Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:01 PM

58 posts, read 150,165 times

Advertisements

I guess I could make money cooking good Puerto Rican/Cuban food! LOL Thanks for all the suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 03:08 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
We are having the same problem here in Charlotte. There are a few "Cuban" restaurants popping up, but if the cook is Mexican, I can tell the difference. They don't use the right spices, and last time I check, Cuban food was not spicy hot. Needless to say, I rather stick to my own carne con papas and my partner's vaca frita.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:18 PM

10 posts, read 27,831 times
I'll have to give some of these places a closer look. It's been a long time since I was able to find some decent PR food. Nothing like some nice local rellenos de papas, empanadillas de carne, and alcapurria... just like grandma used to make haha.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 PM

27 posts, read 53,623 times
Oakwood is definitely the real thing. Strange location but it's a small family run restaurant. Mom and Dad man the kitchen, daughters handle the tables. They have a good selection of Argentine wines (sometimes a real gem) without the usual rip-off mark-up.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,012 times
Went to tropical picken chicken in Wake Forest yesterday.It's excellent.Owner is Cuban,wife is Dominican,and the food is authentic.Had 1/4 chicken with sweet plantains and yellow rice/peas.Casual,plastic fork and knife type of place.Spotless clean.Highly recommended.Next I will try the cuban sandwich,with some black beans/rice on the side.Can't wait.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Havana Grill is owned by a Cuban family from Miami. I haven't been there in a while, and I'm jonesing for a croqueta preparada. I went there for lunch shortly after they opened and was happy with the items I ordered. I am not Cuban, but I'm from Miami, so my standards are pretty high.

Oakwood Cafe is also good. The menu has a variety of cultural options.

I'll have to check out Carribbean!

I'd really like to find a good Jamaican place, too. Definitely miss that from home, too.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
If you are looking for authentic Cuban food in the Triangle, you are going to be dissapointed. My wife is Cuban. I've eaten some great home-cooked Cuban food, eaten at wonderful restaurants in Miami, and not quite as good ones in NJ. There are no restaurants in this area that come anywhere close to mediocre ones found in places with a largish Cuban population.

That doesn't mean you can't find good food which claims to be Cuban, but strikes me as more of a Latin-fusion kind of meal. For good Cuban food, though, I think you will need to get your fix at home or when you travel.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 AM

222 posts, read 545,629 times
You all are making me hungry. I miss good Latin food. I'll have to try out some of these places mentioned here just for a bit of a fix. I make a pretty good rice and beans and tostones, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary