range. You can of course spend a LOT more but it's not necessarily to live in a comfortable safe place. If you've ever heard of FI/RE that is what we practice so live in a cheaper home but financially speaking this place is a really good combo. While I wouldn't live someone strictly for low COL, Raleigh does have that good balance.

The worst part about it is the 6% state income tax but coming from CA your rate is up there too so not really a negative for you guys.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I think the biggest pro to the Raleigh area is it's smaller size and lower density. My wife and I have been spending a lot of time in large city recently and when we get back here we're like "whew!". It is so much calmer especially where we hang out (North/NE Raleigh and Wake Forest).

The weather here is not perfect most of the time but keep in mind if you are visiting next week there basically is no better time weather-wise. Spring has similar temps but the pollen is insufferable. Keep that in mind and don't think it's always like this.

As far as COL goes the Raleigh area has catapulted our financial lives. We moved here with almost nothing and thru a combination of good job/career growth and low housing costs have really gotten ahead here, and that included a slog thru the recession. Depending on location you can buy into a nice neighborhood in the 300-400 range. You can of course spend a LOT more but it's not necessarily to live in a comfortable safe place. If you've ever heard of FI/RE that is what we practice so live in a cheaper home but financially speaking this place is a really good combo. While I wouldn't live someone strictly for low COL, Raleigh does have that good balance.

The worst part about it is the 6% state income tax but coming from CA your rate is up there too so not really a negative for you guys.
Thank you so much. I did tell my husband that I wanted to go in August to get a real taste but we couldn't make it happen. I figured next weekend would probably be the best weather and same goes for where I live. It's finally cooling down but still warm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary