Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:08 PM

115 posts, read 464,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmerika View Post
In Europe, if you extend an invitation (for anything! Lunch, dinner, sleep on my floor) they believe you mean it. Over here it's often said frequently and without sincerity.
But no one in their right mind would buy a ticket with at least confirming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 04:42 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,310,297 times
I would politely tell him that he is welcome to stay for a few days (my limit would be three), but that he will need to make other arrangements for the remainder of his stay. If necessary, tell him that you will be going out of town. (I'd be prepared to go spend the night away from home just to prove the point.)

You are under NO obligation to put him up for three weeks. It's unbelievably inconsiderate of him to ask this of you - especially considering that he hardly knows you. Pretty arrogant if you ask me.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:41 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,190,141 times
We met a great couple from England while on vacation in St Lucia a few years back. We told them that if they stopped in San Francisco the following year on the way to Hawaii to let us know and we could meet up with them for the day. We had been in fairly regular contact over that year so when they were making their plans for their trip, asked us if we'd mind if they visited for a WEEK. We didn't have any issues with it, but did think it odd that they would ask to stay for a full week since we'd only spent a few days together on "holiday". They later explained that a lot of Europeans will spend time like this with friends even fairly new acquaintances. I have no basis for comparison in regards to their statement.

OP. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't feel comfortable not knowing this person very well and would put him up for a couple of days max.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:43 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,151,623 times
With that length of a visit, there's really no need for him to stay in NC the whole time. I might encourage him to get an Amtrak pass (just like Eurail, they do sell passes to overseas visitors) and maybe go up to DC/NY or down to Atlanta where he can find youth hostels and public transportation. Alternatively, it's a pretty comfortable time of year here. Maybe he can go do some camping at the coast or in the mountains. That would be cheap!

Have you contacted your mutual friend? Maybe he/she can give a little more insight into the whole situation.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
I think couchsurfing (where you offer strangers you don't even know to stay on your couch as they pass through town) is a cool concept. Not for everybody, though.
Yeah. Like people possessing common sense.

Sorry for any offense, but that's a mind-numbingly stupid concept, esp in this day and age and for a wide variety of reasons which I would hope are extremely obvious. Anyone doing this shouldn't be allowed to come crying to any judge if one these "surfers" takes advantage of them, even to the point of committing crimes against them. That's like jumping off a cliff and then complaining because the water wasn't all nice and soft below. yeesh

Re. this German putz, I would kindly suggest he contact your "friend" (you said friend of a friend) and have THEM handle it.

Unbelievable.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:14 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,172,414 times
I have to agree that this seems like a little bit much...I could see a few days,....or even a week.....but three weeks???!!!! I know Europeans do things differently, but he should have made sure you would even be in town. I wouldn't want to leave someone alone in my house that I barely know!!!

I think the extended stay sounds like a good idea...they usually have a kitchenette and living area, and with the euro being worth more than the American dollar, it should be cheap enough for him. When he said $50 did he mean Euros?

I would go with a few days anyway. As Ben Franklin said, fish and visitors stink in three days!!! And couchsurfing sounds stupid...you never know who you might encounter. Could be Jack the Ripper!!!!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
Where should you send an essentially-uninvited German guy you barely know while you are out of town after he just randomly shows up at your house?.....back to the Deutschland!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,565,190 times
I am laughing so hard right now. A good thread to end the night on.

Thanks,
Debbie

Old 09-15-2008, 08:25 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbgirl View Post
ha ha...i'm german...it's not a cultural thing.
lol!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Do you all remember when I said that I found the perfect mat for my front door but hubby wouldn't let me buy it?!!

All it said was "LEAVE".

"Nuff said?

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary