Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2020, 09:32 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I haven't said this in a long time, but I agree with what you wrote above. I have far-left friends who think that everyone else is a racist. And then I have far-right friends who thinks everyone else is wanting to make this country communist and the virus is a hoax. There's more to it than this but that's the main premise.

Now, politics is not to be discussed here, but how do I discuss COVID-19 without the above issues? I work in healthcare and without telling you my position, I have extreme difficulty doing anything at all. Only in the COVID-19 Intensive Care Unit where the family member finally realizes that the patient has extensive lung scarring, and that we cannot wean the ventilator, and they will most likely not make it. Not all of these patients are above the age of 60. The most common age range is in the 40's and 50's.

When I tell a patient that they are COVID-19 positive, they think it's bull**** and tell me to give whatever "antibiotics" I have to get rid of it and get the hell out of here." I explain there is no real treatment and they call me a liar.

Healthcare is already a complete mess, and we have patients who don't listen to any recommendations. Oh yeah, add to the fact that all homeless shelters in Raleigh are closed and where do we keep homeless patients who are COVID-19 positive but could otherwise be discharged home? Yep, in the hospital costing us $1400 per night.
I think a lot of people (not all) that take the hoax route do so because it helps to ease their own anxiety. They literally brainwash themselves into thinking it's nothing to worry about. Covid is something to worry about, but not nearly at the level that we are. We can be careful and live relatively normal lives with very little additional risk (if any) compared to other risks that we take on every single day and never think about.

If you were to guess, how many homeless are in hospitals in NC right now that are only there because they're homeless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 11:47 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think a lot of people (not all) that take the hoax route do so because it helps to ease their own anxiety. They literally brainwash themselves into thinking it's nothing to worry about. Covid is something to worry about, but not nearly at the level that we are. We can be careful and live relatively normal lives with very little additional risk (if any) compared to other risks that we take on every single day and never think about.

If you were to guess, how many homeless are in hospitals in NC right now that are only there because they're homeless?

Correct, the homeless are here because they are homeless, but we have trouble getting them OUT of the hospital because there are no shelters accepting anyone right now, nor the other organizations - and they all cite COVID-19 as an excuse.

Therefore, we are not going to just discharge a patient to "the streets of Raleigh" because we can't find an acceptable disposition for them. So go ahead an add $1400+ for each night that someone needs to "figure something out."

Old 09-24-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Correct, the homeless are here because they are homeless, but we have trouble getting them OUT of the hospital because there are no shelters accepting anyone right now, nor the other organizations - and they all cite COVID-19 as an excuse.

Therefore, we are not going to just discharge a patient to "the streets of Raleigh" because we can't find an acceptable disposition for them. So go ahead an add $1400+ for each night that someone needs to "figure something out."
I understand. I was asking how many homeless you think currently are in NC hospitals that don't need to be, as they are obviously being counted in the hospitalization data...

Old 09-24-2020, 11:59 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2land View Post
Unfortunately, Plan B's are a worst of both worlds compromise that address neither limited educational resources NOR actually limiting disease spread in a pandemic.

What you want to do to limit disease spread, is have people act as close to normally as possible, and then catch 'connectors' before they outbreak. With SPECIFIC mitigation efforts towards protecting susceptible populations.

A plan B, would gather a cohort of kids together for a week AND THEN scatter them to the wind for two weeks to all kinds of different childcare setting to be exposed to 100s of other kids and all their exposures. AND THEN once they have been exposed, bring them back together for a week to expose each other.

You are better off just keeping 25 kids together week in and week out and limiting the exposure to other settings, instead of having 10 kids together (every 3rd week) that are then each exposed to countless other kids in other settings. Any public health official suggesting Plan B as ideal, should be fired.

Not to mention the limited educational resources where teachers are going to have to teach BOTH in person and remotely. There just aren't the personnel to do it.

Schools aren't a reliable source of community spread. It has been shown in Europe. We continue to see it around the U.S., and EVEN the WaPo is starting to figure it out.

http://archive.is/oR4UO

Now, as the parent of a middle schooler who wants his kid in school full time NOW. I would rather wait until January and do full remote until they can get their ducks in a row THAN do a WORST OF BOTH WORLDS Plan B.

EDIT: To clarify, I want my son full time in school now provided it doesn't attempt to emulate a Level 4 Ebola Ward.
This is the reason we signed my daughter up for VA for 1st semester. The description of how Plan B would work sounded worse than VA (even with 1 week of in person instruction).

Old 09-24-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I understand. I was asking how many homeless you think currently are in NC hospitals that don't need to be, as they are obviously being counted in the hospitalization data...
Got it - they don’t count in the data unless they are Covid-19 positive and they all get tested because of the fact that we have to find a place for them. Therefore, a homeless person who came to the hospital for chest pain and suicidal thoughts, but no fever, no cough, etc, will still get a Covid test.

From my best guess, the homeless population arriving to the ER is the same as before, but “getting rid of them†is difficult due to the issues I told you before. Homeless shelters closed due to Covid, no staff due to Covid, etc. So we keep patients much longer than before and ain’t nobody happy about a $1400 per night cost

Imagine that, it’s easier for a homeless person to get a Covid test than me. On top of that? The homeless person’s Covid test is a 4 hour one, and as an employee, my Covid test would be 48 hours. Why? Because length of stay matters. Fuc$ this American hospital system

Old 09-24-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Got it - they don’t count in the data unless they are Covid-19 positive and they all get tested because of the fact that we have to find a place for them. Therefore, a homeless person who came to the hospital for chest pain and suicidal thoughts, but no fever, no cough, etc, will still get a Covid test.

From my best guess, the homeless population arriving to the ER is the same as before, but “getting rid of them†is difficult due to the issues I told you before. Homeless shelters closed due to Covid, no staff due to Covid, etc. So we keep patients much longer than before and ain’t nobody happy about a $1400 per night cost

Imagine that, it’s easier for a homeless person to get a Covid test than me. On top of that? The homeless person’s Covid test is a 4 hour one, and as an employee, my Covid test would be 48 hours. Why? Because length of stay matters. Fuc$ this American hospital system
So those homeless that test positive, even though they may not actually need hospitalization, are likely being included in the DHHS hospitalization numbers during their extended stays?

Old 09-24-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
So those homeless that test positive, even though they may not actually need hospitalization, are likely being included in the DHHS hospitalization numbers during their extended stays?

I can't tell you for sure, but here's my understanding - if a homeless person that is cleared for discharge but nowhere to go also tests positive for COVID-19, he/she will be moved to the COVID medical floor automatically. Therefore, I'm assuming this patient will be counted in the hospital's actual COVID-19 census. From my experience, around 60% of these patients who tested + have no symptoms at all and the other have mild things like cough, stuffy nose and sore throat and it runs its course over a week I would say.

I know you are dwelling into the numbers here, but what about me and the hospital staff who have no place to send these patients just because they tested positive? And guess what, after they test positive, no shelter or any other place will accept them until they are symptom free for 10 days.

So guess who pays the bill for the $1400+ per night to keep them there for 10-14 days.......the hospital. Oh sorry, most likely it's YOU. America's finest healthcare system.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I can't tell you for sure, but here's my understanding - if a homeless person that is cleared for discharge but nowhere to go also tests positive for COVID-19, he/she will be moved to the COVID medical floor automatically. Therefore, I'm assuming this patient will be counted in the hospital's actual COVID-19 census. From my experience, around 60% of these patients who tested + have no symptoms at all and the other have mild things like cough, stuffy nose and sore throat and it runs its course over a week I would say.

I know you are dwelling into the numbers here, but what about me and the hospital staff who have no place to send these patients just because they tested positive? And guess what, after they test positive, no shelter or any other place will accept them until they are symptom free for 10 days.

So guess who pays the bill for the $1400+ per night to keep them there for 10-14 days.......the hospital. Oh sorry, most likely it's YOU. America's finest healthcare system.
Yeah healthcare is a mess - not going to disagree there.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:41 PM

826 posts, read 244,965 times
Quote:
Now. As much as I question your constant conspiracy theories on the numbers and other people making the virus a hoax (because it is real and I see people die at the hospital, etc), I probably agree with you that schools should reopen now.

But I am on the side that things need to start reopening, especially the schools. I am in the middle of every spectrum, but seems like there's are no people in the middle anymore. Either everyone is too far left and everyone is too far right. And that makes you look "crazy."

Wake Co keeps saying teachers are resisting as the main reason to re-open, who knows what's true?

The amount of kids suffering with no in-person instruction, wide disparities now with people with incomes over 200k hiring private tutors/school pods, etc and nobody else can do anything. They can't even open the schools for kids with special-education needs? I think this is all BS and/or political.
I haven't seen anyone here say Covid is a hoax. In fact, I haven't heard anyone anywhere say the virus is a hoax. I did hear one person say criticism of policies is a hoax. I think people are mixing up what was really called a hoax and what was not. I'm with m378. I wear my mask anytime I am inside, other than my own house. I think the virus is as real as it gets. At the same time, I think very bad policies have been enacted, I have watched data be manipulated after the fact in NC and I have watched the science constantly change. I see some people playing politics with it. None of that is conspiracy theories.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:16 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
I think there's more people than you think in the middle, they're just not vocal.

I am very much in the middle when it comes to Covid. If I thought it were a hoax I would be doing all the things I used to enjoy doing (restaurants, bars, breweries, etc), and taking the kids to all the places I used to take them (trampoline parks, amusement places, bowling alleys, etc), but I don't. I also wear a mask when I'm in public and going to be within 6 feet of someone for more than a couple seconds. People who think it's a hoax don't do that.
It's hard to be loud and moderate.

I mean seriously, you can't say "Be nice, wear a mask!" and "No, I'm not wearing my mask on a bike ride you loon!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary