Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2020, 06:30 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times

Advertisements

How would we cut the 65+ rate of everything bad in half?

And I'm not sure what you mean "given the way things are" .... do you mean how "rampant" the virus is, or do you mean the "political climate"?

We can do the first with some sensible and reasonable steps, especially now that effective vaccines are out.

it appears AARP has dedicated some time to the problem and is producing articles this month

https://www.care.com/c/stories/17125...-covid-deaths/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 06:36 AM

in short what I would say is to have dedicated the money and human time resources to them (nursing homes) from the get-go.

for the general 65+ population, they're "all" on Medicare - ie, a health agency already in place. Use THAT to provide the group the best info possible, to target those that have the "real" co-morbidities.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:59 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you can, what's the ICU %'s?

ICU percentages this morning (12/24/2020) -

34% are over the age of 65
41% are 50-65 y/o
25% are below the age of 50

Old 12-24-2020, 10:33 AM

thank you very much. Those 50-65 must have the worst co-morbidities I'd think.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:02 PM

598 posts, read 333,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
How would we cut the 65+ rate of everything bad in half?

And I'm not sure what you mean "given the way things are" .... do you mean how "rampant" the virus is, or do you mean the "political climate"?
I mean everything about how things are right now: the severity of the spread in this country, the political climate, and how many people still don't believe how serious it is or that they should have to restrict themselves at all. All of those things have worked in conjunction to get us where we are today. A lot of older people are really trying to be careful. Most of the sensible ones are aware of what's going on.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:24 PM

773 posts, read 646,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
ICU percentages this morning (12/24/2020) -

34% are over the age of 65
41% are 50-65 y/o
25% are below the age of 50
This proves the myth of "it only affects old people" is just that: a myth. Thanks!

Old 12-24-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
I mean everything about how things are right now:
I've ben talking about "whither the nursing homes?" since no later than March 31.

Quote:
the severity of the spread in this country,
well, this is the toughest one, yes? Because it's possible the horse is out of the barn. I mean, didn't we "all" know when the first location of multiple cases was a nursing home that those would be a huge issue for multiple reasons:

1. general health
2. congregate living
3. conditions in homes riven by Medicare/Medicaid funding
4. socio-economic/educational makeup of ~80% of the staff.

in theory, we knew what the issue was after ~21 days of nursing homes stopping visits. It was being brought in by the only people that could enter - the staff. Long ago, I suggested giving the staff $5K/mo bonuses as long as they were Covid-free, and those that were as much as symptomatic needed to stay away but still get paid. That's a lot of money to the people in those positions, and would likely change their behavior. But it was a pittance of what we've spent.

Quote:
the political climate,

that part is done and over, other than the politicians in DC on both sides just got themselves re-elected while ignoring the continued economic catastrophe the Federal and State Governments have created. And now they've allowed everyone to know "Well, here's $600 - be happy."

Quote:
and how many people still don't believe how serious it is or that they should have to restrict themselves at all.
Regardless of politics, I'm going to let those of you who believe "a majority of X [inserted here, people [typically Republican] don't believe it's serious, or they shouldn't restrict themselves at all" ...

know this is such a small percentage and not what you've been led to or chosen to believe. Don't listen to what you read and are told, base it on what you see IRL in your community.

Quote:
All of those things have worked in conjunction to get us where we are today. A lot of older people are really trying to be careful. Most of the sensible ones are aware of what's going on.
without #, then this part is just living in the message. Don't get me wrong - it pains me to hear the stories of ANYONE, regardless of age, who has essentially quarantined for 9 months now. And there are "many" (see some Facebook groups) doing just that. Have you seen the "the neighborhood kids are out riding bikes. Should I let my child?" posts? Those people are living in fear, and that's no way to go through life.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:10 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,797,090 times
According to the vaccinations dashboard on the NC DHHS site:

As of December 28, approx.

3,000 people vaccinated (1st dose) in Orange County
5,500 people vaccinated (1st dose) in Durham County
7,700 people vaccinated (1st dose) in Wake County

63,500 people vaccinated (1st dose) in North Carolina

Hoping that after the New Year's holiday, that the vaccinations ramp up!

Data is reported every Tuesday: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/vaccinations

Old 12-29-2020, 02:54 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
The problem with a new virus, is that you don't know if you are the unlucky ones with genetic issues in your immune system that makes you have the same fate as this young healthy person. Your genetic issues would not have been exposed until now due to the new nature of a virus/pathogen coming from the animal world and introduced into humans.

"COVID-19 killed the high school senior in a matter of days. Her mother said Sarah's headache turned into a sore throat and body aches on December 23. It was enough to take her daughter to the hospital.

Her mother said Simental had no health conditions and didn't take any medications. But as her symptoms worsened, doctors airlifted the sick teenager to University of Chicago Hospital."

https://abc11.com/health/chicago-tee...nosis/9168378/

Old 12-29-2020, 03:35 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
The problem with a new virus, is that you don't know if you are the unlucky ones with genetic issues in your immune system that makes you have the same fate as this young healthy person. Your genetic issues would not have been exposed until now due to the new nature of a virus/pathogen coming from the animal world and introduced into humans.

"COVID-19 killed the high school senior in a matter of days. Her mother said Sarah's headache turned into a sore throat and body aches on December 23. It was enough to take her daughter to the hospital.

Her mother said Simental had no health conditions and didn't take any medications. But as her symptoms worsened, doctors airlifted the sick teenager to University of Chicago Hospital."

https://abc11.com/health/chicago-tee...nosis/9168378/
In the 2018-2019 Flu season, about 475 children under 18 died from Flu. Can't imagine what it was like before there was a vaccine.

Thankfully Covid deaths in children have been far more rare than Flu. Something to look on the bright side about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary