Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,643 times

Advertisements

Well, if you like BBQ you have a lot of options open. You'll have to decide if you like pork butt - the shoulder, typically pulled (shredded), or the whole pig - chopped up. Then you need to pick a sauce. But be careful, your sauce of choice says more about your character than which college hoops team you pull for. There's the vinegar based, tomato based, and mustard based. Oh yeah, do you like heavy smoke flavor? Hickory, or a blend of hickory and oak. Maybe just oak. If you say mesquite, when you drive down here, don't stop - just keep going 'til you reach Texas. And stay there.

What it boils down to is . . . you have to try them all to see what you like. Most places here are good. Some better than others. I haven't tried The Pit, but they have a fancy website (-1 point), serve appetizers (-1), and charge $8 for a kid's hotdog (-1). But the 'cue may be good - so give it a shot.

I like The Backyard BBQ Pit in Durham on the 55. Crappy website (+1). I also like Ole Time BBQ in Raleigh (west side, close to Cary). Crappy Website (+1), and they're good people (priceless).

The only place I wouldn't recommend is Danny's - just not to my liking. At all.

Enjoy your trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 AM

19 posts, read 55,715 times
My company had our Holiday party at the Pit this past Dec. It was basically buffet style so I had the chance to try lots of different things. I found it to be very good. I had chopped pork, a chopped turkey que (much better than expected) and lots of sides. All excellent and the banana puddin' was very good as well.

I'm a huge fan of eastern-style que and always try to hit Wilbur's (Goldsboro) when I'm on the way to the coast. The Pit is certainly fancier than any que place I've ever seen, but the food didn't disappoint. Enjoy!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,908 times
I really liked the pit when we had it at the cuegrass. I would imagine dining in is even better.

It was just ranked one of the 50 best new places to eat.
50 Best New U.S. Restaurants | The Pit | Travel + Leisure

Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 AM

72 posts, read 283,325 times
How are the ribs there?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:21 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,390 times
Bobby Flay (of Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Food Network) challenged Ed (The Pit) to a rib throwdown in March of this year. The show will air in May....so we'll have to wait until then to see who won.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:06 AM

147 posts, read 427,514 times
The Pit has BBQ that is great, the ribs are pretty darn good, the brisket and chicken are equally as good. The price is a little high for a traditional BBQ joint, but it pays for the decor. The have a great wine list, which is not common in a BBQ joint. I rate the place high because it lets you have that nice diner out feel and still enjoy local comfort food. But to truely experience BBQ you need to find a little hole in the wall place and enjoy it the way it has always been served. Coopers BBQ in downtown Raleigh, Holy Smokes at Tryon Rd and 401 intersection, Olde Time BBQ in Cary...these are true BBQ spots. Western NC BBQ will have a tomato base sauce that is sweeter, Eastern BBQ is typically vinegar based. I'm from east coast so vinegar is my bag baby!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:21 AM

246 posts, read 627,072 times
The Pit has wonderful food but I wanted the true Eastern BBQ experience, I would find myself a little hole in the wall place.

But with all that said, I freakin love the Pit

Old 04-21-2009, 12:06 PM

149 posts, read 615,489 times
I haven't been there, but from what I read, it sounds like a high class version of the Backyard BBQ Pit in Durham. I might try the Pit one Sunday to see what it's like.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:30 PM

502 posts, read 1,391,740 times
Thanks everyone for your input! We will probably go to The Pit first, and try others mentioned later... (writing them down) This is making me hungry!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
What it boils down to is . . . you have to try them all to see what you like. Most places here are good. Some better than others. I haven't tried The Pit, but they have a fancy website (-1 point), serve appetizers (-1), and charge $8 for a kid's hotdog (-1). But the 'cue may be good - so give it a shot.

I like The Backyard BBQ Pit in Durham on the 55. Crappy website (+1). I also like Ole Time BBQ in Raleigh (west side, close to Cary). Crappy Website (+1), and they're good people (priceless).

The only place I wouldn't recommend is Danny's - just not to my liking. At all.

Enjoy your trip.
This post is hilarious and I give it a +1. I do have to say I have never been to the pit but am interested to go, my wife and I just haven't had the chance to make it downtown for a visit but I know Ed Mitchel is a master BBQ so I expect we'll like it.

We are used to the hole in the wall Eastern style chains, I was born in and grew up in Raleigh, attended college at ECU. So of course my favorite all time is B's back in Greenville. I have found that Backyard BBQ in Durham and Ole Time are acceptable stand-ins. I think the OP would be better to start-off at a quasi eastern style BBQ joint like the pit then to make a 1.15 hour drive to Greenville for B's and likely feel disappointed.

I like Danny's, but not for their BBQ. Great family run establishment, the smoked meats are pretty good, reasonably priced, great deserts, and very quick service.
PS, Backyard in Durham gets a +2 for dirty walls with writing all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary