Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I've lost the link but the Raleigh area recently was #72 (ish) of 100 on water quality nationwide. In other words not very good.

Of course it depends on your frame of reference, my buddy lives in China and has emailed images of orange colored rivers that rice grows in. Then they sell that rice here.

Yum. Made in China...
Orange as in clay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:26 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,196 times
My friend's DH was rushed to the hospital recently for kidney stones. The Dr. in attendance told them he see five cases a day in the Triangle. While in NY, he saw about five a month. He said they were looking into the high amounts of calcium in the water.

My DH is now on bottled water.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:27 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Orange as in clay?
Orange as in industrial waste...neon orange.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
My friend's DH was rushed to the hospital recently for kidney stones. The Dr. in attendance told them he see five cases a day in the Triangle. While in NY, he saw about five a month. He said they were looking into the high amounts of calcium in the water.

My DH is now on bottled water.

It isn't the water. It's all the Iced Tea people drink. That and all the soda, pop, coke, or whatever you like to call it.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:29 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
It isn't the water. It's all the Iced Tea people drink. That and all the soda, pop, coke, or whatever you like to call it.
Agreed. Ca in my water is VERY low. Here is the water report that I received from an independent company (sorry for the formatting). I was only interested in the dissolved mineral test. There are more comprehensive tests available.

pH 7.6
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 151
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.25
Cations / Anions, me/L 2.6 / 2.1

Sodium, Na 20 ppm
Potassium, K 2 ppm
Calcium, Ca 28 ppm
Magnesium, Mg 3 ppm
Total Hardness, CaCO3 83 ppm
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.8 ppm (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 3 ppm
Chloride, Cl 6 ppm
Carbonate, CO3 < 1 ppm
Bicarbonate, HCO3 101 ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 83 ppm

Old 04-09-2010, 09:27 PM

12 posts, read 37,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My well water is fairly soft, and a good quality overall. I had it tested by an independent lab...
How much did this test cost?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2010, 04:15 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir walter wannabe View Post
How much did this test cost?

Thanks
Only $16.50 for a "household mineral" test.

Ward Laboratories, Agricultural Testing, Consulting, Kearney, Nebraska

Old 04-10-2010, 06:01 AM

492 posts, read 1,151,891 times
IMO, Raleigh water is very good. My dh has had kidney stones before when we lived in IL. We've been here since 1990 and he's not had one since and drinks gallons of water every day. We have a 5yr old spa, was afraid the water maintenance would be difficult to control...its the easiest thing we've done. Takes bare minimum of chems to keep pH and alkaline just right for weeks. Tub is 5yo and no plumbing or pipe problems. My 3 kids are over 18, grew up here and never had a cavity, any of them. We use a Brita pitcher to fill our coffee maker, the rest of our water is straight from the tap.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:58 AM

305 posts, read 767,914 times
Generally soft in this area of the state. Could vary if you're on well water. I believe as you get up more toward the mountains you get into harder water. At the beach it's soft, but used to be horrible tasting when I was a kid. It's much better now, but many North Carolinians will always bring bottled water to the beach just out of years of habit, or only drink soft drinks! I have never in my life been acquainted with anyone in NC who used a water softener. That, of course, is not to say it doesn't happen as a PP mentioned, but I don't think it's common at all.

CHtransplant is correct that many municipalities do get their water from the same sources, but not Chapel Hill. We have some of the best water in the area and it is from smaller protected reservoirs that the other towns don't tap, the Cane Creek reservoir and University Lake.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:55 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,894 times
I don't know anyone with a softener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary