Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times

Advertisements

There will always, always, always, and I mean always, be people who have it much better than you, and they just plain don't deserve it. They may wriggle their way into a high-paying job and then never have to do another thing in their lives.

That is a fact of life (especially American corporate life). It always has been and it always will be.

Take a deep breath and just accept it. I know it's hard. I really do.

I remember my husband's sister-in-law from Ohio saying to me (smugly), when I was BETWEEN contract jobs, "Well, the secret to our success is that we WORK HARD."

"OH, REALLY," I thought.

I have been working since the age of 17, full time, and going all the way up to graduate school at night, and raising my family at the same time, and dealing with the daily issues and challenges that everyone goes through, etc., etc. And you think I didn't WORK HARD? I was always able to find full-time regular contract work -- for decades -- until recently.

The reality is that very few people actually do NOT work hard in their lives. There are just a fortunate few who don't. Whatever. They don't matter. Let it go.

By the way, if you are successful, don't ever attribute it to "working hard." In general, everyone works hard. Those at the bottom of the salary ladder work harder than anyone.

Looking at the big picture, there are a WHOLE LOT more people who have it much worse than you do, not only here in the U.S., but worldwide.

Use your "anger" energy for other things: Think up a business idea. Think of a need and meet it. Mow yards. Do web pages. Plant gardens. Repair whatever you possibly know how to repair. Do every possible thing you can. Meet as many people as possible and share your story. Someone will end up being able to help you or know someone who can.

Let your ego go. That will get in the way of just about everything. It's just not worth the energy, and it will keep you back.

You have two arms, two legs, and a working heart, lungs, brain, and voice. Think of the people who are jealous of that. You are wealthy in comparison.

Just pick yourself up and do whatever you possibly can to keep afloat. Things will change. It might take a while, but they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
I don't have anything against anyone who has a regular job, or even someone who has a high paying job, as long as they do the work to justify the pay. What I do have a problem with are the people who got their cushy, high paying jobs because of who they are or who they know, and there are a lot of people like that in the area. These are the chosen few who get paid extremely well, and do very little actual work, in fact most days you'd have a better time finding them at a golf course rather than in their office, after all they have their minions to do the actual work. And yes, they do support the economy by throwing their extra crumbs to the landscapers, housekeepers, etc..., and yes we should bow down at their feet if we are one of the lucky ones to receive their extra crumbs, but still I find it very unfair that these people don't have to worry about being downsized, they will justify with a straight face laying off several of the actual workers, but will balk at the idea of accepting less money and/or bonuses in order to keep some of those people employed.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-09-2009 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 09:05 PM

360 posts, read 996,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

Use your energy that you now use for anger for other things: Think up a business idea. Think of a need and meet it. Mow yards. Do web pages. Plant gardens. Repair whatever you possibly know how to repair. Do every possible thing you can.
Just pick yourself up and do whatever you possibly can to keep afloat. Things will change. It might take a while, but they will.
Yes, I have tried that, I have put ads in the "services" section on Craigslist for every skill I know how to do, but the only replies I ever get are spam. I can't afford to pay for a listing in the newspaper. Most business ideas have already been thought of, and right now nobody wants to buy anything so sales jobs are out. Most "business opportunities" are rip offs and they just want to take what little money you have left. And it doesn't make sense for me to take a job that pays anything less than $12 an hour because I get that much in unemployment. I hope things do change, and hopefully before I lose my mind

Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
I know the feeling.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 PM

60 posts, read 215,330 times
Default Anyone work(ed) for The Greer Group?

What are(were) your experiences working with them?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Matt View Post
What are(were) your experiences working with them?
I saw a job listing by Greer that said they only paid $6.75 an hour Is that even minimum wage

Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Those who have jobs -- admit it, you do feel smug. So what. You are merely fortunate.
Sorry, but that's not true. Everyone I know whose job is fairly stable is very grateful, not to mention continually waiting for another shoe to drop, that might drop on them.

jmana--if you are really hurting for money, try donating plasma--I did that several times a week one summer when all I had was two very part-time jobs. They can take it up to 3 times a week and pay $15-20 each donation, just for sitting there reading for two hours.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:55 PM

104 posts, read 377,295 times
I really feel for everyone out there but I wonder if some salaries were inflated. Should salespeople make more than trained scientists? Well, before I went into my PhD program I was making $39k/yr (with 5-6yrs experience) while most of my salesman friends pulled in $40-60k/yr straight out of college in an unrelated field. English majors sold cars, history majors sold plumbing products; you get the idea. They had much less specialized training than me so it really made me mad. My job is much more secure than a salesperson but may never be better paying I guess. I don't mean to inflame here, but I think the people who are upset they can't make $60k/yr working as sales reps today need to get real.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoMongo View Post
I really feel for everyone out there but I wonder if some salaries were inflated. Should salespeople make more than trained scientists? Well, before I went into my PhD program I was making $39k/yr (with 5-6yrs experience) while most of my salesman friends pulled in $40-60k/yr straight out of college in an unrelated field. English majors sold cars, history majors sold plumbing products; you get the idea. They had much less specialized training than me so it really made me mad. My job is much more secure than a salesperson but may never be better paying I guess. I don't mean to inflame here, but I think the people who are upset they can't make $60k/yr working as sales reps today need to get real.
The thing about sales, is that is the nature of it. You are supposed to save when the times are good so you can ride out the bad, but I've known many in sales who thought they had to live like a successful person to be a successful person so they spent all the money on flashy cars, clothes, and houses and are now in bad shape.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,168,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
I don't have anything against anyone who has a regular job, or even someone who has a high paying job, as long as they do the work to justify the pay. What I do have a problem with are the people who got their cushy, high paying jobs because of who they are or who they know, and there are a lot of people like that in the area. These are the chosen few who get paid extremely well, and do very little actual work, in fact most days you'd have a better time finding them at a golf course rather than in their office, after all they have their minions to do the actual work. And yes, they do support the economy by throwing their extra crumbs to the landscapers, housekeepers, etc..., and yes we should bow down at their feet if we are one of the lucky ones to receive their extra crumbs, but still I find it very unfair that these people don't have to worry about being downsized, they will justify with a straight face laying off several of the actual workers, but will balk at the idea of accepting less money and/or bonuses in order to keep some of those people employed.
Woah, this sounds like a huge chip on a shoulder. This is a serious overgeneralization that probably reveals more about the poster than intended.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Woah, this sounds like a huge chip on a shoulder. This is a serious overgeneralization that probably reveals more about the poster than intended.
No, not a "huge chip on a shoulder", it just annoys me that these people exist, and they do exist, I've met several of them. And no, it's not an overgeneralization either, these people are exactly as I described them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary