Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:38 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,778,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Tonali - Durham, NC, 27707 - Citysearch

According to some of the ladies in my Tai Chi class Tonali's Restaurant in Durham is the place to go for organic Mexican food. It is supposedly a hole in the wall place where most of the staff don't speak English but the food is delicious.

If you go here, get the paella. Yum to the max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,506,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
If you go here, get the paella. Yum to the max.
Isn't paella Spanish? I've never heard of it in Mexico.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,778,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Isn't paella Spanish? I've never heard of it in Mexico.
It's billed as Nouveau Mexican, which I guess means non-traditional

Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 AM

744 posts, read 1,263,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Tonali - Durham, NC, 27707 - Citysearch

According to some of the ladies in my Tai Chi class Tonali's Restaurant in Durham is the place to go for organic Mexican food. It is supposedly a hole in the wall place where most of the staff don't speak English but the food is delicious.
Tonali's staff-- at least the waitress and Chef Andres-- speak English wonderfully. Chef Andres used to be the sous chef at Four Square. Also, while Tonali is modest it is hardly a hole-in-the-wall, at least compared to all the other tacquerias. The service can be a little spotty at times but the staff is warm and friendly and th food is top notch. You can tell that these people care about the product they are putting in front of their customers.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:13 PM

121 posts, read 381,731 times
Durham has a fair number of authentic taquerias.
I'll give another plug for Chubby's on 9th as a more gringo-friendly place to get real Mexican food. And yes, the fish tacos are fantastic.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Actually it is "La Fiesta Grille" and the food is as stated above, on par with La Fiesta Grille,actually it is a toss up depending on your preference, is La Cocina in Mebane, my personal favorite. I've spent years south of the border in C & S America, in Mexico City, La Cocina would be a very good restaurante. Because I speak spanish I have a number of hispanic friends, most of whom do not speak much english. From time to time, they will come over to the house and take my wife and I out for dinner at "the best mexican restaurante in this part of N. Carolina", invariably they take me to La Cocina, when we walk in the Waiters (mozos) start mouthing off at me in spanish, not being the shy type, I mouth back- it's a friendly game, the people treating us to dinner, at this point catch on and invaribly ask "you've been here before, yes?" and the mozos break out laughing. If you get there early enough, you will probably be the only gringos in the house. The chipotles are delicious as are their quesadillas, arroz con camarones, y arroz con pollo , they list a large burrito with a selection of fillings, forget the menu, tell them you want it filled with "carnitas, con salsa verde" , large portions and much better than you would expect- haven't seen any fish tacos on their menu, but, then again, I haven't asked and I haven't made it to the back of the menu yet, and have been eating there for years. Oh yeah, one other thing,..... the Flan is superb!

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 02-09-2009 at 06:16 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
My DH & I had heard about a place in Carrboro...which is quite a drive for us, but we had to try it. The place is called Fiesta Grill...its on 54 west of Carrboro (I think). Its pretty far out. But we made a day of it...did some shopping and then headed there for lunch. Hallelujah!!! Its the real thing folks!! We talked to someone who I think is the owner...he is from So Cal, and said he had the same problem when he moved here...no good Mex food! The beans, the rice were so good...they even had my much sought after Chili Verde!!! The chips are thick, homeade and crispy crunchy...some of the best I've ever had. Yummy salsa too. My husband said his taco, which had shredded beef (not ground) and a fresh crunchy shell was excellent. If you like CA Mex...this is it. It is NOT Tex Mex. I saw a plate of fajitas come out that smelled outstanding. I am so full I can hardly move, but don't care!!! I've been waiting for this meal for almost 4 yrs!!! By the way...the place is extremely small...only seats about 14 people total. We did a late lunch and had to wait about 15 minutes. But I'm not complaining
Just curious...Since both CA and TX border Mexico, what makes CA style Mexican food more REAL?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:59 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Just curious...Since both CA and TX border Mexico, what makes CA style Mexican food more REAL?
I asked the same question over a week ago and nobody answered me. I tried to find info on the web and only found that Cali-Mex used less peppers than Tex-Mex. Someone also suggested that Cali-Mex uses more fresh avocados. Perhaps this thread should be titled "I found it - REAL SoCali-Mex food!!!!!"

Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 AM

767 posts, read 1,848,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I asked the same question over a week ago and nobody answered me. I tried to find info on the web and only found that Cali-Mex used less peppers than Tex-Mex. Someone also suggested that Cali-Mex uses more fresh avocados. Perhaps this thread should be titled "I found it - REAL SoCali-Mex food!!!!!"
Ok, the title is offically changed! You are right, I am from So Cal, so So Cal mex food is what I was looking for....not tex mex. I would definitely not say this is mex from Mexico, which has many different dishes...and many things I would not eat (pigs ears, tripe...yuk). If you have eaten mex food in TX and mex food in CA, you know what I am talking about.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
If you have eaten mex food in TX and mex food in CA, you know what I am talking about.
But I haven't, so please enlighten me. I've been to southern California on a few occasions, but don't recall what I ate. Is it just the spice/pepper thing, or is there more to it?

If I think of cheap Tex-Mex, I think of ground beef with taco seasoning mix, corn chips/fried corn tortillas, canned Chili-con-carne, and Velveeta-style cheese sauce. But that is CHEAP Tex-Mex like you'd find at any of the fast food places (Taco Bell, Taco Bueno) or some of the semi-fast food places (Don Pablos, Panchos). Ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary