Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:30 PM

171 posts, read 452,036 times

Advertisements

These photo's are not unlike photo's I could take from several parts of Hartford, New Haven, New London, Bridgeport or Stamford, CT. Raleigh is beautiful and I am looking forward to moving there, but it is not a mecca and not without it's own problems. These photo's are just the inner city part of southeast Raleigh. Southeast Raleigh extends further out than these pictures represent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 09:06 PM

306 posts, read 1,306,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrusso View Post

I love that little blue house. The neighboring properties look good too. Which street is this?

Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I had an investor client about 3 years ago that had me finding her houses in those areas that were selling for $35,000 to $40,000! We had a blast going downtown, getting lost and hoping we could find our way out! She bought about 5 of these homes, rents them out and has positive cash flow. Now the fun part...they are appreciating quite well! Vicki

Old 06-09-2007, 08:46 PM

173 posts, read 939,427 times
I live in SE Raleigh, and it is NOT that bad. I actually live in a new subdivision with lot's of retiree's.
I dont think those pictures were a FAIR representation of SE Raleigh.
Anyway=====Great Post

Old 06-09-2007, 08:53 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Most of those pics are "dowtown" but seriously, it's not that bad. ACtually there is a lot of rennovating going on down there. I hope they don't tear all those old homes down. I sincerely hope that there are people out there who take the risk in buying these properties and fixing them up. There are some REALLY neat and unique homes in that part of the city. I wish the city would do more to preserve them even though the aren't the victorian mansions you can find in historic Oakwood (only a few blocks over!!!)

Old 06-23-2007, 12:39 PM

71 posts, read 249,373 times
These pictures show a community of working poor. I'm positive you will find all races in this community. I know there are communities like this in every state. Every neighborhood is going to have something. I live in an area where the homes cost 1/2 a million and we deal with preppy gangs who are going around with their video recorder beating the crap out of people for no reason other than having nothing better to do. I would not look down on any area of town because you have bad elements in all communities.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,356 times
It's amazing how some things remain the same. I recently moved from Raleigh, near Garner over a year ago and have moved back up north because I thought I would really see a lot of change in southeast Raleigh, mainly the area where I grew up that is being showed in the pictures but I personally witnessed these areas growing up as a child and to still see them makes me really sad. I was so depressed at times especially having to drive home from work in downtown Raleigh through some of these areas and always seeing the destruction and poverty day after day. I truly hope that the city get a reality check because there are some good hard working people in these areas who just haven't been given a break. Instead of always trying to please the big businesses they need to put some of the tax money into the people who have made southeast Raleigh continue to flourish. I plan on going back soon to visit my family and hopefully I can get the vision of these pictures from my head before then.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:57 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrusso View Post
Those outside the Beltline parts didn't even exist 10 years ago.

Hmm my parents bought a home in SE Raleigh outside the beltline in a pretty decent sized neighborhood in 1974.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
I used to drive through the parts of Raleigh pictured, just about every night. You are seeing these pictures taken in the daytime. At night you can pretty much forget you're even in NC and start thinking you're in St. Louis or Detroit, though it is significantly safer. By *safer* I do not advocate prancing around the corner of MLK and Rock Quarry with your wallet in hand, singing the lyrics to ZZ Top's "Just Got Paid." I do advocate locking your doors when you're driving through this part of town, especially at intersections. Stationary cars are easier to steal than moving ones.

The southeast side will never reach its potential as long as everyone coming in insists on the new construction/subdivision route. Furthermore the city has obviously done nothing with that part of town in a long time, and has no reason to as long as nobody shows interest in being around there. But take away the Rust Belt scenery and you have an awesome location. Buy one of those houses, straighten it up and you will contribute to eradicating the ugliness. That view of downtown is gonna be awesome when the new towers and such go up. I'd take that over buying something in Clayton and driving another >20 miles every day to work and back if I was doing it because I couldn't afford anywhere else.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:14 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Why don't poor people care for their homes? Lack of time, money, interest in maintaining a landlord's property, substance abuse issues, health & social issues... a one time cleanup does not do the trick.
I have a job which is very good to me, pays well, and I am required to work less than 40 hours/week with a flexible schedule. Even with all of that it takes just about any spare time I am willing to devote to keep my house maintained inside, outside, and structurally.

Last edited by tlh1005; 08-23-2007 at 09:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary