Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 01:37 PM

9 posts, read 53,501 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Raleigh this summer from Virginia. I am 25 and I want to live downtown, close to restaurants and entertainment, but I dont want to live in the middle of the college crowd. All I need is a 1br place.

I love NCSU, but I want somewhere safe with more of a mix of people. I really want to find someplace with character and charm. I love historic buildings. Oh, and I also dont want to pay too much for rent.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have spent some time in the city and driven by Grosvenor Garden, Boylan Apts. and Cameron Court. They look great, but Im afraid they may be to college-y.

Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 01:24 PM

9 posts, read 53,501 times
Also what about The Raleigh Apartments?

Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
I'm looking for a similar living situation, except my caveat is that I have to have W/D connections in the apartment, and I'm looking for a 2br. I've been here for a year now, in a big box apartment in NW Raleigh, and the mass produced places are just not very well built. I am used to living in historic and older buildings with wood floors, and the noise level in my current apartment with carpet is just not acceptable. I need to give notice on my current lease next week, so I'm going to be frantically driving around looking for "For Rent" signs, which is very time consuming and frustrating.

It looks like Raleigh Apts, Boylan Apts, Cameron Apts, St. Mary's Apts, Grosvenor Gardens, etc. do not offer w/d hookups, but if that wasn't a concern for me, I'd definitely check them out. There are also some cottage type places that look interesting. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Cottages on Grant or Country Club Homes Apartments. I don't think Country Club Homes Apartments rents to undergrads, so that is one of the reasons I am considering them.

I have checked out apartmentratings.com for a lot of places in Raleigh, but I don't really trust that site very much, because every single place has massive numbers of negative reviews that seem very biased (probably because the people were kicked out and have a grudge). Not every place can be that bad! And I know for a fact that there are just a lot of not so great renters out there (quite a few are my neighbors!), so I'm sure people get lease violations a lot when noise and leaving your trash all over the place is not tolerated.

Sorry for the rant, this is just something that I am currently dealing with, so all these factors have come bubbling to the surface about large apartment complex living. If I find a nice 1br in my quest, I'll be sure let you know about it.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:51 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
And one more thing: I don't know how much feedback you'll get on this forum, since most people are not renting or looking to rent. I tried the housing forum on craigslist, but it was pretty dead and also had more of an ownership focus rather than renting. I wish there was a forum on the apartment ratings site, that would be very helpful!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 AM

38 posts, read 145,522 times
Smile Non-Student Apartments in W. Raleigh or Cary areas?

Anyone have anything to add? My family and I are locating from outside the area and find it difficult to commit to an apartment community without knowing anything about the neighborhood.

My husband wil be working at NCSU - Centennial Campus. We would prefer living in an apartment complex that caters to a more mature crowd (i.e., quiet, respectful, etc.). Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary