Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:38 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS1 View Post
I was laid off in June. My family & I relocated to the RTP in Dec 06'. I Love almost everything about the area and culture -except I have yet to find a job locally. I have been a 100% traveling software consultant for the past 3yrs and have applied to literally >200 jobs in the past 6mos.. I have had only 2 interviews locally. All hinge on "salary expetations". I am sooo very willing to negotiate a rate that is comensurate with the area. It seems 50-75k seem to be the norm. I have an extensive background in Health Care -Supply Chain and logistics along with ERP
software experience. Seems my prev. salary scares everyone away. I love the area and no longer want to travel in order to earn a living. I want to be connected to my community and participate. These are challenging times indeed. I would like to know if anyone in the group can suggest local networking groups?. I think this will be the only way I can connect with locals that know the local climate and needs.
I would be inclined to bend the truth a little about previous salary. Why should that matter anyway if you are interested in the position? I think its unlikely that they will try to, or have a way to get that information unless they write to the previous employer. Wouldn't normally recommend lying, but these are tough times. Did you relocate from a location with a higher cost of living? Thats always a valid excuse for higher pay. All the ERP consultants I know made a bundle back in the day....but not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,141 times
I'm new to the site and I am graduating in December from Appalachian State University. Alot of professors talk about Raleigh as good location for marketing students but I seem to have trouble finding legit jobs in the area. Mostly I have found job offerings from places that see sketchy. Is Raleigh actually a good place for marketing or are teachers basing this off of hear say?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNC View Post
I'm new to the site and I am graduating in December from Appalachian State University. Alot of professors talk about Raleigh as good location for marketing students but I seem to have trouble finding legit jobs in the area. Mostly I have found job offerings from places that see sketchy. Is Raleigh actually a good place for marketing or are teachers basing this off of hear say?
It is likely not so much "hearsay" as outdated info. There were a LOT of things that "Raleigh was a good place for" a couple of years ago, that aren't true now, at least for the short term. Professors in Boone probably knew that for a while, this was a good job market, but may not realize that the economy soured here as much as anywhere else. When companies downsize, marketing is a common early area to cut, since they are in many cases going into Survival Mode. When things pick back up, it may be one of the first areas they revitalize, since they will want to get their image back out there. But when that will be, we can't say.

You might want to check which cities' economies are doing well right now (wherever they are) and look at marketing positions in thsoe places.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:52 PM

406 posts, read 787,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNC View Post
Mostly I have found job offerings from places that seem sketchy.
Craigslist is full of scam artists that use high unemployment to prey on desparate job seekers.
(they deserve a special place in hell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
It is likely not so much "hearsay" as outdated info. There were a LOT of things that "Raleigh was a good place for" a couple of years ago, that aren't true now, at least for the short term. Professors in Boone probably knew that for a while, this was a good job market, but may not realize that the economy soured here as much as anywhere else.
A couple of years ago is when I was doing my research on the area my fiance and I moved here 11/2 years ago I found a job almost right away but was laid off in June. Since then I have been conducting a thorough and intense job search and I have yet to find a position. People who have secure jobs should thank their lucky stars. IMHO people who have avoided being affected by the Great Recession don't realize how bad it is.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,168 times
It is very scary out there. I was laid off from two jobs last year. School is the place to be. =) If you can get grants or scholarships. I would have to agree though; there is lots to see around here, and with no work, plenty of time to catch it all. =) I hear the ABC store is making plenty of money. lol Maybe they need stockers. Seriously, get prepared for a hard cold winter. There are more layoffs to come and not just for the triangle. Hey, maybe they'll give out a Christmas stimulus package. lol

Old 10-22-2009, 11:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
Technically speaking the recession is over when we have two consecutive quarters of positive growth. As far as the unemployed are concerned, its not over until they find a job.

Mike

Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 AM

174 posts, read 407,433 times
Since this thread seems to go on forever, I will post this here; has anyone noticed that there seem (at least to me) to be more and more companies (and since I am in IT that is mostly what I notice) from "somewhere else" recruiting for people in the Triangular Region (as in listing jobs that are located way outside this area but listing them in our "local media")?

Old 10-23-2009, 01:14 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I haven't noticed any uptick recently, but in the Good Old Days (about two years ago and earlier), I used to get calls all the time for jobs in places I wouldn't move to in a million years.

The companies are smart to recruit people who live here.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:04 AM

406 posts, read 787,982 times
This article indicates it may get worse before it gets better

Triangle joblessness creeps up - Local/State - News & Observer

Old 10-24-2009, 11:44 AM

15 posts, read 41,731 times
pharmaceuticals are always hiring...if you can get in as a project assistant, admin or customer service, it's pretty easy to move up.

I know RTP has PPD, Kendle, Quintiles, Parexel, Astrazeneca, GSK...etc...just google it and look around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary