Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:57 PM

85 posts, read 255,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I have never heard of a landfill anywhere in the United States, exploding randomly. Do you have a link to support your theories?
Land fill fires occur regularly. Liner failure happens very often. People have been hurt and have died due to methane explosions in buildings adjacent to landfills. It happened in Winston Salem NC.

Open green space is a more acceptable use for a former land fill, however building schools or any building above a landfill is not really a wise decision and should be avoided. You really do not want your kids in a dumpy school do you?

LANDFILLS

Real estate and landfill gas hazards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 08:36 PM

29 posts, read 119,142 times
Default ny,ny finally someone with some real experience

Landfills are dangerous, plan and simple. I have studied landfills and thrown trash into many. No matter how well designed they are, they are all definitely going to start releasing liquids/gases eventually. Actually, most landfills are designed with a duct work while being filled. Many landfills have a leachate tank that captures liquids leaching from the landfill. Others also install methane monitoring/venting wells all along the landfill.

Do you realize that a major gas that developes in landfills is called H2S=hydrogen sulfide. It kills basically on contact.

Get with the facts. People throw all sorts of items in the landfills. Whether the landfill is designed for MSW or CD materials, items will be mixed.

Ask yourself, how much household cleaner would you have to pour into your well to start to taste it? Not much, well start calculating the surface area of a landfill and the trillions of tons of trash.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
For RDU, there is an exemption for the first sale for homes that have not been previously occupied. See RDU Aircraft Noise Program. But Vickie makes a very good point: a seller's agent will be able to alert a potential buyer to the RDU noise as well as other things.
RFB...I went to the airport website, which I have bookmarked, but haven't read lately. You are right. The builder does not have to disclose. That does not seem right to me, at all.

The truth is that with all the homes that I've sold and I sell about l/2 new construction, I've never had a builder NOT disclose. Even KB Homes discloses! I've sold all types of new construction by all builders and they have always disclosed airport noise, landfill, 540, etc., etc. I'm amazed.

So for those of you that run into a builder that doesn't disclose, I'd love to hear about it. Just something I'd like to be aware of.

Thanks RFB!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary