Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:04 PM

519 posts, read 982,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
You are aware that people actually work in Cary. There is this tiny company called SAS that employees more than 2 people. There are other companies that exist in Cary and on top of that, parts of Cary just about abut RTP. Most People that live in Raleigh and Durham also DRIVE to RTP. People are employed all throughout the Triangle, not just RTP. It is actually possible to live in the town you work in and have it not be a city. For those that do travel to the city or RTP for work, they are making improvements in the road system to help this out. The widening of Davis, the construction of the WWP that should "hopefully" start this summer and more. And again, there are many people that are more than happy to drive 20 to 50 minutes in order to live AWAY from the city and IN the country. Not everyone has their first priority to live within walking distance of work.
Being from a hometown where you were required to drive to anywhere you wanted to go, I much like the fact that I can walk to work or the store. Sure, I may still have to drive to go to Target, but it takes 10 minutes, not 45.

And in the morning, I still hear birds chirping, not the traffic as I try to beat rush hour to get to work. I can enjoy breakfast and the morning news instead of eating in my car as I listen to the news on the radio.

So enjoy sitting in your car, inching by. I'll be using that same time walking around the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:05 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
You act like Cary is in the middle of BFE. I, for one, have lived in a town where it took 1 hour to get to a mall. Actually, when my fiancee and I lived in that neck of the woods, it was a 45-minute drive to the LOCAL hospital. Imagine driving in the car (that would be her) as your significant other (that would be me) riles in pain and agony, making his peace with God, as he tries to figure out what is going on in his body.

Enjoy your commute. Live where you want to live. I have never said you shouldn't live in Cary. What concerns me, other than sprawl, is that people start living in suburbs of suburbs and that the community hasn't had time to build the other necessary infrastructure, such as police & fire departments and hospitals. People tend to think in a narrow view about where they want a home, their vicinity to work, and closeness to schools. They don't think "what if."

I live in Cary now and it only takes 12 to 15 minutes to get to my employer in RTP. We currently can walk or bike ride to just about everything we need. We have no long drive times to anything from where we live in Cary. Our Cary location has actually turned out much more central to everything we enjoy than our last location in the city of Durham. Suburb does not mean no man's land. City folk just don't get that. Now there are other people who prefer a much more remote country location. I can completely understand that. I find a lot appealing about that. To get that, you compromise with a longer commute, say from parts of Chatham County, Apex, Holly Springs or Fuquay. I have no problem with anyone wanting that. I see a big appeal to that type of living, given that even in those locations there is a lot of what people need on a daily basis. Believe me, people move out to the country for more reasons that just the house itself. Again, city folk just don't get it and probably never will.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You missed the point (as usual). I don't dispute people have varying wants and desires. I actually live in the burbs too but enjoy downtown Raleigh immensely. Not everyone who lives in the burbs is as narrow in perspective as you.

I am aware that there are employment opportunities in Cary. However, it is disingenuous if not outright ignorant to think that most people work within Cary. It simply isn't true. Most people who live in Cary work in RTP and thus leave Cary everyday to go to work in Durham where RTP is located.

I was simply correcting you your inaccurate statement. Most people need to leave Cary every weekday to go to work.

In closing, I wish you well in your future endeavors and hope you look back on your city-data days fondly. I like to think I've taught you a thing or two about Cary. Actually, I'm positive I have.

You are welcome. Now goodbye.

* hits ignore button *
  1. I never said that everyone who lives in Cary works in Cary. I was correcting your inaccurate statement that everyone who lives in Cary leaves Cary.
  2. Sorry, but you have not taught me anything about Cary. People that are ignorant to what Cary offers are not in a position to teach people already in the know.
  3. It's too bad that when people figure out that they are losing a debate, they feel the need to start insulting the winner.
  4. I enjoy everything I do, every day and in every way. It's the only way to live.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I live in Cary now and it only takes 12 to 15 minutes to get to my employer in RTP. We currently can walk or bike ride to just about everything we need. We have no long drive times to anything from where we live in Cary. Our Cary location has actually turned out much more central to everything we enjoy than our last location in the city of Durham. Suburb does not mean no man's land. City folk just don't get that. Now there are other people who prefer a much more remote country location. I can completely understand that. I find a lot appealing about that. To get that, you compromise with a longer commute, say from parts of Chatham County, Apex, Holly Springs or Fuquay. I have no problem with anyone wanting that. I see a big appeal to that type of living, given that even in those locations there is a lot of what people need on a daily basis. Believe me, people move out to the country for more reasons that just the house itself. Again, city folk just don't get it and probably never will.
I grew up being country folk. You have obviously missed me talking about being from a town of 400 people.

It's interesting to me that you put all of city folk into one cluster. Have you ever asked the people who live in cities why they like living where they do? You look down on them with disdain (if you don't actually do this, it sure seems like it with all of your bantering) and it is quite arrogant. No, we city folk get it quite well. Maybe if you asked us city folk why we chose to live where we do, you would understand us better, instead of dismissing us into being just simple ignorant city folk.

My fiancee and I chose to live in Raleigh for the sheer reason that we hated being so far away from everything. Frankly, we wanted to move much earlier than we did, but I had to finish school. I was a country folk because that is where my parents chose to live and raise their boys, yet we sons have both now moved to different capital cities.

But back to my first point, this sprawl is what concerns me. People can live wherever they want, but we have to make sure that the environment is minimally affected. We don't need people getting in accidents as they try to swerve away from wildlife.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I grew up being country folk. You have obviously missed me talking about being from a town of 400 people.

It's interesting to me that you put all of city folk into one cluster. Have you ever asked the people who live in cities why they like living where they do? You look down on them with disdain (if you don't actually do this, it sure seems like it with all of your bantering) and it is quite arrogant. No, we city folk get it quite well. Maybe if you asked us city folk why we chose to live where we do, you would understand us better, instead of dismissing us into being just simple ignorant city folk.

My fiancee and I chose to live in Raleigh for the sheer reason that we hated being so far away from everything. Frankly, we wanted to move much earlier than we did, but I had to finish school. I was a country folk because that is where my parents chose to live and raise their boys, yet we sons have both now moved to different capital cities.

But back to my first point, this sprawl is what concerns me. People can live wherever they want, but we have to make sure that the environment is minimally affected. We don't need people getting in accidents as they try to swerve away from wildlife.
I do not need to ask city folk why they live where they do. I already know and I am not giving them a hard time for doing so. Everyone should live where and how they want to. I am thrilled for all city folk that live there because they "want" to and because they "enjoy" it. Unfortunately, many city folk look down on us country folk like we are stupid for not wanting to live in a city. I am pure country, to the bone. I enjoy living in Cary because of it's beauty, it's phenomenal location to everything we enjoy, the low taxes, and the unbelievable convenience. There is no place in the Triangle that has a better location to what "we" enjoy than our location in Cary. That being said, it still ain't real country and I can understand that for many pure country overrides convenience. That's my point. It is not up to anyone to tell anyone else where they can live for any reason...not because of fuel, pollution or environment and this is coming from a tree hugger himself. I love nature and I want it protected. There are ways to do that without forcing everyone to live urban style.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I do not need to ask city folk why they live where they do. I already know and I am not giving them a hard time for doing so. Everyone should live where and how they want to. I am thrilled for all city folk that live there because they "want" to and because they "enjoy" it. Unfortunately, many city folk look down on us country folk like we are stupid for not wanting to live in a city. I am pure country, to the bone. I enjoy living in Cary because of it's beauty, it's phenomenal location to everything we enjoy, the low taxes, and the unbelievable convenience. There is no place in the Triangle that has a better location to what "we" enjoy than our location in Cary. That being said, it still ain't real country and I can understand that for many pure country overrides convenience. That's my point. It is not up to anyone to tell anyone else where they can live for any reason...not because of fuel, pollution or environment and this is coming from a tree hugger himself. I love nature and I want it protected. There are ways to do that without forcing everyone to live urban style.
You completely missed my point. You keep thinking I am advocating the idea of telling people where they can and cannot live. I am only advocating smart growth.

And I have never heard any "city folk" talk down about "country folk." Now maybe they are talking down to that specific person, but I have never heard a city person tell a country person they are any less BECAUSE they live in the country. But since you have supposedly talked to the majority (hence the word "many" that you used) of city folk, you obviously know how the "many" of us feel about country folk.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You missed the point (as usual). I don't dispute people have varying wants and desires. I actually live in the burbs too but enjoy downtown Raleigh immensely. Not everyone who lives in the burbs is as narrow in perspective as you.

I am aware that there are employment opportunities in Cary. However, it is disingenuous if not outright ignorant to think that most people work within Cary. It simply isn't true. Most people who live in Cary work in RTP and thus leave Cary everyday to go to work in Durham where RTP is located.

I was simply correcting you your inaccurate statement. Most people need to leave Cary every weekday to go to work.

In closing, I wish you well in your future endeavors and hope you look back on your city-data days fondly. I like to think I've taught you a thing or two about Cary. Actually, I'm positive I have.

You are welcome. Now goodbye.

* hits ignore button *
"must spread some reputation around"..darnit!

edit...I also just noticed the "Cary-Raleigh" metro area reference.....really?

Last edited by just_sayin'; 04-15-2009 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,168,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
"must spread some reputation around"..darnit!
I'll do it!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:15 AM

190 posts, read 1,075,768 times
Quote:
Being from a hometown where you were required to drive to anywhere you wanted to go, I much like the fact that I can walk to work or the store. Sure, I may still have to drive to go to Target, but it takes 10 minutes, not 45.

And in the morning, I still hear birds chirping, not the traffic as I try to beat rush hour to get to work. I can enjoy breakfast and the morning news instead of eating in my car as I listen to the news on the radio.

So enjoy sitting in your car, inching by. I'll be using that same time walking around the park.
Hmmm.... Cary must be closer to Durham than I thought.... I hear birds chirping at my house TOO!!!! I wonder if it they are same birds??? oh, and it only takes me 10 minutes to get to work from my 'ghetto', and I still love where I live ... peace!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
**wrong thread**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary