Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:21 PM

551 posts, read 1,875,044 times

Advertisements

Ok James Taylor, question for you. In my neighborhood people fly flags of their college teams. I am a lifelong ACC fan and a PROUD graduate of the University of Maryland at College Park. I fly my Maryland Flag when they are playing. I love Raleigh but I went to college where I went to college. Does that offend you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
I certainly did not mean to offend anybody with the license plate frame comment. When I went back and read it I realized that I could have been clearer about what I was saying, since I didn't just pull what I said out of the sky.
I work at a local car dealership. We take about 50 cars in trade every month. Most people who already have NC plates just transfer them over, but sometimes the owner has moved from another state and left their old license plate on their car-they only get NC tags when they buy a new car and are forced to.
At least once or twice a month we have a client INSIST that we transfer their out-of-state dealer plate frame onto their new car. Sometimes the frame came off of an out of state tag, and sometimes it had been screwed back onto their car after they had gotten an NC tag.
I have started to ask people who request this why it means anything to them, and I have been told point blank by more than one person that they want people to know they came from another state. I can remember specific incidents where the states involved were New York, Florida, and California.
I will freely admit that some people don't give this stuff a second thought, but I have personally interacted with at least a dozen prople who did what I am describing for exactly the reason I am suggesting.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:26 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
Ok James Taylor, question for you. In my neighborhood people fly flags of their college teams. I am a lifelong ACC fan and a PROUD graduate of the University of Maryland at College Park. I fly my Maryland Flag when they are playing. I love Raleigh but I went to college where I went to college. Does that offend you?
Just read this - my son is also a graduate of University of MD at College Park. As soon as he heard I was moving down here, he warned me that if I EVER rooted for Duke, he would disown me....lol. He is true to his school.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:32 PM

100 posts, read 530,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I certainly did not mean to offend anybody with the license plate frame comment. When I went back and read it I realized that I could have been clearer about what I was saying, since I didn't just pull what I said out of the sky.
I work at a local car dealership. We take about 50 cars in trade every month. Most people who already have NC plates just transfer them over, but sometimes the owner has moved from another state and left their old license plate on their car-they only get NC tags when they buy a new car and are forced to.
At least once or twice a month we have a client INSIST that we transfer their out-of-state dealer plate frame onto their new car. Sometimes the frame came off of an out of state tag, and sometimes it had been screwed back onto their car after they had gotten an NC tag.
I have started to ask people who request this why it means anything to them, and I have been told point blank by more than one person that they want people to know they came from another state. I can remember specific incidents where the states involved were New York, Florida, and California.
I will freely admit that some people don't give this stuff a second thought, but I have personally interacted with at least a dozen prople who did what I am describing for exactly the reason I am suggesting.
No offense taken. For someone to insist on that is ridiculous. If I buy a new car and the dealer puts his on great; hopefully I'm helping him out. That guy or gal did the work to help me get a new vehicle and I should have his or her plate frame. Generally the cars I buy don't come with plate frames; most are so old I'm lucky if they come with bumpers or engines for that matter.

I'll tell you what does offend me though; someone saying to me "Sir, you have a receding hairline." I do. But I'd still be offended if someone said that to me.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:39 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I have started to ask people who request this why it means anything to them, and I have been told point blank by more than one person that they want people to know they came from another state.
ok that's a little strange. Maybe they were all related to the dealers...

Old 05-15-2008, 04:44 PM

54 posts, read 153,053 times
Default Unbelievable

I think it is hysterical that someone actually would be offended by a tee shirt or sweat shirt that says I Love NY or anywhere for that matter. Sounds to me like someone is suffering from paranoia. I lived in NJ for 50 years and moved to NC a year ago, and never wore a I Love NJ shirt, (imagine???lol) just my sports team hats and shirts like the Super Bowl Champion NEW YORK GIANTS.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:53 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,278 times
I have gotten used to that sort of thing in a way, having lived in FL for 8 years, and that ENTIRE STATE is "CARY" (the acronym). Or maybe FL should be called "CARRY" (containment area for relocated, retired yankees). LOL. I am kidding, of course, but if you go to most any FL store that carries sports team apparel (including Target, Wal-Mart, etc.) you will find Yankees apparel in greater supply than FL team apparel (unless it's college apparel). When the Yankees play the Devil Rays, the stadium is PACKED....with Yankees fans. Sigh.

But I guess *I* am extra sensitive b/c my family are Red Sox fans (and no, we're not from MA).

Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,557,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnNYYankee View Post
No offense taken. For someone to insist on that is ridiculous. If I buy a new car and the dealer puts his on great; hopefully I'm helping him out. That guy or gal did the work to help me get a new vehicle and I should have his or her plate frame. Generally the cars I buy don't come with plate frames; most are so old I'm lucky if they come with bumpers or engines for that matter.

I'll tell you what does offend me though; someone saying to me "Sir, you have a receding hairline." I do. But I'd still be offended if someone said that to me.
I take all advertisement off of my car! If the dealer wanted to pay me a little something in return then maybe we could talk

Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 PM

305 posts, read 713,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
I already answered your question in my initial posting: "I'm not at all bothered by the local display of any out-of-state college or professional sports teams".

Old 05-16-2008, 05:17 AM

82 posts, read 272,031 times
I gotta intervene here about the sports team stuff. If you think someone putting Mets/Yankees stuff all over there cars is trying to demonstrate that they are from NY you are sadly mistaken. I know the locals here may not understand it because this is by far not a baseball town. NY is a huge baseball town and some of us take our baseball very seriously and my no means are we trying to offend the locals or brag that we are from NY. We may have left our home state but no way we are leaving our home teams!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary