Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 AM

648 posts, read 2,971,322 times

Advertisements

I used Google maps' new tool to highlight the areas I've gathered to have the highest rate of violent crime. Locals, please correct/add to these if need be

Raleigh
Durham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 10:32 AM

212 posts, read 856,588 times
in Raleigh, in addition to SE Ral, there's that stretch along Capital Blvd (East Raleigh) extending to Poole Rd area...pretty run down.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:48 AM

823 posts, read 3,910,401 times
The June crime density map of Raleigh in June, 2006 can be found at http://www.newsobserver.com/content/news/crime_safety/story_graphics/20070213_robberies.pdf (broken link).

The N&O story about the police mapping, http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/543423.html (broken link).

Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 AM

238 posts, read 226,280 times
Cooper and Alice,

Those were very helpful links. Especially thanks for highlighting neighborhoods and specific streets that are probably best to avoid. I'm sure this thread, while "controversial" is actually going to be very helpful to other newbies.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,190,667 times
I don't have the time to go through a block by block analysis of the shaded area you have over parts of downtown Raleigh (RaleighRob where are you!?), but I think it is a bit too broad in general and covers some areas that I think are quite nice. I frequent a lot of the bars in restaurants along Fayetteville Street and Moore Square and have never witnessed a crime nor do I think these areas are not safe. Some of the most luxurious and expensive condos in downtown raleigh (the RBC Plaza) are being built on Fayetteville Street which is an area you have shaded as high crime. I am not going to argue about crime statistics as I don't follow them, but I caution a rush to judgement as I hardly see that as an area to avoid. It is actually quite a nice area. Back this past summer over 25,000 people showed up to celebrate the grand re-opening of the fayetteville street. It was a great time! It would be a shame if people avoided going to some of these downtown areas.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 AM

Thanks, NRG for pointing out that the immediate downtown area is pretty safe. Any opinions on the areas between the shaded areas in Raleigh?

EDIT: the mapping thing is letting me edit these areas on the map! Any updates like NRG added are welcome. I'll try to keep up...

Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,882,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
I'm sure this thread, while "controversial" is actually going to be very helpful to other newbies.
I'm not so sure this thread will be all that helpful to newbies. I think you have different views regarding crime than most people who visit the board. The below posts you made lead me to this conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Not all of Durham is dangerous. Most of the crime is relegated to a small area of town.
Quote:
I just figure that in troubled times, riots, etc...all bets are off. I'd rather have my husband way out of the line of fire, as it were.
I don't think most people worry about riots in Durham. My parents live in Durham and I don't loose much sleep worrying about the next riot.

Quote:
I would be concerned that high crime would put a drain on county funds and emergency services, etc. That's why I wouldn't live in Durham county
As others have pointed out - this doesn't seem very likely.

Quote:
But I thought that Durham wasn't really the safest area. I am concerned about my husband working in the equivalent of DC area downtown.
Comparing Durham crime to DC is pretty laughable. A quick Google for crime stats for these two locations will prove that.

I'm just concerned a thread like this is going to give new readers the wrong impression of Durham and the Triangle in general. It really isn't a war zone. I grew up in Durham and once I out grew my kevlar onesie - my parents didn't feel the need to buy me another one.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 AM

141 posts, read 673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
Holly Marshall,
I have lived higher crime areas (in Baltimore City and NYC and other places). I actually think these questions are more likely to come from soemone who has not lived in places like that...I think living in higher crime areas at some point in your life, you get a better perspective on what is and is not a threat. Otherwise, you sit in a vanilla world listening to the local news getting freaked out that everyone is running around trying to kill each other.
I think this is accurate. I grew up in Manhattan, and never really feared for my life, despite the fact that there were crime ridden areas less than a mile away from where I lived. Both my fiance and I are getting our PhD's at Duke, so, after renting for a year, we decided to purchase a home. Neither of us wanted a house, so we opted for a condo in Downtown Durham. For the price, we could have purchased a nice home in Cary or Chapel Hill (we might very well have moved there, but the commute to class was something we couldn't tolerate).

This area borders East Durham, but we don't feel that it is exactly a "war-zone." Before giving a down-payment, we drove through the area multiple times, at different times, both day and night, walked around by ourselves, etc - I never really felt at risk. We are banking on the fact that Downtown Durham is going to improve with all the real estate development and investment, but as it is presently, it doesn't seem that bad. Of all things, I won't be losing sleep at night worrying if someone is going to break into my building and murder me. Now, we haven't moved in yet since our building is currently undergoing renovations, so my perception of the Downtown area might change, but I feel pretty confident that it will be a pleasant experience, especially once the revitalization is complete.

Basically, I couldn't see myself avoiding a particular county merely due to violent localized crime, as there is crime (violent and otherwise) almost anywhere. I certainly don't think Durham is at the point where the crime is draining county resources - we aren't exactly in Baghdad. Maybe if I had children I would change my tune, but I still would not completely exclude Durham.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM

959 posts, read 4,482,910 times
I'm so disappointed, the google map thing isn't working for me. The links take me to some fact pages about the cities. It was interesting to compare crime in Durham and Raleigh. Raleigh sure has a lot of it - why isn't Raleigh crime brought up more often?

Old 05-08-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
It was interesting to compare crime in Durham and Raleigh. Raleigh sure has a lot of it - why isn't Raleigh crime brought up more often?
Found an article (http://www.newsobserver.com/576/story/391097.html - broken link) from last year which sheds light on your question.

"Durham's 37 murders in 2005 gave it the highest homicide rate, 18.9 per 100,000 population, of any North Carolina city. ...I should point out, as Durhamites do, that overall crime is down in Durham. But murders were up in 2005, and it was the second consecutive year that Durham had the dubious distinction of being North Carolina's murder capital."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary