Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:42 AM

74 posts, read 203,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Wake Forest has TONS of young families. So much so that I doubt singles would really feel comfortable here but professionals with young children love it.
Completely agree. As a "single" it's different - very family-oriented community. But that's why I have a car - I can go places :-)

I like Wake Forest and would encourage - people to move here. I like the growth - reminds me of up north. We just need a Chipotle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
There was a Carvel in teh Factory when we moved here 4 years back, but teh cones were almost $3 each... fuggedaboutit! They went out. there is an independent ice cream place there.
There are Friendly's qaround- ther eis one in Myrtle Beach. I took my 8 year old daughter there in January- I was going on & on about how wonderful it is & how glad I was to be at a Friendly's. Seriously, it was just ok, she didn't understand why I love it so much. Pure nostalgia!
Over these 4 years we have found great places to go down here and of course my daughter will be yearning for these places when she goes off to college I'm sure!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:38 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
There was a Carvel in teh Factory when we moved here 4 years back, but teh cones were almost $3 each... fuggedaboutit! They went out. there is an independent ice cream place there.
There are Friendly's qaround- ther eis one in Myrtle Beach. I took my 8 year old daughter there in January- I was going on & on about how wonderful it is & how glad I was to be at a Friendly's. Seriously, it was just ok, she didn't understand why I love it so much. Pure nostalgia!
Over these 4 years we have found great places to go down here and of course my daughter will be yearning for these places when she goes off to college I'm sure!

fuggedaboutit! Maybe better stated: fudgeapecanaboutit!

Its funny you should say that about Friendly's. We have noticed a difference in them since we are back in NY too! Not the Friendly's we remember.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:42 PM

98 posts, read 178,952 times
VickiR -

can you define the area you consider the wrong side of the tracks? Please feel free to PM me so as not to offend anybody.

Thank you!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sHome? View Post
VickiR -

can you define the area you consider the wrong side of the tracks? Please feel free to PM me so as not to offend anybody.

Thank you!

I know....I know....

If your right handed its the left side of the tracks.

If your left handed its the right side of the tracks.

...and if your in a year round school program its when your 'tracked' out!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 15,916 times
We moved to the Rolesville side of Wake Forest last June and Love it (originally from NE Ohio)! New home building had slowed for a bit but is now picking up again. We have the option of traveling down Capitol Blvd. or 401 to go into the Mall or wholesale clubs, which allows us to pick and choose what kind of traffic to deal with. On weekdays, 401 has become crowded but once it is made into a 4 lane Hwy that should make it better for a while. Crime is not an issue if you remain smart and not let your guard down, but that's the way it is most places, even where in the very rural town we came from origianlly. Being close to downtown Raleigh and it's museums, Falls/Mayo/Hyco Lakes and recreation areas as well as the Ocean is a real plus.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:07 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times
Actually, there was very little crime here until the surge of people began. There was not much traffic either, so getting to Raleigh on Capital was a breeze. Now, it's busy just about any time of day, there are more stoplights going in and it's getting to the point where I'd almost rather stay home. We moved here to be in a small, charming town, and were were for a while. Now, not so much. For anyone contemplating a move here, know that Wake Forest is well on its way to being an edge city to Raleigh. People looking for small town charm would do well to look elsewhere.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:45 PM

18 posts, read 91,586 times
Well, we have lived in WF for 25 yrs. We didn't move here to be in a special place. This is where our family arrived in NC in the mid-1700's and this is where the jobs were in the early 80's. We've never been a victim of even a minor crime and it seems to be almost non-existent from our experience if you live in the vast majority of neighborhoods that people would like to live in. The schools are as good as any place else in the U.S. It largely depends on the parents and kids as far as what you get out of them. Natural beauty and climate preferences are in the eye of the beholder so I can't give you a definite answer there. We love it here, but many people who move here for a job leave because they miss family, the mountains, the beach, the big city, etc. Personally, I don't think it's where you live, it's people that matter. The people that matter most to us are here so this is where we will stay if at all possible.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Friendly's for sure. But none I'm afraid at the moment. Goodberry's and DQ is all we have at the moment and a few smaller ice cream shops.
Mmmmm, Goodberry's...we visited the one in WF several times when we were trying to move to NC (we ultimately were not able to and remain in CT). You're not missing anything by having no Friendly's-we went last month and wow, it was just awful. In fact, I have not had a good Friendly's experience in several years (there are two near me). I wish we had Goodberry's here! It's better than the Rita's Water Ice places that opened here.

We looked extensively at the Wake Forest area and really liked it. Great location, country feel (for this city gal) and family area. It's very appealing.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Mmmmm, Goodberry's...we visited the one in WF several times when we were trying to move to NC (we ultimately were not able to and remain in CT). You're not missing anything by having no Friendly's-we went last month and wow, it was just awful. In fact, I have not had a good Friendly's experience in several years (there are two near me). I wish we had Goodberry's here! It's better than the Rita's Water Ice places that opened here.

We looked extensively at the Wake Forest area and really liked it. Great location, country feel (for this city gal) and family area. It's very appealing.
Sorry you could not make it down to Wake Forest maybe one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary