Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 04:42 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
The problem with a new virus, is that you don't know if you are the unlucky ones with genetic issues in your immune system that makes you have the same fate as this young healthy person. Your genetic issues would not have been exposed until now due to the new nature of a virus/pathogen coming from the animal world and introduced into humans.
I so wish my cousin the pediatrician who doesn't take this disease seriously would understand this. Her entire family (all of her kids, her, her husband) currently have it...and she told me with a straight face that kids don't get it. While her kids have it.

She is not local, is out of state. The relationship is strained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 05:09 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,758,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
In the 2018-2019 Flu season, about 475 children under 18 died from Flu. Can't imagine what it was like before there was a vaccine.

Thankfully Covid deaths in children have been far more rare than Flu. Something to look on the bright side about.

So what? This is not the 2018-2019 flu season. The influenza virus never dies - it just moves from one part of the planet to the other. Due to covid restrictions and mask-wearing, the Southern Hemisphere (our Summer) has very few flu cases. Therefore, we have very few flu cases (since the influenza travels from the Southern to the Northern hemisphere during Oct-Nov).

The hospital has only 1/10 of the flu cases as last year. Basically, nobody cares about flu cases at this time, whether it's adults or children. We are not sectioning off entire areas in the hospital due to the flu. But COVID-19 makes us close more rooms every week. We test for both flu and COVID-19 in the ER.

AGAIN, you don't know if you are the unlucky ones with genetic issues in your immune system that makes you have the same fate as this young healthy person. Your genetic issues would not have been exposed until now due to the new nature of a virus/pathogen coming from the animal world and introduced into humans.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:13 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Quote:
So what? This is not the 2018-2019 flu season. The influenza virus never dies - it just moves from one part of the planet to the other. Due to covid restrictions and mask-wearing, the Southern Hemisphere (our Summer) has very few flu cases. Therefore, we have very few flu cases (since the influenza travels from the Southern to the Northern hemisphere during Oct-Nov).

The hospital has only 1/10 of the flu cases as last year. Basically, nobody cares about flu cases at this time, whether it's adults or children. We are not sectioning off entire areas in the hospital due to the flu. But COVID-19 makes us close more rooms every week. We test for both flu and COVID-19 in the ER.

AGAIN, you don't know if you are the unlucky ones with genetic issues in your immune system that makes you have the same fate as this young healthy person. Your genetic issues would not have been exposed until now due to the new nature of a virus/pathogen coming from the animal world and introduced into humans.
Sorry for looking on the bright side. I can't imagine how bad this would be if it were affecting children like the Flu does. I'm thankful it doesn't.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:35 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,758,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Sorry for looking on the bright side. I can't imagine how bad this would be if it were affecting children like the Flu does. I'm thankful it doesn't.
Thanks for looking on the bright side, but it's hard to tell from your language if you are downplaying COVID-19 by comparing it to the flu.

Currently, it is Christmas-New Years, Hanukkah, etc holiday weeks and kids are not usually hospitalized during this time. But we currently have 16 children (under 18 y/o) hospitalized for a COVID-19 infection with symptoms. That is the highest of the entire year. We have ZERO kids hospitalized for the flu at this time.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
But we currently have 16 children (under 18 y/o) hospitalized for a COVID-19 infection with symptoms. That is the highest of the entire year. We have ZERO kids hospitalized for the flu at this time.
I wonder if that's the new UK strain - I read that children may be more susceptible to that.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:03 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,934,762 times
I lost a childhood friend and next door neighbor Sunday to COVID. Yesterday I lost a high school classmate to COVID...

Old 12-30-2020, 07:04 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I lost a childhood friend and next door neighbor Sunday to COVID. Yesterday I lost a high school classmate to COVID...
Sorry, PW.
Sad news.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
So very sorry for your losses.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:03 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Quote:
Found this article this morning, and I guess the low flu cases this year is another thing we can be extremely thankful for. Three years ago hospitals were in a very similar situation at this time of year with flu outbreaks. Thankfully this year flu seems to be very limited:

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-h...-flu-patients/

Old 12-30-2020, 09:35 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,934,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
So very sorry for your losses.
‘Preciate it Mike and NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary