Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:48 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
I live in the North King Charles Neighborhood, it is called Windsor park and is the bungalow community next to the bigger houses in the Longview neighborhood.

It is a fine neighborhood that has improved in the past few years (I have been living here for 5 years). You can still find houses here for under $100K that are mainly cosmetic fixer uppers. This is fairly prime ITB cheap but going up real estate. Most lots are in the .22 to .25 acre size. Houses were built in the 1950's and were 800sq foot bungalows with small kitchens, 2 beds, 1 bath and a living room. The common additions are a family room in the back (which is what I have) or a bedroom with an extra bath (neighbors have that and works well).

I bought my house for $87.5K ($2K back for repairs I requested in the inspection, about $2K in closing paid by sellers). Things I have done: tore carpet out of back living and put down fake hardwoods, Painted bedroom, replaced Heatpack, painted back room, tore out kitchen and built new cabinets, plus misc yard work is ongoing. The AC was at the end of life when I bought the place and I knew I would need to replace it, total cost for the unit was $3.5K.

To get a good idea of what can be done with houses in the area check out Team Home Buyer, they are flipping houses with some success and seem to do a great job. I would guess that even in this economy I could sell my place for the $110K to $120K range.

The neighborhood is quiet, a good mix of races and ages. I will say it is becoming a bit younger than when I orginally moved in. Crime is limited to the occasional breakin. Last year the only thing I heard of beyond that was a home invasion to an eldery lady a few blocks away. Dog walking is popular, starting to see more joggers. I no longer find trash in my front yard or too many strangers on the street. Overall for ITB living on the cheap I would rate it towards the top.
It was my hunch to offer positive input on this area, but I think more valuable from one who livest there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 03:39 PM

171 posts, read 430,361 times
That's great to hear! We drove through the King Charles area and really thought it was a good deal for the price. We've been hearing a lot of good things too. That's great to hear. Considering it's a couple minutes to work, it's definitely tops on the list.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:48 PM

171 posts, read 430,361 times
I've never looked through Six Forks North as I haven't seen anything below $120, but in this market, you never know. It sounds interesting, we’ll have to drive through and scope it out. Thanks KickChick2000

I’ve never lived on septic before, so it does scare me a bit. It sounds best to avoid if possible. A very good point MikeJaquish.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:44 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheone81 View Post
I've never looked through Six Forks North as I haven't seen anything below $120, but in this market, you never know. It sounds interesting, we’ll have to drive through and scope it out. Thanks KickChick2000
There are two homes listed close to 120k right now, one is 122k and the other is $124,900(over 2,000sqft and it has a basement). I'm sure if 120k was your max you could get either of these homes for that. Good luck and I'm sure you will find a place soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary