Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,780 times

Advertisements

I teach middle school in Durham, and I would be comfortable sending my child to Carrington, Brogden, Rogers Herr or DSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,698,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurhamTeacher View Post
I was a teacher at Githens Middle School for awhile, and I would not send my children there. Carrington has the best reputation among teachers and community members, and I think it is safer. Githens has significant gang issues, a large teacher turnover (about 80 percent over the past three years,) and a large proportion of students with behavioral issues. They lose excellent teachers year after year because teachers there are treated quite badly by administrators and working in a rough, stressful environment. I was fortunate to be offered another job in Orange County in the middle of the school year, and left at that time. That is how desperate teachers are to leave.

If it continues to fail, I think (and hope) that the entire administration will be replaced by the state. For the safety and success of their students and teachers, it needs to be.
How long ago were you teaching there? I know Dr. Harris, and several other administrators, and can't see them treating anyone badly.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:33 PM
9/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
How long ago were you teaching there? I know Dr. Harris, and several other administrators, and can't see them treating anyone badly.
When was Dr. Harris at Githens? I do have to admit that I had some less than positive interactions with Mr. Tilley when I was interviewing for jobs a couple of years back (one of the reasons I did not choose a position there).

Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,698,472 times
Dr. Harris is the new superintendent for Durham County Schools.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 PM
9/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
Dr. Harris is the new superintendent for Durham County Schools.
I am well aware of that. However, when DURHAMTEACHER said that s/he was not treated well by the administrators at Githens, you said that you didn't think that Dr. Harris would behave that way. I assumed you were saying that Dr. Harris was at Githens.

If you were not saying that, I am not sure what Dr. Harris' nature (every time I have met him, he seemed friendly) has to do with the administration at Githens over the years.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 27,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
When was Dr. Harris at Githens? I do have to admit that I had some less than positive interactions with Mr. Tilley when I was interviewing for jobs a couple of years back (one of the reasons I did not choose a position there).
I left just as Harris was entering office. Yes, it was/is Tilley and his policies that are running off teachers. It is a <b>very </b> intimidating environment in which to work; with the job market as it is (good,) few people find it sensible to stick around.

I agree with you on the schools, as I completely forgot about Rogers-Herr! A friend of mine from Githens now works there and loves it. I was offered a job at Brogdon and got a great vibe from the place, but am satisfied with my current position. We do hope to someday send out kids to Durham schools, but at this time will be paying to send them out of district. It is worth it to us.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:52 AM

5 posts, read 27,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
When was Dr. Harris at Githens?
Harris was not at Githens, to my knowledge. When I mentioned "administrators," I meant school-based. The central office administrators, in my experiences, were quite nice to deal with.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:08 PM

60 posts, read 221,497 times
mrburns,

My hubby (also a Michigander) and I relocated to Durham, and I work at DUMC. We rent a house in the Watts-Hillandale neighborhood - super close and very safe (easy walk to work). Once we got to know the area better, we started looking for houses. It was really helpful to us to rent for a few months and explore the areas around here. There are some great areas, especially north and west in the city. Northgate and Colony Heights are some good areas. Other posters may have a few more suggestions.

As far as schools go, I've heard great reports about the NC School for Math and Science and several high schools have been ranked in national polls. There are definately some good options. And since my hubby is about to finish up his teaching degree, this is something we were interested in, too.

Resale values are hard to predict, with the market as volatile as it is. That said, however, RTP is growing every year; as more R & D companies move in, more employees move in and they need places to live. Our strategy was to find a solid home already in liveable condition but with potential and make improvements as we can. Land is always a good investment because it's a finite resource.

TO be honest with you, I was nervous about moving to Durham because of the stories, but I figured we'd rent and get out of the city ASAP. But, as I've gotten to know the area, there a places I really like and places I don't. So, I've grown more comfortable with the city and it's actually a very cool place to live - lots of resources, cultural activities, things to see and do.

Good luck with the move and welcome!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:14 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,065,092 times
Hilville, I love your neighborhood! Lots of wonderful homes in that part of Durham. We chose to buy in southern Durham to be closer to by husband's job, but I think I would have been happy in your neighborhood, too.

It's been more than 4 months since Mr. Burns has posted on this website. I wonder what he decided to do. If you're lurking out there, Mr. Burns, please give us an up-date!

Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 PM
9/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilville View Post
mrburns,

As far as schools go, I've heard great reports about the NC School for Math and Science and several high schools have been ranked in national polls. There are definately some good options. And since my hubby is about to finish up his teaching degree, this is something we were interested in, too.
Good luck with the move and welcome!
The school of Science and Math is an excellent school, just be aware that it can be very difficult to get in to, both as a student and as a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary