Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 10:50 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,550 times

Advertisements

I read a thread (dated back in 2007) that discussed Sterling Montessori -- specifically saying that after preschool, during the Early Years Program, the school is free (of course, the preschool costs $7000-9000/year depending on the hours).

My question is, if it is free after preschool years, how is it then funded? And why wouldn't everyone who's concerned about the whole redistricting thing not send then not send their kids to a montessori school? Unless, of course, you don't agree with the premise behind the school.

Any other opinions and thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 10:53 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
It's a public charter school for kindergarten and up. Charter schools receive state funding, but not for preschool. And yes, it's true that it is free after the preschool program.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It's a public charter school for kindergarten and up. Charter schools receive state funding, but not for preschool. And yes, it's true that it is free after the preschool program.
Other than academics, do they "act" like other elementary schools as far as there being sports programs? Do they compete with public schools?

Once kids finish Elementary program, do they just go into public (or private) high school? Or is there a montessori high school?

Any drawbacks to this type of program?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:44 AM

Most public elementary schools around here do not offer any sports programs. There may be a few special ones, like I know our elementary school has a "running club" for grades 3, 4 and 5. They started up a few years ago to do their part in combating chilhood obesity. I don't know about private schools, but I haven't really heard of any there either. The formal athletics programs and after school activities doesn't really start until middle school.
As for high school, children either go into their regular public high school, a private high school or another charter HS. There is one Montessori HS that I know of, but it's private and fairly expensive (although it's supposed to be very good). There is also a charter high school which is excellent but not Montessori.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:06 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
And why wouldn't everyone who's concerned about the whole redistricting thing not send then not send their kids to a montessori school? Unless, of course, you don't agree with the premise behind the school.
I know several people who have their kids at Sterling Montessori. It's my understanding that admission is by lottery, and the lottery is by child not by family, so you could wind up with one child there and another child someplace else. It is pretty hard to get a slot there. It's also my understanding that once there you must provide your own transportation, which can be pretty challenging depending on your family situation. So it definitely isn't for everyone, but those there seem to like it.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:12 PM

The key to Sterling is that if you pay for the preschool program, you get automatic entry into the elementary school when the time comes for your child to move up. The other slots are filled by lottery. So if you are willing to pay for your child to go there for pre-K, you are guaranteed a spot for elementary.
As for why other pepole don't try to go there to avoid redistricting: first of all there are not that many open slots, but they have tons of applicants. Second, not everyone likes Montessori education and third is the fact that there is no transportation which can be a problem for some families.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The key to Sterling is that if you pay for the preschool program, you get automatic entry into the elementary school when the time comes for your child to move up. The other slots are filled by lottery. So if you are willing to pay for your child to go there for pre-K, you are guaranteed a spot for elementary.
As for why other pepole don't try to go there to avoid redistricting: first of all there are not that many open slots, but they have tons of applicants. Second, not everyone likes Montessori education and third is the fact that there is no transportation which can be a problem for some families.
Thanks to both of you for responding -- this is excellent information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary