Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:24 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times

Advertisements

When I was 10 we spent a summer in upstate NY. I have to admit I loved those "I love NY" commericials. "I looooove New York" over and over. My sister and I sung that all the time... drove my mom crazy.

One of my personal favs for marketing a state is
I LOVERMONT.

Ithaca is Gorges is also clever.

So in this light I think we City Data folks should come up with clever slogans for NC and our NC towns.

I personally like:

Tickbite
It's not just for dogs.

Greenville
We were green before it was cool.
(This works for Greensboro too.)

Fork, NC
We're proud of our utensils

Lizard Lick, NC
Don't knock it until you've licked one

I haven't come up with any clever State Slogans. I bet these amazing City Data minds will have the state's next marketing sucess! So lets hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 01:42 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Will there always be a split between North and South?
When I lived in Florida (don't tell me it's not the South--it was--people there are from NC, SC, Georgia, etc..--I got to know the accents pretty well) most native Floridians or those from the south always had comments, remarks, etc. for the Northerners. I got called a "cracker" when I was working as a nurse in home health, trying to help a man who was basically dying (that's all he could think of is "you cracker"). This was alot of the time. I never acted rude to anyone, but rudeness was handed out to me on a platter.
When living in the North (NY) we had people from the South there and I never remember a northener being rude to a southerner. I never saw or felt it. THis was my experience. As far as a tee shirt--I think there are more issues here than the mere tee shirt. I doubt anyone is trying to take over NC--relax.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:46 PM

76 posts, read 363,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post
"I love NY", with the red heart for the word "love" is the "slogan" of NY state. Those commercials were on all the time, advertising to those who wanted to visit NY. No NY native, myself included, would wear that shirt, as it is a TOURIST'S souvenir.
ditto that. It is NY's "slogan" for tourists....

Old 05-28-2008, 01:49 PM

oh and onto NJ....when they say "You can take the girl out of NJ, but you can't take NJ out of the girl"....is so true...which is the problem I am finding when trying to get out of NJ.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:53 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
My husband's answer to people who say they're from NJ.

"Oh yeah? What exit?"

I though that was hysterically funny. Ok, I'm not from Jersey but I grew up in Philly and spent most of my summers "down the shore".

Old 05-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
My husband's answer to people who say they're from NJ.

"Oh yeah? What exit?"

I though that was hysterically funny. Ok, I'm not from Jersey but I grew up in Philly and spent most of my summers "down the shore".
That is right...Exit 105 here, sorta 'down the shore'! I love NJ but have to leave due to the expense. After reading this thread I am concerned with the way we will be accepted down south. If anyone were to move to NJ, I and many other's would not be offended if you wore something from another state and whatnot. It is pretty silly if you ask me. This is the United States for crying out loud. Geesh, I really hope my neighbors dont mind my RAIDERS flag hanging out front! Or my NY Rangers flag?! The only team NJ has is the Devils...and I hate the Devils! LOL!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:11 PM

578 posts, read 3,080,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I haven't come up with any clever State Slogans. I bet these amazing City Data minds will have the state's next marketing sucess! So lets hear them.
North Carolina - THE U-TURN STATE!

I've done more u-turns in the 12 months I've lived here than in all of my previous driving history.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:15 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
There are so many people here from NJ (*cough* parkway exit 153 here) that it should be fine. Esp. if you move to Cary or Raleigh. I do think this thread reflects real life but at least in person people won't say it to you. (I *guess* that's good ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBean View Post
That is right...Exit 105 here, sorta 'down the shore'! I love NJ but have to leave due to the expense. After reading this thread I am concerned with the way we will be accepted down south. If anyone were to move to NJ, I and many other's would not be offended if you wore something from another state and whatnot. It is pretty silly if you ask me. This is the United States for crying out loud. Geesh, I really hope my neighbors dont mind my RAIDERS flag hanging out front! Or my NY Rangers flag?! The only team NJ has is the Devils...and I hate the Devils! LOL!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:38 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
North Carolina - THE U-TURN STATE!

I've done more u-turns in the 12 months I've lived here than in all of my previous driving history.
LOL!!! I'm right there with you... probably the car right behind you doing a U turn too.

I'd give you rep points but I have to spread them around first.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:50 PM

578 posts, read 3,080,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
As an NC native, I feel sightly annoyed when I see people in The Triangle wearing "I _Heart_ N.Y." tee shirts, sweatshirts, jackets...whatever. It's certainly not something that I see everyday, but I do see that logo emblazoned around here often enough and whenever I do, there's just something very off-putting about it.

I'm not at all bothered by the local display of any out-of-state college or professional sports teams, but a bold display of "I Love NY" is a bit much. It gives me the impression that some transplants have more of a takeover/invasion mentality than they do an assimilation mentality.
Can anyone relate to this or is it just me?
Apparently you're not joking. I guess we'll all have to throw out our vacation t-shirt collections now. And I really liked California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary