Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2020, 07:23 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Are hospitals requiring employees to get the vaccine? If not, do most seem up for it?
Duke mandates all staff get the flu vaccine, I would imagine it will be the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 01:45 PM

1,228 posts, read 798,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Are hospitals requiring employees to get the vaccine? If not, do most seem up for it?
No mandate for employees that I am aware of at at least one of the big area hospitals. Strongly recommended. My wife will likely get hers in the next week or so. Vaccine supply arrived today under armed guard.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:08 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Duke mandates all staff get the flu vaccine, I would imagine it will be the same.

No, the COVID-19 vaccine is not mandatory at any Triangle hospital. And that is probably the same thing for the entire country.

The COVID-19 vaccine is optional this year due to liability. If an employee gets a horrible reaction, and it turns out that the reaction occurs every 1000 cases, then the employee can sue due to the expedited nature of the vaccine and they were "threatened" to take it.

The flu vaccine is well established to be safe to it's mandated for every employee in a hospital.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:22 PM

773 posts, read 646,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
The why, is if anyone needs to go to the hospital for any emergent reason, COVID or otherwise, they need a staffed and equipped bed to take care of them. The normal occurrence of heart attacks, strokes, diabetic episodes, COPD exacerbations, asthma attacks and allergic reactions, trauma, household accidents, mental health episodes, etc. are taking up beds competing with COVID. Electives to be cut include a lot of eye surgeries and orthopedic procedures for folks who are already suffering from morbidities. Oh, and a good chunk of nurses and other medical professionals are themselves out with a COVID positive (not just a quarantine) right now. It’s hunker in the bunker time. Mid January will be the peak.
Great post and of course all thats all been explained before, but some people just can't/won't listen or accept it.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:23 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Great post and of course all thats all been explained before, but some people just can't/won't listen or accept it.

Absolutely - we don't have enough staff to open up new COVID-19 floors in the hospital, so we are contracting out to out of state nurses and MDs (lots of money) to see if we can get enough staff.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:31 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Absolutely - we don't have enough staff to open up new COVID-19 floors in the hospital, so we are contracting out to out of state nurses and MDs (lots of money) to see if we can get enough staff.
I remember seeing the ads for this in the NYC area in April, $7-10k/week plus accomodations to help in their hospitals during the height of it in the spring.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:06 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
No, the COVID-19 vaccine is not mandatory at any Triangle hospital. And that is probably the same thing for the entire country.

The COVID-19 vaccine is optional this year due to liability. If an employee gets a horrible reaction, and it turns out that the reaction occurs every 1000 cases, then the employee can sue due to the expedited nature of the vaccine and they were "threatened" to take it.

The flu vaccine is well established to be safe to it's mandated for every employee in a hospital.
That makes sense, thank you.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:10 PM

773 posts, read 646,940 times
Hospitalizations jumped to 2,735 yesterday from 2,554 the day before. Positive test rate above 10% for a week now.

Old 12-15-2020, 03:17 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times
I've read a lot of stories over this past year about death, but man this one makes me tear up a bit.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/coa...ands/19430936/

Old 12-15-2020, 05:40 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I've read a lot of stories over this past year about death, but man this one makes me tear up a bit.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/coa...ands/19430936/
Thanks for sharing! Definitely a little teary after reading that. I am glad they were able to be together in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary