Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 10:19 PM

555 posts, read 500,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
1. It's naive to think that online classes give you the same opportunity as known, brick and mortar school. The kid who "graduated" or took a ton of MOOC will never ever compete with someone who graduated from a "XYZ University". In fact, all these online schools that claim that they are helping the poor is just not true. MOOC data that has been published by top schools show that the majority of people who take these online classes are educated people, those who already hold masters degrees. Online classes are just a way for Universities to say -- see, we are offering our classes to people who need it. In reality they do not recognize their own micromaster degrees they offer online. Those credits are not even transferrable or count towards the degree if you want to pursue a masters degree in that very institution.

2. Well, yeah, if I were a Gen Z, I would feel completely doomed. What is my future? Oceans full of plastic/micro-plastic, possible environment refugees flooding other countries, endless wars over water and limited resources, automation? I mean why wouldn't you be terrified? Look what happened within 4 years of administration that doesn't care for the environment? I am pretty sure they feel like everything is slipping away. I, personally, would be wailing. And, that's just the climate. When I think about the fact that these kids have to live in fear of getting shot while being at school. I mean I'd be a hermit... on anti-depressants. The fact these kids get up and go to school... and show interest in politics or the planet they live in -- I am actually pretty happy that they exit and not completely messed up (remember they lived through the whole post 9/11 as kids... imagine being terrified ALL THE TIME).

Just so I do not get off topic completely: It's an open mic night. So you came across a person who was angry... and from the sound of it, she had something to be angry about. This September, I was out in the downtown area, grabbed ice-cream from Parlour... and was hanging out in the square, minding my own business. These two guys with loudspeakers showed up and started preaching and telling everyone to get saved. They absolutely ruined that moment for me. I got up and left.... went to Fullsteam and had a nice evening there. There are other options. You don't have to try to shut people up, just because you do not agree with them.
1. You are choosing to focus on the negative and cherry picking examples to do so. The options to take classes online as a part of or whole portion of a degree from an accredited brock-and-mortar university have come very far in what is offered and allows incredible flexibility compared to what students had available to them in the past. Pursuing higher education and working full-time to support oneself used to be mutually exclusive activities out of necessity, for the most part, and that is no longer the case. My own husband returned to school to finish his bachelor's degree (from a brick and mortar state school) in his 30s and couldn't have done it without the number of classes he took online. Obviously, one has to be careful about what schools and programs to choose to make the most of one's time. And by education, I didn't mean exclusively a degree. Several free or cheap apps are available to help anyone expand their knowledge on any number of topics, from foreign languages to investing to basic math.

2. Thank you for illustrating my earlier point so well on how the biggest complainers are not the ones bringing solutions to the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 04:59 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
.......... how did we get here?

Old 12-03-2019, 06:40 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

The usual way....

https://youtu.be/eci-AKDo2wQ

Old 12-03-2019, 07:30 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
1. You are choosing to focus on the negative and cherry picking examples to do so. The options to take classes online as a part of or whole portion of a degree from an accredited brock-and-mortar university have come very far in what is offered and allows incredible flexibility compared to what students had available to them in the past. Pursuing higher education and working full-time to support oneself used to be mutually exclusive activities out of necessity, for the most part, and that is no longer the case. My own husband returned to school to finish his bachelor's degree (from a brick and mortar state school) in his 30s and couldn't have done it without the number of classes he took online. Obviously, one has to be careful about what schools and programs to choose to make the most of one's time. And by education, I didn't mean exclusively a degree. Several free or cheap apps are available to help anyone expand their knowledge on any number of topics, from foreign languages to investing to basic math.

2. Thank you for illustrating my earlier point so well on how the biggest complainers are not the ones bringing solutions to the table.
1. The usual trope: if you could just do this, just like I did.... you'd get there as well. If you just work hard enough you get this. People who keep saying such things do not realize that things that worked out for them might not be reality for other people. Underlying point of your post is "there are ALL these possibilities, but these people still cannot seem to make it." Which is absolutely not true. I am glad that you and your husband were smart enough, lucky enough to have that knowledge to choose the courses that meant something and further helped in your careers. Not everyone is as fortunate as you are. They do not have the know-how to make those choices and end up with a boatload of student debt from some mediocre online universities. There are first generation students who end up with useless degrees and 50-100K student debts because they didn't have parents who could help them navigate the system. Not everything is easy. Pointing out that there is Khan Academy, EdX or Coursera out there is like completely ignoring other problem that millenials face... such as shortage of housing, stagnate wages, student debt.

2. Please enlighten me how exactly I did that? Also, how am I supposed to bring solutions to the table? I am not Leo Di Caprio or Jane Goodall. Not everyone can do that. All we can do fight this crisis however we can. All I can do is do not use plastic, compost whenever I can, recycle (not a solution since China is not buying our crap -- so deliberately decreasing use of plastic is the best thing we can do as a society right now), and resist buying single use crap that I do not use, support local makers and farmers. That's all I can do. But, I also can understand the frustration of teenagers and accept the fact that they are inheriting this messed up world. What you are saying about these people, underplaying their fears about the climate is condescending.

Last edited by HatchChile; 12-03-2019 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: grammar... English is not my first language, sorry.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:36 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

Yeah, sorry for adding to that off topic stuff. If only the woman who did that open mic thing in Cocoa Cinnamon knew that she generated so much discussion here. She'd probably be proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary