Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 01:19 PM

204 posts, read 384,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I think someone would be delusional to think that the towns and cities of yesteryear are even remotely coming back to where they once were.

I'm not sure why you think one generation is any different than the last. I mean really...millennials are the first generation to focus on themselves? Wow definitely news to the Gen X's lol.

From a Time cover story on Gen X as 20-somethings:

What's funny about quotes like that is you can find them about every previous generation talking about the next, back thousands of years.

Here is one from 1600 years ago.

Here is one from only 800 years ago:

But, you're probably right. Millennials definitely are the first group who are "keeping up with the Jones's" and trying to fit in within the community. *eyeroll*
Congratulations, you win (whatever it is you are trying to win). Though I have gotten confused on your stance. Do millennials have the same problems as other generations or not? On one hand you say that it is terrible for them, but on the other you think every generation is the same.

Regardless, as I tried to say before, I am out. Good luck and congrats on the victory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 01:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,504,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
Congratulations, you win (whatever it is you are trying to win). Though I have gotten confused on your stance. Do millennials have the same problems as other generations or not? On one hand you say that it is terrible for them, but on the other you think every generation is the same.

Regardless, as I tried to say before, I am out. Good luck and congrats on the victory!
No I said every generation says the same things about the next. Basically what you said was "different" about millennials, as in their mentality, the generation before you said the same about you. You just weren't aware of it at the time.

Millennials and more so Gen Z face much bigger problems economically than previous generations did. Less good jobs and higher housing and educational costs mostly. Not insurmountable but parlaying Boomer and Gen X experiences onto Millennials doesn't do them justice.

In short, the older generations needs to get over themselves. But, the younger ones also need to man up and find their own way. I do hope things get better especially for the less educated, and cutting taxes (typical government response) won't do them any good since they already pay little tax, and automation is going to eventually rear it's ugly head and cause mass social unrest a la Hong Kong (obviously for different reasons there).

So I guess invest in guns, ammo, and gold?

Old 11-13-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
No I said every generation says the same things about the next. Basically what you said was "different" about millennials, as in their mentality, the generation before you said the same about you. You just weren't aware of it at the time.

Millennials and more so Gen Z face much bigger problems economically than previous generations did. Less good jobs and higher housing and educational costs mostly. Not insurmountable but parlaying Boomer and Gen X experiences onto Millennials doesn't do them justice.

In short, the older generations needs to get over themselves. But, the younger ones also need to man up and find their own way. I do hope things get better especially for the less educated, and cutting taxes (typical government response) won't do them any good since they already pay little tax, and automation is going to eventually rear it's ugly head and cause mass social unrest a la Hong Kong (obviously for different reasons there).

One huge element that I do agree with you completely is the impact of automation. I have seen percentages range from 10% to 40% of total jobs at high risk for automation. That is terrifying for all, but especially Millennials and Gen Z. Innovation, while great, does come at a cost.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:05 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,986,567 times
Quote:

when a voting majority have so little invested in the status quo they will vote for drastic change as we see with folks like warren and sanders leading the democratic ticket.

PS millennials are the largest demographic in the workforce

Old 11-13-2019, 06:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,776,702 times
Quote:
In short, the older generations needs to get over themselves.
I posted a reply to this thread just describing my experience as a young baby boomer trying to make it in life. I totally agree that later generations (xyz's or whatever) probably worked as hard or harder and found it difficult to achieve what I did.

I will say I worked my _ss off for 7 years working 2 jobs and/or going to college before being able to buy our 1st house for $18K. A 50's 1400sq ft that didn't have AC or much of anything else and later generations wouldn't have settled for.

I absolutely love and admire the thousands of young military personnel and their families that live in mold infested housing and deploy time after time leaving family. It's amazing you don't hear these hero's complaining about things like this.

I lost a brother in Vietnam that never returned to 'enjoy' our baby boomer luxury life. I have another brother veteran that is suffering from 'agent orange' with things (diabetes, heart issues, etc) that our family history never experienced.

And for whats it's worth I never looked back at my parents (1912-1916) and thought I was losing lifestyle because of their generation. I don't know what the current terminology is for that period but holy cow, depression, WW2, Korean War ... my most admired and respected generation .....

Old 11-13-2019, 07:19 PM

555 posts, read 503,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
I think a major difference between the three most recent working generations (Baby Boomers, Gen-X, and Millennial) are the complaints, blame, and finger pointing. BB and Gen-X certainly had their gripes about what they went through compared to their parents generation, but they simply sucked it up and found a way to make the world for for them. I am solid Gen-X, and I was from the era where we weren't making anything close what our parents were, no job market stability, no pensions, and zero corporate loyalty - but we put our heads down and carved out a great life seeking out success and happiness wherever we could find it.

I don't want to pile on Millennials because there is enough of that. I think their technological savviness, and lack of seeing traditional boundaries will do wonders for the world. However, too often they fall into the "I want it now" and "Give it to me for free" groups that drowns out the many positives.
I agree with not piling on Millennials. I am extremely close to being one myself, depending on what year the "cutoff" is from Gen X. Many are hardworking, enterprising, and went the extra mile in achieving a higher education. Some of us were young enough during the recession to not need to deeply panic and sunk as much money as we could into market then (following the classic "buy low" advice). Many are doing their best despite less than ideal financial circumstances, but they're working through it. Housing costs are staggering at times, and have definitely changed drastically in the last decade. However. The ones who complain incessantly -- the ones who seem to spend more energy tweeting their frustrations or sharing OK Boomer memes on Facebook -- and you know who I mean, those are the complainers -- are showing an immense lack of gratitude. I can't personally excuse that or get over it. It's one thing to laugh at a Boomer joke now and then, and take a Millennial joke back in turn, whatever, there's always going to be generational friction. It's another to lament one's "terrible" fate and how awful it is now compared to those who have gone before us and make it the theme song of their life. I look around at what we have and it is just staggeringly luxurious. Medicine to treat a million diseases and ailments. Incredibly safe (and yes, expensive) vehicles. *The extremely tiny number of people who have personally engaged in warfare.* The incredible, never-before-experienced opportunities in education thanks to the Internet and the options to take classes online, according to your own schedule, or totally free options like Khan Academy for those with a genuine interest in simply broadening their minds. I could go on and on. My dad was born in a house without central heat or indoor plumbing and he had to work at the family farm every day before and after school so they could all survive. And here I am, a young Gen Xer or old Millennial, flipping my heat on with a switch and driving my kid to gymnastics after work. It's mind-blowing when you really think about it. I don't discount problems we face, but a few young people are being too extreme about some of them (climate, for example -- a real issue but honestly the wailing and endless "we are doomed" is over the top), and the complainers are rarely the ones really working hard toward genuine solutions to them.

Sorry I got on a tangent and this will probably be deleted because this thread is so far off topic, but the lack of gratitude and perspective in a few people, currently of the Millennial generation but certainly could be applied to a few others in their time, is what stands out to me the most.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:59 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,878,177 times
Not sure if this fans the flames or dampens them with levity, but when this came up on my FB feed today it made me think of this thread.

Or, neither

Old 11-15-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Not sure if this fans the flames or dampens them with levity, but when this came up on my FB feed today it made me think of this thread.

Or, neither
This is beautiful, definitely gave me a smile!

Old 12-02-2019, 07:20 AM

1,204 posts, read 783,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Anecdotal and observational, but still ... I believe one of the reasons younger adults often don't own homes is because of their refusal to accept anything less than luxury. It's way more comfortable to live at home with Mom & Dad than it is to do all the things that my generation did when we were young adults -- live with roommates, in crappy apartments, driving crappy cars, and saving up for years so we could buy something. And when we bought, it was a small home that wasn't brand new. In short, we settled, something this generation seems unwilling to do. The house has got to have expensive countertops and hardwoods and a big footprint. So instead of buying a simple house, they rent luxury apartments downtown and complain about not being able to afford a house. Delayed gratification is too hard. They want right now what Mom & Dad took decades to afford.
This is absolutely not true. Just because you see such homes in Redfin or Zillow doesn't mean that young people are buying them and that's what they demand. Since the last recession, the house flippers have been flipping homes, mostly old, dilapidated homes and getting them into "turnkey" condition. These turnkey houses are then purchased by other long-term investors who buy, rent and hold. When you bought your home the investors didn't hold the majority of the housing stock, so you could take your time and purchase what you wanted, and remodel it on your own. Currently, the housing stock is slim and mostly picked out by investors.

Most the people of my age (late 30s and yonger) do not want mcmansions, they actually want smaller, manageable houses that you do not have to spend lots of money to heat or cool. Also, if someone is spending 400+ for a house, it better be remodeled. Because after the closing costs, down-payment, etc.. sure as hell they wont have any money left to make any remodeling for at least for 5-10 years.

Finally, you need to actually look at some numbers... since the recession people living in multi-generational and/or shared houses has gone up. Which means young people ARE actually sharing their apartments with their roommates, or they are living with their parents so they can save up for a down-payment.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:45 AM

1,204 posts, read 783,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I agree with not piling on Millennials. I am extremely close to being one myself, depending on what year the "cutoff" is from Gen X. Many are hardworking, enterprising, and went the extra mile in achieving a higher education. Some of us were young enough during the recession to not need to deeply panic and sunk as much money as we could into market then (following the classic "buy low" advice). Many are doing their best despite less than ideal financial circumstances, but they're working through it. Housing costs are staggering at times, and have definitely changed drastically in the last decade. However. The ones who complain incessantly -- the ones who seem to spend more energy tweeting their frustrations or sharing OK Boomer memes on Facebook -- and you know who I mean, those are the complainers -- are showing an immense lack of gratitude. I can't personally excuse that or get over it. It's one thing to laugh at a Boomer joke now and then, and take a Millennial joke back in turn, whatever, there's always going to be generational friction. It's another to lament one's "terrible" fate and how awful it is now compared to those who have gone before us and make it the theme song of their life. I look around at what we have and it is just staggeringly luxurious. Medicine to treat a million diseases and ailments. Incredibly safe (and yes, expensive) vehicles. *The extremely tiny number of people who have personally engaged in warfare.* The incredible, never-before-experienced opportunities in education thanks to the Internet and the options to take classes online, according to your own schedule, or totally free options like Khan Academy for those with a genuine interest in simply broadening their minds. I could go on and on. My dad was born in a house without central heat or indoor plumbing and he had to work at the family farm every day before and after school so they could all survive. And here I am, a young Gen Xer or old Millennial, flipping my heat on with a switch and driving my kid to gymnastics after work. It's mind-blowing when you really think about it. I don't discount problems we face, but a few young people are being too extreme about some of them (climate, for example -- a real issue but honestly the wailing and endless "we are doomed" is over the top), and the complainers are rarely the ones really working hard toward genuine solutions to them.

Sorry I got on a tangent and this will probably be deleted because this thread is so far off topic, but the lack of gratitude and perspective in a few people, currently of the Millennial generation but certainly could be applied to a few others in their time, is what stands out to me the most.
1. It's naive to think that online classes give you the same opportunity as known, brick and mortar school. The kid who "graduated" or took a ton of MOOC will never ever compete with someone who graduated from a "XYZ University". In fact, all these online schools that claim that they are helping the poor is just not true. MOOC data that has been published by top schools show that the majority of people who take these online classes are educated people, those who already hold masters degrees. Online classes are just a way for Universities to say -- see, we are offering our classes to people who need it. In reality they do not recognize their own micromaster degrees they offer online. Those credits are not even transferrable or count towards the degree if you want to pursue a masters degree in that very institution.

2. Well, yeah, if I were a Gen Z, I would feel completely doomed. What is my future? Oceans full of plastic/micro-plastic, possible environment refugees flooding other countries, endless wars over water and limited resources, automation? I mean why wouldn't you be terrified? Look what happened within 4 years of administration that doesn't care for the environment? I am pretty sure they feel like everything is slipping away. I, personally, would be wailing. And, that's just the climate. When I think about the fact that these kids have to live in fear of getting shot while being at school. I mean I'd be a hermit... on anti-depressants. The fact these kids get up and go to school... and show interest in politics or the planet they live in -- I am actually pretty happy that they exit and not completely messed up (remember they lived through the whole post 9/11 as kids... imagine being terrified ALL THE TIME).

Just so I do not get off topic completely: It's an open mic night. So you came across a person who was angry... and from the sound of it, she had something to be angry about. This September, I was out in the downtown area, grabbed ice-cream from Parlour... and was hanging out in the square, minding my own business. These two guys with loudspeakers showed up and started preaching and telling everyone to get saved. They absolutely ruined that moment for me. I got up and left.... went to Fullsteam and had a nice evening there. There are other options. You don't have to try to shut people up, just because you do not agree with them.

Last edited by HatchChile; 12-02-2019 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary