Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,461 times

Advertisements

If so, you can kiss goodbye any "upscale" vibe that area has.

Investor moves on acres near Southpoint - Durham County - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/durham/story/1444584.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 01:11 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Eww!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,741 times
Yeah, I heard that also... Here are some other articles if interested:

Wal-Mart coming to Southpoint? - Triangulator - Indy Week Blogs (http://www.indyweekblogs.com/triangulator/2009/03/12/wal-mart-coming-to-southpoint/ - broken link)

Bull City Rising: Kentington Heights back in play for real estate assembly -- and perhaps a Wal-Mart? (http://www.bullcityrising.com/2009/03/kentington-heights-back-in-play-for-real-estate-assembly-and-perhaps-a-walmart.html - broken link)

Always Low Prices, Always!
Matt

Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,317 times
What an awful thing to pop up in the best part of Durham. I like buying things cheap and all, but I wouldn't want that store near me. I would prefer to drive to it. WalMarts tend to bring out the worst characters in an area or brings them to it. Southpoint is without a doubt the shining star of Durham. I hope this doesn't lessen the shine.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:10 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Hopefully it'll be a Super Walmart if they build one.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
What an awful thing to pop up in the best part of Durham. I like buying things cheap and all, but I wouldn't want that store near me. I would prefer to drive to it. WalMarts tend to bring out the worst characters in an area or brings them to it.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:49 PM

184 posts, read 802,208 times
Default Morrisville Walmart open?

Did this store open yet? I can't see the need for two Super Walmart stores in such close proximity to each other...

Old 03-16-2009, 08:21 PM

447 posts, read 1,718,573 times
Heh, I love the snobs! They don't hate Walmart because of the bad business practices, the neighborhood they want to tear down or the environmental impact, but because it attracts the "bad people".

While WalMart is the shopping place of last resort for me, it serves a purpose that some places need. The WalMart on 15-501 serves a lot of college kids, but those are just riff raff, no one you would want around. The high price homes and apartments in it suck.

The one by Briar Creek sure has killed the prices in that area. I notice moving vans heading out of that area in droves.

There are a lot of reasons to hate Wal-Mart but the people that shop there are not one of them. They shop there because they are busy at jobs that don't pay as much as an office job. So next time you hire someone to paint your house, mow your lawn, fix your dinner, or ring you up at McDonalds maybe you will remember these are the same people shopping at Walmart because they have no choice.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
Heh, I love the snobs! They don't hate Walmart because of the bad business practices, the neighborhood they want to tear down or the environmental impact, but because it attracts the "bad people".
You're absolutely right. There are plenty of reasons to not want a Wal-Mart in your neighborhood.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post

While WalMart is the shopping place of last resort for me, it serves a purpose that some places need. The WalMart on 15-501 serves a lot of college kids, but those are just riff raff, no one you would want around. The high price homes and apartments in it suck.

The one by Briar Creek sure has killed the prices in that area. I notice moving vans heading out of that area in droves.

There are a lot of reasons to hate Wal-Mart but the people that shop there are not one of them. They shop there because they are busy at jobs that don't pay as much as an office job. So next time you hire someone to paint your house, mow your lawn, fix your dinner, or ring you up at McDonalds maybe you will remember these are the same people shopping at Walmart because they have no choice.
Oh, spare me the PC crap! Let's deal with reality and most everyone has the same opinion of what type of crowd Walmarts bring in compared to other stores. Why do you think almost every neighborhood near a proposed Walmart fights against it so much? It's not because of their business model, but rather something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary