Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:53 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times

Advertisements

You people are unbelievable, "no Walmart in MY neighborhood" - get over yourselves. New Super Walmart opened across the street from me in one of the upscale areas of Richmond - beautiful store - hardwood floors, national TV add filmed there last month, but most important - only the FINEST and MOST SOPHISTICATED Walmart shoppers shop in OUR Walmart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 02:29 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfboy90 View Post
You guys talking trash people that don't make as much as you dont deserve what you have.

........ what?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:00 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
Lightbulb Reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
You people are unbelievable, "no Walmart in MY neighborhood" - get over yourselves. New Super Walmart opened across the street from me in one of the upscale areas of Richmond - beautiful store - hardwood floors, national TV add filmed there last month, but most important - only the FINEST and MOST SOPHISTICATED Walmart shoppers shop in OUR Walmart
First of all, this has little to do with the development being a Wal-Mart. I think the residents would have a problem if it were a Target, or a Saks Fifth Avenue, or an Ikea...

If you have read the news in our area, the main issues are environmental issues:

"A developer is contesting the geological boundaries of the lake (Lake Jordan) in hopes they will be moved to allow him more land to build. The County Commissioner is investigating this issue because it has possibly negative environmental implications."

Here is a different list (not my own) of why the residents do not want a Wal-Mart (or another big box store) in this proposed area:

"it would kill surrounding neighborhoods with traffic, and would have even more disadvantages (lights, aesthetics, etc.) for the immediately adjacent neighborhood(s). Wal-mart Shopping Centers are impervious surface at its utmost, and this would further damage this area's streams, wetlands and ultimately Jordan Lake."

So this is not as simple as Yes Wal-Mart / No Wal-Mart decision. It is more a question of who is lining who's pockets to get a residential plot of land zoned to commercial along with changing the watershed maps to allow a developer to build on an even bigger plot of land.

Bottom Line: Moderator cut: language the birds, fish, water and wildlife of Jordan Lake, I just want my $1 widget!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-20-2010 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Please use appropriate language, or let the language filters do their job.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:57 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
First of all, this has little to do with the development being a Wal-Mart. I think the residents would have a problem if it were a Target, or a Saks Fifth Avenue, or an Ikea...

If you have read the news in our area, the main issues are environmental issues:

"A developer is contesting the geological boundaries of the lake (Lake Jordan) in hopes they will be moved to allow him more land to build. The County Commissioner is investigating this issue because it has possibly negative environmental implications."

Here is a different list (not my own) of why the residents do not want a Wal-Mart (or another big box store) in this proposed area:

"it would kill surrounding neighborhoods with traffic, and would have even more disadvantages (lights, aesthetics, etc.) for the immediately adjacent neighborhood(s). Wal-mart Shopping Centers are impervious surface at its utmost, and this would further damage this area's streams, wetlands and ultimately Jordan Lake."

So this is not as simple as Yes Wal-Mart / No Wal-Mart decision. It is more a question of who is lining who's pockets to get a residential plot of land zoned to commercial along with changing the watershed maps to allow a developer to build on an even bigger plot of land.

Bottom Line: Moderator cut: language the birds, fish, water and wildlife of Jordan Lake, I just want my $1 widget!
My TIC comment is addressed to those posters who could care less about Jordan or the "environmental damage" - they don't want Walmart "riff raff" in their "hood"

btw - Walmart parking lots provide a good winter habitat and food for sea birds who seek shelter inland during cold weather, so it aint all bad .

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-20-2010 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 06-20-2010, 06:45 AM

All I'm really worried about is the traffic. That corner just seems like a terrible place to put anything that's going to draw a decent crowd. It'd be nice if maybe it went somewhere a little farther away from the mall to spread it all out, like maybe in the Southpoint Auto Mall (lol).

Mike

Old 06-20-2010, 11:01 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Well, what I don't understand is that everyone seems to want to move to SW Durham, so they can be close to the mall and all the shopping, and now you don't want the shopping and all the traffic? What did you think you were getting when you were moving there?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:07 AM

305 posts, read 760,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
So, did they say that it would specifically be a Wal-Mart? I just can't see four Wal-Marts within a 15 mile radius in this area. I mean, there is one on 15-501, one in Brier Creek, one in Morrisville, and then this one in Southpoint?
They very specifically said they do not have a contract at this time with any potential companies that could occupy the space, so they "don't know" who the occupants will be. However, the vast majority of properties managed/developed by the company are anchored by Wal-Mart and/or Sam's Club. So while there is a small chance it won't be, the most likely outcome will be Wal-Mart or Sam's.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
Well, what I don't understand is that everyone seems to want to move to SW Durham, so they can be close to the mall and all the shopping, and now you don't want the shopping and all the traffic? What did you think you were getting when you were moving there?
What I would like to see is some real thought put into the access to a shopping plaza, something that seems to get less and less attention with every plaza built. None are much better than the other, but as I sit here and think about all Wal-Marts within reasonable driving distance to my house (Woodcroft), ALL of them are a serious PITA to get into and out of. The best would be the new one in Morrsiville, but as I mentioned, they bring everyone past the front of the store where it bottlenecks because of pedestrians. Stupid.

If they can design the plaza and develop the roads so that it doesn't become a mess, I would welcome a WalMart (and especially a Sam's, though a Costco would be better IMO). It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do, but I don't have high hopes gieven the precedence set by the other plazas in SW Durham.

Just look at the Best Buy lot across the street. It's a GREAT shopping plaza, but they make it such a pain to get into and out of by not allowing S/B Fayetteville St to turn left down the main access road that runs between Best Buy and REI. Just stupid, IMO. Southpoint Mall isn't much better. It's easy enough to get into, but to get out going North on Fayetteville is a PITA because there aren't any lights on Renaissance to make the left out of the lot any easier and the entrance on Fayetteville backs up too quick. Same with the Super Target on Renaissance. The main entrance brings you right past the front of the store, which gives you the same problems as the WalMart in Morrisville.

I don't hate Wal-Mart and I don't hate traffic. I just hate when little to no thought goes into things like these. With just a little but of planning, things could work so much easier. That's all I'm saying.

Mike

Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
What I would like to see is some real thought put into the access to a shopping plaza, something that seems to get less and less attention with every plaza built. None are much better than the other, but as I sit here and think about all Wal-Marts within reasonable driving distance to my house (Woodcroft), ALL of them are a serious PITA to get into and out of. The best would be the new one in Morrsiville, but as I mentioned, they bring everyone past the front of the store where it bottlenecks because of pedestrians. Stupid.

If they can design the plaza and develop the roads so that it doesn't become a mess, I would welcome a WalMart (and especially a Sam's, though a Costco would be better IMO). It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do, but I don't have high hopes gieven the precedence set by the other plazas in SW Durham.

Just look at the Best Buy lot across the street. It's a GREAT shopping plaza, but they make it such a pain to get into and out of by not allowing S/B Fayetteville St to turn left down the main access road that runs between Best Buy and REI. Just stupid, IMO. Southpoint Mall isn't much better. It's easy enough to get into, but to get out going North on Fayetteville is a PITA because there aren't any lights on Renaissance to make the left out of the lot any easier and the entrance on Fayetteville backs up too quick. Same with the Super Target on Renaissance. The main entrance brings you right past the front of the store, which gives you the same problems as the WalMart in Morrisville.

I don't hate Wal-Mart and I don't hate traffic. I just hate when little to no thought goes into things like these. With just a little but of planning, things could work so much easier. That's all I'm saying.

Mike
Well, I think there is a lot of planning that goes into these things, it's just that the people planning them are thinking about more issues than just what you are thinking about. Shopping centers are not designed to necessarily have the easiest into/out of access. Most of it is in regard to keeping the flow of traffic at a maximum on the main thoroughfares.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:40 PM

140 posts, read 440,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

Mike
And I'll add to that -- make the shopping centers pedestrian/bike friendly. Folks that want to walk to the shopping plazas or even between them shouldn't need to take their lives in their hands to do it. Rennaissance isn't horrible but Southpoint is.

And I agree that a light is needed to make that left onto Rennaissance Parkway from the mall. I can never understand why that wasn't done in the first place. It is crazy for a place that large to only have one high volume exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary