Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:58 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post

- in NC, 15 over is considered reckless driving. how that would affect an out-of-state license, i don't know.

- i'd be curious which attorneys are handling this for $200-300 total because most i've found charged around $450 (which included court costs). this was about 4-5 years ago & before the court costs increased in wake county.
I didn't know about 15 over being reckless, thanks!

As for what a lawyer charges, the ones that contacted me only gave me their fees, the court costs weren't included. I paid $250 for representation (as I said above, a reckless driving charge reduced to defective equipment). I had to pay ~$200 for my "court costs" (which was exactly what the ticket would've cost me if I just paid it) plus whatever the traffic school charged (I think it was $45 online, but I'm not sure). So, if a lawyer charges $200-300 just on fees, I'd say that's about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:37 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,624 times
welcome! hope it all worked out for you.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:05 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Fwiw, I wouldn't just pay it, at least plead no contest rather than guilty. Showing up for a PFJ (suspended sentence) would be best, especially since you're chances of getting another ticket in a state you don't live in are pretty small, or at least showing up and pleading guilty to 9 over (which your insurance company will see, may or may not raise your rates). Contacting a lawyer "in the biz" might open a couple other options and keep you from having to make a return trip. This is more about paying more money over the next three years of your life or not.
PJC is for state residents only ( I believe) it is a deferred prosecution rather than suspended sentence

Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times
Just an update: I hired one of the lawyers who sent me a letter and he had the sentence reduced to a faulty equipment charge. As far as what this means for my car insurance, that's TBD. Luckily I still think of insurance in the range of Philadelphia rates, so almost anything else seems "cheap" to me.

Thanks for all of your help on this! And yes, I'll be keeping a much closer eye on the speedometer when on I-85, regardless of what the other drivers are doing.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Just an update: I hired one of the lawyers who sent me a letter and he had the sentence reduced to a faulty equipment charge. As far as what this means for my car insurance, that's TBD.
You shouldn't see any impact to your auto insurance rates.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:56 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,170 times
Ooh, is it true that 9 over is no points? I have a ticket for 9 over that I have to go to court for in a few weeks. I did it, and I'm fine paying it, I just wanted to make sure I went to court if there were points attached to try to get it reduced. Maybe I'll just mail it in.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Ooh, is it true that 9 over is no points? I have a ticket for 9 over that I have to go to court for in a few weeks. I did it, and I'm fine paying it, I just wanted to make sure I went to court if there were points attached to try to get it reduced. Maybe I'll just mail it in.
Check the DMV handbook. If I recall correctly, all moving violations involve some points.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 AM

378 posts, read 974,341 times
Quote:
Not sure how it's handled in NC but in Michigan (where I'm from) 5+ on an expressway was a "no points" violation both for the State and insurance but... NC is a whole 'nother animal

Old 08-04-2010, 08:23 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,624 times
Quote:
as i understand it, you get points for any moving violation as to your driver's license but 9 over doesn't count as points against your insurance. but double-checking that is a good thing!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 AM

29 posts, read 82,550 times
Smile Points, insurance or motor vehicle?

This is my "dated" experience.

Motor Vehicle speeding 9 or less:

2 or 3 points, depends on the speed limit:

3 Points
Running through a stop sign
Speeding in excess of 55 miles per hour
Failing to yield right-of-way
Running through red light
No driver's license or license expired more than one year
Failure to stop for siren
Driving through safety zone
No liability insurance
Failure to report accident where such report is required
Speeding in a school zone in excess of the posted school zone speed limit

2 Points
All other moving violations
" Failure to properly restrain a child in a restraint or seat belt

Insurance points:

speeding less than 10:
Double insurance rates for 3 years, unless the insurance points committee at YOUR insurance company lets you off the hook. They don't have to but did in my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary