Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 04:42 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,874,265 times

Advertisements

Oh goodie, the tip topic again.

Yeah JK, saw a news item this week of one Cary restaurant owner who is doing this. I get his point about getting the backline staff covered as well as the waitstaff, but that sounds like pay scales are not aligned properly. Also, doesn't that suggest that the waitstaff will get less and they have less incentive for better service unless they are naturally wired that way?

We tip 20% unless the the service didn't earn that, and round up in almost all other cases. We don't do 25%.

We probably won't patronize places that force a 20% service charge / gratuity. While most of the service we've had in recent memory has been in the round-up camp, there's been some substandard service that didn't, last week for example.

I much prefer the practice in Japan and Singapore - a flat 10% service charge and people in those roles are paid properly, and in Japan at least, have willing and knowledgeable service capabilities and mentalities.

This ain't those places. And tipping in general is still wacky in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 05:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,297,867 times
I always tips 20% already so this just saves me doing the math. I've been to Pizzeria Toro in Durham many times. I'm not worried about the staff slacking off there. Great place!

Old 06-18-2021, 05:14 PM

43,320 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Oh goodie, the tip topic again.

Yeah JK, saw a news item this week of one Cary restaurant owner who is doing this. I get his point about getting the backline staff covered as well as the waitstaff, but that sounds like pay scales are not aligned properly. Also, doesn't that suggest that the waitstaff will get less and they have less incentive for better service unless they are naturally wired that way?

We tip 20% unless the the service didn't earn that, and round up in almost all other cases. We don't do 25%.

We probably won't patronize places that force a 20% service charge / gratuity. While most of the service we've had in recent memory has been in the round-up camp, there's been some substandard service that didn't, last week for example.

I much prefer the practice in Japan and Singapore - a flat 10% service charge and people in those roles are paid properly, and in Japan at least, have willing and knowledgeable service capabilities and mentalities.

This ain't those places. And tipping in general is still wacky in the US.
Tipping is whatever. People are wack.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:41 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,230,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Tipping is whatever. People are wack.
Crack is whack!
Sorry had to do it

Old 06-18-2021, 05:46 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,598,064 times
I honestly could go either way with the tipping thing. But what I’m curious about is what do restaurant employees prefer or feel about this?

Old 06-18-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Crack is whack!
Sorry had to do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I honestly could go either way with the tipping thing. But what I’m curious about is what do restaurant employees prefer or feel about this?
Lemmesee....
Cash tips, as all suave and debonair diners offer, or documented on a credit slip?

I tip with cash, and it always seems to be VERY well-received.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Lemmesee....
Cash tips, as all suave and debonair diners offer, or documented on a credit slip?

I tip with cash, and it always seems to be VERY well-received.
cash?? what the hell is that???

-Millennial who just bought his groceries with Apple Pay

Old 06-18-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
cash?? what the hell is that???

-Millennial who just bought his groceries with Apple Pay
Cash? It is King. Ask your server how they like to get paid.
LOL

Don't get me started on people who don't know how to handle money.....
In the real estate world, the NC REALTORS and NC Bar Association just revised forms clarifying that buyers and sellers might trade funds via EFT, Venmo, Zelle, PayPal, whatever.
Because kids aren't being taught how to write checks, and we don't have enough wire fraud already with EFT.
So, after years of bleak warnings to agents not to get into wire transfers, this appears to encourage agents to facilitate wire transfers and step back into the liability arena.
Meh. Not impressed.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Cash? It is King. Ask your server how they like to get paid.
LOL

Don't get me started on people who don't know how to handle money.....
In the real estate world, the NC REALTORS and NC Bar Association just revised forms clarifying that buyers and sellers might trade funds via EFT, Venmo, Zelle, PayPal, whatever.
Because kids aren't being taught how to write checks, and we don't have enough wire fraud already with EFT.
So, after years of bleak warnings to agents not to get into wire transfers, this appears to encourage agents to facilitate wire transfers and step back into the liability arena.
Meh. Not impressed.
Do y’all take Bitcoin or Ethereum?

Old 06-18-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Do y’all take Bitcoin or Ethereum?
Lol.
I just asked a lender.
"Messy, messy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary