Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 07:24 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Is your hospital part of CAPRAC? According to DHHS CAPRAC currently has 191 hospitalized, so 121 at one hospital seems high. Not doubting what you say, just curious what group.

Do they generally try and transport covid patients to certain hospitals?
No but as beds fill, hospitals may have to divert patients who need care they can't provide. For example, if they run out of ICU beds they will call another hospital and ask if they will accept the patient once they have been stabilized for transport. This has been happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 07:45 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Wouldn't it be more efficient to designate one of the larger area's hospitals as a covid only hospital that solely focuses on treating folks with it? And once they run out of beds start with another one and so forth.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:52 PM

773 posts, read 646,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wouldn't it be more efficient to designate one of the larger area's hospitals as a covid only hospital that solely focuses on treating folks with it? And once they run out of beds start with another one and so forth.
In some ways, but if you lived in Hillsborough and you were sent to WakeMed would you and your family be happy about that?

Old 12-11-2020, 08:14 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:
Is your hospital part of CAPRAC? According to DHHS CAPRAC currently has 191 hospitalized, so 121 at one hospital seems high. Not doubting what you say, just curious what group.

Do they generally try and transport covid patients to certain hospitals?

What does it matter? I have a direct access to the Covid-19 census and you don’t. If you want me to, I can also go to each Covid-19 floor (yes, there are multiples floors now) and count each patient for you.

Your skepticism at the NC Covid stats is kind of ridiculous.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:15 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
What does it matter? I have a direct access to the Covid-19 census and you don’t. If you want me to, I can also go to each Covid-19 floor (yes, there are multiples floors now) and count each patient for you.

Your skepticism at the NC Covid stats is kind of ridiculous.
Just trying to understand that's all. Are the DHHS numbers incorrect?

Old 12-11-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
This is America, not China. China would easily be able to do what you just said.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Just trying to understand that's all. Are the DHHS numbers incorrect?
I’m not sure what you’re getting at - what dhhs numbers? All I follow are the total dhhs numbers. Which ones do you see?

Basically, at my hospital, we have over doubled the number of Covid patients. The ED, ICU, and floor nurses, doctors, staff and cleaning personnel are straight up tired and drained - many don’t even want to work anymore and are taking huge vacations.

Your incessant drive to think NC stats are wrong seems like someone who doesn’t work in healthcare. Talk to someone who actually walks into a hospital these days.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:27 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I’m not sure what you’re getting at - what dhhs numbers? All I follow are the total dhhs numbers. Which ones do you see?

Basically, at my hospital, we have over doubled the number of Covid patients. The ED, ICU, and floor nurses, doctors, staff and cleaning personnel are straight up tired and drained - many don’t even want to work anymore and are taking huge vacations.

Your incessant drive to think NC stats are wrong seems like someone who doesn’t work in healthcare. Talk to someone who actually walks into a hospital these days.
The DHHS stats for currently hospitalized in CAPRAC is 191, which doesn't really check out with you saying you have 120 or whatever at a single hospital. It's not that I think you're lying, I'm just trying to understand where the discrepancy is.

I don't know why you're getting so defensive - as usual I'm just trying to understand because it's very rare that anything covid-related makes sense to me when I actually dig into actual numbers. Who should I believe, a random guy on CD that works at the hospital, or the DHHS? Again that's nothing against you, it's just extremely frustrating as an outsider to try and really understand what's going on locally and make a risk assessment for myself. It shouldn't be that way. I refuse to take the media's word for it, and the DHHS should be the end all be all. But from what you're saying, the DHHS is not giving us correct numbers.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:37 AM

1,228 posts, read 798,728 times
Duke Raleigh is included in the DHPC and Rex is in the MCRHC. Wake County numbers are therefore split into three different regions. DHHS is giving correct numbers, but they are not parsed out in a way for the general public to get a true picture of Wake County as a whole. Some of the local hospitals may need to decide on cutting back on elective procedures in the next week to keep beds ready. Some are already seeing nursing and other personnel shortages due to essential personnel out with infections. A mid-January hospitalization peak may be reasonable for forecasting planning purposes.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:38 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Anecdotal, but speaking to a Nurse, most of them do know who they got it from; Cousin Mel or whoever tested positive and called and told everyone that had joined at Thanksgiving dinner.
this works for now, but I'm talking for months.

I don't "fault" anyone at any level for what happened in the beginning .... except CDC/FDA fubar'ed testing ... everything was an "all hands on deck emergency".

We just don't seem to be using what we've learned to guide us forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary