Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:11 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfootma View Post
I know that, Funky Chicken, but I'm just not into strip mall after strip mall, wide streets upon which sub-division after sub-division branches off. I'd like something closer to what I had in WA and MA. Don't want to repeat Northern VA.

It will be less house in CH but it will still be cheaper than that like-sized house here in MA.

I looked around Cary. If we wanted to spend $300-400K, I didn't like what we could get. Even $500K was a small lot, few trees, just a few different housing plans. In CH, even the close-in to town neighborhoods (more expensive than a bit further out, which is probably where we'll go), there seemed to be some nice stuff available in the $500-600 range.
Price and value are always a question of perspective, webfootma. If you are in Mass. now and lived in NoVA at one time, Chapel Hill probably still seems like a relative bargain. When I moved here from CT in 2003 I was floored by what my housing dollar bought in Cary. The last few years have brought big changes-I'm glad I got here when I did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 10:54 PM

150 posts, read 506,991 times
Hi there-My husband and I are moving to Cary at the end of September-early October this year. We have been planning this for the last year, and finally took a longer vacation out to the RTP area in April. We are very excited about the move. Some might think we are crazy, as we currently live a mile from the beach in a smaller town in Northern California. Why are we moving? Overcrowding, crime, outrageous housing prices......we enjoy the outdoors, birdwatching, running, you name it. We were so impressed with the parks and just how spread out and uncrowded everything was in the RTP area. The people were so friendly (most had relocated to the area more recently). We were a little underwhelmed with the food choices -not a whole lot like California choices...but we'll figure that one out.
We started getting the local paper from Wake Forrest last year, but after a short time realized that the town might be a little too small for our taste. Anyhow-Cary seemed to be the prettiest, with dense forest that most reminded us of home, but lots of space in spite of all of the construction of new homes. We liked parts of Durham were a little nervous about some of the run down and industrial areas (both in Durham and Raleigh).
We have found apartments right on a lake that will suffice until we find a home that we want to purchase. I work in the Pharmaceutical industry- so I am hoping the job search goes smoothly.
I am just curious to know what kinds of things folks in Cary enjoy doing? I.E what kinds of things are there to do in Cary? Outdoors?
Thank you!

Old 06-23-2007, 12:28 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,242 times
Cary is a suburb. There is a heart of Cary a downtown and the outskirts. There are strip malls and some outdoors areas. You cannot ride your quad there. The only outdoors you are going to get is your backyard. Cary is sprawling like mad. Having lived in the area in the 90's and now looking to move back I will not move to Cary. 300K buys you nothing great there. A tiny lot with an overpriced home. I don't like new construction it takes too much time to go through all that again. You need a realtor and to start looking for what you like, and what amenities you need. Relo is a big deal. Moving that far involves homework. Do not let a magazine tell you where to live.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:37 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinabean View Post
Hi there-My husband and I are moving to Cary at the end of September-early October this year. We have been planning this for the last year, and finally took a longer vacation out to the RTP area in April. We are very excited about the move. Some might think we are crazy, as we currently live a mile from the beach in a smaller town in Northern California. Why are we moving? Overcrowding, crime, outrageous housing prices......we enjoy the outdoors, birdwatching, running, you name it. We were so impressed with the parks and just how spread out and uncrowded everything was in the RTP area. The people were so friendly (most had relocated to the area more recently). We were a little underwhelmed with the food choices -not a whole lot like California choices...but we'll figure that one out.
We started getting the local paper from Wake Forrest last year, but after a short time realized that the town might be a little too small for our taste. Anyhow-Cary seemed to be the prettiest, with dense forest that most reminded us of home, but lots of space in spite of all of the construction of new homes. We liked parts of Durham were a little nervous about some of the run down and industrial areas (both in Durham and Raleigh).
We have found apartments right on a lake that will suffice until we find a home that we want to purchase. I work in the Pharmaceutical industry- so I am hoping the job search goes smoothly.
I am just curious to know what kinds of things folks in Cary enjoy doing? I.E what kinds of things are there to do in Cary? Outdoors?
Thank you!
Outdoor activities in Cary include walking, birding, canoeing/kayaking on lakes, gardening, bicycling, competitive and spectator sports, concerts, fishing, etc.
Town of Cary Parks and Recreation Home Page (http://www.townofcary.org/tupage/recreation.htm - broken link)

And this does not take into account the easy access to much of what Raleigh has to offer (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&cached=true&parentna me=CommunityPage&parentid=0&in_hi_userid=2&control =SetCommunity&PageID=0&CommunityID=209 - broken link), or Wake County Parks and Recreation, or that you can even easily cross county lines to Durham (http://www.durham-nc.com/visitors/event_cal.php - broken link), Orange, Chatham (broken link) Counties.

Jordan Lake (http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/jord/home.html - broken link)in Chatham and Wake Counties is a huge draw for nature observers.
Umstead Park (http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/wium/home.html - broken link)on the North End of Cary, Fred G. Bond Park in Central Cary (http://townofcary.org/depts/prdept/facilities/bphome.htm - broken link), are two major parks among many smaller local parks.
Explore! Have fun!

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-23-2007 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: add links

Old 06-23-2007, 07:48 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,044 times
I grew up in Raleigh and worked a couple of jobs in Cary. Its a beautiful city, don't get me wrong. You will get fined out of your rear if you put up a "lost dog" or "Yard sale" sign. They go out of their way to make the city not look tacky and in my opinion, they did a good job. It's what I would call a "classy" city. Lots of beautiful neighborhoods with big houses with big price tags. There are other neighborhoods too that are not as big, but still well-kept. They have a mall, a great shopping center (Crossroads plaza) and lots of great places to eat. I MISS Six Strings Cafe. Great place to eat dinner and listen to some live music. There are a couple of really classy bars, nice pool halls, great schools and Raleigh is just a quick jump on the beltline. I remember back when Cary was a place where rich people lived. Now, keep in mind, I was in my late teens, early twenties when I worked in a small gift shop (Wishes & Whims for those who may remember) back in the day. Alot of people from the North who sold their tiny house for alot of money and bought a huge house in Cary. To me (at my age), that was pretty well off, lol.

I do still love Cary, its a very pretty city. There are several surrounding cities also worth looking into though if the price is a bit high. I heard the HOA's & taxes alone were a bit steep. They also have a rule on how many pets you can have (correct me if that's changed). Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina are also very nice, kind of rural so your daughters will have to drive into either Cary or Raleigh for the mall. Apex (aka "the peak of good living" has really grown into a nice town, it sits right outside of Cary. Also, outside of Apex is Jordan Lake, great place to spend the day fishing, swimming, etc. Chapel Hill, a bit more "artsy" with Carrboro bordering the edge. Durham, also has some really nice neighborhoods. Clayton (where I live) is excellent, great prices on houses and just a short drive to two malls in Raleigh. Garner has mixed reviews. I really didnt care much for their school systems and I heard through a police officer that it has it's crime rate (but I'm sure thats not all over the city, maybe in certain areas near downtown Raleigh?).

I would suggest taking a weekend and just coming out. You can pretty much drive around and see the towns/cities for yourself. They are all different, I'm sure one of them will really stand out for you and feel like a "home".

Of course, the board is full of people who will be more than happy to help!

Good luck!!!

Old 06-24-2007, 12:48 AM

150 posts, read 506,991 times
Thank you MikeJaquish and ferrickhead28 for your posts (and the great links!). Originally when we first visited, we were thinking Durham was where we would move to, but then after driving through, and staying in Morissville on our last visit, we really fell in love with the parks in Cary.
We actually live in a town where the culture is a little overwhelming and in your face. We are looking for a little less of that. I will say though that the posts I have been seeing regarding fines for postings etc are making me nervous (not because I will want to post anything, but the restrictions sound a bit excessive....without any other info). Neither of us are one for strip-malls etc, but feel that the area has a lot more to offer than that. We are looking for a place to buy a home, and raise a family, and Cary looks like a really good choice. I can't wait to check out more of the Parks like Bond etc as we didn't have enough time last visit. We went running each morning at Crabtree Lake Park ( our hotel was right down the street) and the Great Horned Owl that we saw (in the middle of the morning!) left a lasting impression on me
Again, thanks Mike-your links will keep me busy
By the way Ferrickhead28- what kind of fishing is good in the area?
Cheers,
Christina

Old 06-24-2007, 12:58 PM

25 posts, read 107,579 times
Cool Relocating

As I am thinking of moving from San Diego.....I feel more and more that Cary is the place for me, it just sounds most like what I'm coming from....it sounds most like California from what I've read.

I must say I think it's absolutely hilarious that anyone would say they got sticker shock in Raleigh....HOW? Sticker shock is going out to look for a house in San Diego, that's sticker shock....as far as I'm concerned, there's only a few other cities in the nation that have sticker shock beyong here!

This is the primary reason why I'm moving, to get away from the high prices (to take advantage of what's happened here the last 7 years)!

I'm visiting next month, thinking I'm going to narrow it down to Cary, Morrisville, Wake Forest, Apex, or Clayton (just based on ability to get so much more of a house).

Any words of wisdom are welcome!!! Thanks!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:02 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB0722 View Post
I must say I think it's absolutely hilarious that anyone would say they got sticker shock in Raleigh....HOW?
Very easily....homes are more expensive here then where we moved from. I was looking to spend more then we had bought our home in Ohio for, but I eneded up spending about 40% then even that.

Still not too bad though, as other expenses (utilities, taxes, insurance) are cheaper to help off set that.

But yeah...stick shock.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:04 PM

212 posts, read 858,975 times
Quote:
I have never been to Cary, but like many other places in NC, I would agree it is overrated.
How can anyone who haven't even been there, accurately advise?

Old 06-24-2007, 01:10 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB0722 View Post
As I am thinking of moving from San Diego.....I feel more and more that Cary is the place for me, it just sounds most like what I'm coming from....it sounds most like California from what I've read.

I must say I think it's absolutely hilarious that anyone would say they got sticker shock in Raleigh....HOW? Sticker shock is going out to look for a house in San Diego, that's sticker shock....as far as I'm concerned, there's only a few other cities in the nation that have sticker shock beyong here!

This is the primary reason why I'm moving, to get away from the high prices (to take advantage of what's happened here the last 7 years)!

I'm visiting next month, thinking I'm going to narrow it down to Cary, Morrisville, Wake Forest, Apex, or Clayton (just based on ability to get so much more of a house).

Any words of wisdom are welcome!!! Thanks!
Hi;
We just moved about four weeks ago from the San Diego area, I lived in Escondido for 17 years, before spending that last two years in Murrieta.
Cary is very restrictive, just as most of CA, so if that doesn't bug you then that is where you should look at. We decided to move somewhere that was already someones home, that had a large lot and further from the hussle bustle. It just depends on what you are looking for. Cary is beautiful, and lots of shopping, but I have had it up to my eyeballs being told what to do in my own yard, and that kind of thing. In my opinion, which is very new, you cannot do wrong by driving around and getting the feel of what feels good. Then go home and study those areas on line, and call the chamber of commerse, and get information sent to you from them, that helps so much.

Good luck....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary