Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:30 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VMan View Post
Approximately what would one expect to pay to have someone aerate, do weed control, etc? I can handle the mowing and trimming, but just curious as to how much the rest would cost.
We use Countrysides. I believe the cost is $600 per year. It includes the fertilizing, aeration, seeding, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 03:35 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
I just took this week off from work and redid our front yard landscaping. We hired a landscape architect to do the plan, and then we did the installation ourselves. I would have loved to hire someone to do it, but I'm a CHEAP son of a beetch.

I first had to rip out all of the old shrubs that we didn't want anymore. Most were junipers. This was done a few at a time over the course of a few months. We also laid out the new planting beds and killed the grass where the new beds were to be located.

Last Friday I had 11 yards of topsoil/organic mulch delivered and I moved that to all the new planting beds. Then I went out and bought about 75 new shrubs and installed them over the last 3 days. I also dug up and moved 18 existing shrubs to put in new locations. I still need to install the lighting and pine straw, which I hope to do after the rain goes through this weekend.

I'm getting too old to do this. Thank God for "industrial strength" Advil.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:38 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I just took this week off from work and redid our front yard landscaping. We hired a landscape architect to do the plan, and then we did the installation ourselves. I would have loved to hire someone to do it, but I'm a CHEAP son of a beetch.

I first had to rip out all of the old shrubs that we didn't want anymore. Most were junipers. This was done a few at a time over the course of a few months. We also laid out the new planting beds and killed the grass where the new beds were to be located.

Last Friday I had 11 yards of topsoil/organic mulch delivered and I moved that to all the new planting beds. Then I went out and bought about 75 new shrubs and installed them over the last 3 days. I also dug up and moved 18 existing shrubs to put in new locations. I still need to install the lighting and pine straw, which I hope to do after the rain goes through this weekend.

I'm getting too old to do this. Thank God for "industrial strength" Advil.
That sounds like a lot of hard work! I would need another week off from work to recuperate!

Old 09-05-2008, 04:07 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
NewUser, I feel for you! I'll be doing something similar in a number of months, although on a smaller scale. I'm expanding one of our planting beds & I plan on doing most of the work myself.

I do all of our yard work: mowing raking, planting, etc. My husband has bad grass allergies, so when we were house-hunting we specifically looked for a property that I could easily maintain all by myself. Luckily, I like gardening so it all works out.

This autumn we're hiring a local gardener I know to aerate, fertilize, and seed our little bit of lawn. I wouldn't mind trying it out myself, but I'll be out of town a lot over the next couple of months & I simply won't have time. I'm hoping that I'll be in town when they do the work so I can learn from them, but that depends upon the weather.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:41 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,206 times
Yes we do our own much to our neighbors dismay. Unlike you we don't enjoy it much LOL! Thus far all the recommendations we have gotten and tried have not done a satisfactory job for what they are charging IMO. So when will you be over to work on our yard CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I am curious how many of you do all your own yard work? If you, do you just cut and trim the lawn, or do all your own landscape work too?

I reside in a nice Cary neighborhood and since moving into my new home, I have been cleaning up the yard, lawn bushes and so on. Three neighbors so far have seen me out doing my yard work and stopped by to say hi. These neighbors also offered me a recommendation of who does their yard work, if I wanted. I told them all, I don't mind doing it myself and actually enjoy it. I find it therapeutic in some way. However, I can't help but think my new neighbors might find it strange that I do my own yard, as they all pay to have their's done? I certainly can afford to hire it out, but I sincerely actually enjoy doing it myself.

I've been pulling weeds, trimming bushes, trees, shrubs, planting flowers, laying down new stepping stones, brick work, walk ways and so on.

So, do you do your own, or hire the work out?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,279 times
We do our own. Hubby does the mowing and I do the raking/trimming/planting/pruning. I would do the mowing, but I'm terrified of lawn mowers since being hit by a rock with one. Planning to conquer that... soon. I did our mowing at our last house, with a push manual mower. I love it, especially when it's pretty outside. Very therapeutic!

Old 09-05-2008, 05:04 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,080 times
I do my own, though I don't like it. I can't countenance paying a (relatively) large amount of money to do something that I can easily do myself. Moreover, I hate the noise & pollution of the gas mowers & edgers that the commercial landscapers use, so I got myself an electric (cordless) mower and an electric (corded) edger and do it myself. It helps that I've a small yard.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
While I do my own yard work, I totally get it that some people would rather pay somebody else to do it. For some they just don't enjoy it that much and others while they may enjoy it, their yards are big enough that it would require a substantial time commitment. I can definitely see why some would hire a pro since they often have the tools and equipment to do the job much faster and better.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
While I do my own yard work, I totally get it that some people would rather pay somebody else to do it. For some they just don't enjoy it that much and others while they may enjoy it, their yards are big enough that it would require a substantial time commitment. I can definitely see why some would hire a pro since they often have the tools and equipment to do the job much faster and better.
It amazes me how fast our lawn care guy blows thru a 1/3 acre lot with the equipment he has-what would take me two to three hours he finishes in 45 minutes with the big mower.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:27 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I am curious how many of you do all your own yard work? If you, do you just cut and trim the lawn, or do all your own landscape work too?

I reside in a nice Cary neighborhood and since moving into my new home, I have been cleaning up the yard, lawn bushes and so on. Three neighbors so far have seen me out doing my yard work and stopped by to say hi. These neighbors also offered me a recommendation of who does their yard work, if I wanted. I told them all, I don't mind doing it myself and actually enjoy it. I find it therapeutic in some way. However, I can't help but think my new neighbors might find it strange that I do my own yard, as they all pay to have their's done? I certainly can afford to hire it out, but I sincerely actually enjoy doing it myself.

I've been pulling weeds, trimming bushes, trees, shrubs, planting flowers, laying down new stepping stones, brick work, walk ways and so on.

So, do you do your own, or hire the work out?
We do our own yard work. We do not enjoy doing it (I can think of a million other things I want/need to do), but we just can't stomach paying for someone to mow my lawn and pull weeds. So our answer to this is to move to the triangle where we are certain we'll get less yard and it won't be overwhelming like it is now for us . Then we can spend our time doing all those other things we'd much rather be doing.

I've always envied those who find it therapeutic to do yard work. I just find it more therapeutic to sit outside and sip on a cold one. To each his (or her) own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary