Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 08:15 PM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Does CH have kids at the schools at all? Is the asynchronous day on a different day every week?

The asynchronous day means that those going to school will have one day where they can't. That makes scheduling pretty difficult for parents, especially when it's a different day every week. It lacks logic.
No, and no, and I totally agree. But for those doing remote learning, I think it could be helpful and also good for teachers. The not being on the same day every week is super weird, and I don't know how they'll make that work, but for me personally, I'd take it over no asynchronous day. We had it last spring too although it was on Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 08:25 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
I have an honest question for anyone in here who is uncomfortable with schools opening. At what point will you feel comfortable? What are the criteria?

Old 09-23-2020, 08:45 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,883 times
Quote:
I have an honest question for anyone in here who is uncomfortable with schools opening. At what point will you feel comfortable? What are the criteria?
I would be Ok with plan b at 1/3 capacity and even ok with every other week at 50%. That is what I was expecting and agreed to, not 20 other kids in class with my kid making social distancing all but impossible. I dont even care about kids sharing a ball or pencils, that is what hand sanitizer is for. I am not ok with full capacity.

I do not feel great about any plan when the people in the trenches, the principals and assistant principals, state they feel they are not ready and it is in the best interest of students to wait until January.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I do not feel great about any plan when the people in the trenches, the principals and assistant principals, state they feel they are not ready and it is in the best interest of students to wait until January.
What will be different in January?

When will you feel comfortable with kids going back 100%?

Old 09-23-2020, 08:49 PM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times
Quote:
I would be Ok with plan b at 1/3 capacity and even ok with every other week at 50%. That is what I was expecting and agreed to, not 20 other kids in class with my kid making social distancing all but impossible. I dont even care about kids sharing a ball or pencils, that is what hand sanitizer is for. I am not ok with full capacity.

Are they giving any particular reason why January?

ETA - whoops! didn't see m378 asked before I had a chance to finish posting.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:37 AM

242 posts, read 150,504 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, Plan B's are a worst of both worlds compromise that address neither limited educational resources NOR actually limiting disease spread in a pandemic.

What you want to do to limit disease spread, is have people act as close to normally as possible, and then catch 'connectors' before they outbreak. With SPECIFIC mitigation efforts towards protecting susceptible populations.

A plan B, would gather a cohort of kids together for a week AND THEN scatter them to the wind for two weeks to all kinds of different childcare setting to be exposed to 100s of other kids and all their exposures. AND THEN once they have been exposed, bring them back together for a week to expose each other.

You are better off just keeping 25 kids together week in and week out and limiting the exposure to other settings, instead of having 10 kids together (every 3rd week) that are then each exposed to countless other kids in other settings. Any public health official suggesting Plan B as ideal, should be fired.

Not to mention the limited educational resources where teachers are going to have to teach BOTH in person and remotely. There just aren't the personnel to do it.

Schools aren't a reliable source of community spread. It has been shown in Europe. We continue to see it around the U.S., and EVEN the WaPo is starting to figure it out.

http://archive.is/oR4UO

Now, as the parent of a middle schooler who wants his kid in school full time NOW. I would rather wait until January and do full remote until they can get their ducks in a row THAN do a WORST OF BOTH WORLDS Plan B.

EDIT: To clarify, I want my son full time in school now provided it doesn't attempt to emulate a Level 4 Ebola Ward.

Last edited by Way2land; 09-24-2020 at 07:56 AM..

Old 09-24-2020, 07:55 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:

Now. As much as I question your constant conspiracy theories on the numbers and other people making the virus a hoax (because it is real and I see people die at the hospital, etc), I probably agree with you that schools should reopen now.

But I am on the side that things need to start reopening, especially the schools. I am in the middle of every spectrum, but seems like there's are no people in the middle anymore. Either everyone is too far left and everyone is too far right. And that makes you look "crazy."

Wake Co keeps saying teachers are resisting as the main reason to re-open, who knows what's true?

The amount of kids suffering with no in-person instruction, wide disparities now with people with incomes over 200k hiring private tutors/school pods, etc and nobody else can do anything. They can't even open the schools for kids with special-education needs? I think this is all BS and/or political.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:06 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Now. As much as I question your constant conspiracy theories on the numbers and other people making the virus a hoax (because it is real and I see people die at the hospital, etc), I probably agree with you that schools should reopen now.

But I am on the side that things need to start reopening, especially the schools. I am in the middle of every spectrum, but seems like there's are no people in the middle anymore. Either everyone is too far left and everyone is too far right. And that makes you look "crazy."

Wake Co keeps saying teachers are resisting as the main reason to re-open, who knows what's true?

The amount of kids suffering with no in-person instruction, wide disparities now with people with incomes over 200k hiring private tutors/school pods, etc and nobody else can do anything. They can't even open the schools for kids with special-education needs? I think this is all BS and/or political.
Without dissecting every one of your words, basically where I am. We pulled my daughter from school for the year, so my opinion has no action if you will, but I’m in the Now category as well, short of some data that hasn’t been shared being shared and causing me to reevaluate

ETA - and please don’t take this as a “my daughter is out, I’ll sacrifice everyone else’s kidsâ€. As I told my buddy the other night over some cold pops, if we hadn’t signed up for the year of VA, I’m leaning towards it’s time.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

I think there's more people than you think in the middle, they're just not vocal.

I am very much in the middle when it comes to Covid. If I thought it were a hoax I would be doing all the things I used to enjoy doing (restaurants, bars, breweries, etc), and taking the kids to all the places I used to take them (trampoline parks, amusement places, bowling alleys, etc), but I don't. I also wear a mask when I'm in public and going to be within 6 feet of someone for more than a couple seconds. People who think it's a hoax don't do that.

I think it's disgusting how non-transparent the media and the government have been since March. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the government and the media have put the general population into a level of anxiety that's never been seen before in any person under 102 years old's lifetime. This was completely unnecessary throughout the entire pandemic, except for maybe in March. The result is we literally still have people that are afraid to go out, are stripping their clothes off in the garage if they do,etc. Yes this is one end of the spectrum, but I would say that the vast majority of the population right now is living with some sort of anxiety that is not realistic when it comes to ACTUAL Covid data. It's this lack of transparency and almost intentional inducing of anxiety by the media and government that is what is preventing us from getting back to normal, what's preventing us from getting kids back in schools, etc. THAT is what I'm not ok with. At this point it has gone on so long that we may never get back to normal.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:10 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:
I think there's more people than you think in the middle, they're just not vocal.

I am very much in the middle when it comes to Covid. If I thought it were a hoax I would be doing all the things I used to enjoy doing (restaurants, bars, breweries, etc), and taking the kids to all the places I used to take them (trampoline parks, amusement places, bowling alleys, etc), but I don't. I also wear a mask when I'm in public and going to be within 6 feet of someone for more than a couple seconds. People who think it's a hoax don't do that.

I think it's disgusting how non-transparent the media and the government have been since March. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the government and the media have put the general population into a level of anxiety that's never been seen before in any person under 102 years old's lifetime. This was completely unnecessary throughout the entire pandemic, except for maybe in March. The result is we literally still have people that are afraid to go out, are stripping their clothes off in the garage if they do,etc. Yes this is one end of the spectrum, but I would say that the vast majority of the population right now is living with some sort of anxiety that is not realistic when it comes to ACTUAL Covid data. It's this lack of transparency and almost intentional inducing of anxiety by the media and government that is what is preventing us from getting back to normal, what's preventing us from getting kids back in schools, etc. THAT is what I'm not ok with. At this point it has gone on so long that we may never get back to normal.

I haven't said this in a long time, but I agree with what you wrote above. I have far-left friends who think that everyone else is a racist. And then I have far-right friends who thinks everyone else is wanting to make this country communist and the virus is a hoax. There's more to it than this but that's the main premise.

Now, politics is not to be discussed here, but how do I discuss COVID-19 without the above issues? I work in healthcare and without telling you my position, I have extreme difficulty doing anything at all. Only in the COVID-19 Intensive Care Unit where the family member finally realizes that the patient has extensive lung scarring, and that we cannot wean the ventilator, and they will most likely not make it. Not all of these patients are above the age of 60. The most common age range is in the 40's and 50's.

When I tell a patient that they are COVID-19 positive, they think it's bull**** and tell me to give whatever "antibiotics" I have to get rid of it and get the hell out of here." I explain there is no real treatment and they call me a liar.

Healthcare is already a complete mess, and we have patients who don't listen to any recommendations. Oh yeah, add to the fact that all homeless shelters in Raleigh are closed and where do we keep homeless patients who are COVID-19 positive but could otherwise be discharged home? Yep, in the hospital costing us $1400 per night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary