Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,316,239 times

Advertisements

In our haste to want information, in our hatred to interaction with other people on a live, toe-to-toe basis, in our fear of being "sold," in our highly emotional modern American manner of doing business, we forget the most reliable, intelligent, on-the-line source of real estate information is the burned shoe leather REALTOR.

Belly-to-belly, eye-to-eye, and toe-to-toe interaction with people is still a mandatory requirement for a no-guilt, no-worry, no-regrets purchase or sale of a home.

You can fill your pee-picken brain with so much stuff. You can know everything there is to know about a property, including your own, and the final deciding factor in the home buying and selling process will based on an emotional need or desire.

Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, and every brand's websites offer great information which should always be considered, but when it comes to laying the money on the line, when it comes to getting down to brass tacks, the licensed and Code of Ethic's bound REALTOR will provide the most consistently correct data and detail as it relates to the specific properties you choose to buy or sell.

This doesn't suggest that there aren't unethical, illegally behaving, unprepared, or uncaring REALTORS, they abound, but with every unethical, illegally behaving, unprepared, even uncaring REALTOR, you have something that does not exist from internet resources. You have legally mandated, contractually bound, living, breathing people who guarantee you, simply by their license, or their NAR contract, that you have recourse. Try getting any internet provider to give you recourse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,360,322 times
While your thoughts shed positive light on licensed Real Estate professionals vs. Internet Realty Sites, I am not really certain what your point is.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 PM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
All of those site have no way to sustain a money making operation, except off the backs of local real estate professionals. If our costs include these sites, we will have to pass on these costs to the consumers.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,316,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
While your thoughts shed positive light on licensed Real Estate professionals vs. Internet Realty Sites, I am not really certain what your point is.
My point is that people fail to understand the value of a professional REALTOR. My only point.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:22 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,360,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
My point is that people fail to understand the value of a professional REALTOR. My only point.
Agreed with you. I just didn't understand your point in the first post.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:56 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
As of April 30th, the Austin MLS will no longer automatically syndicate to third party websites. More and more consumers will start to see our value when they can only find listings on the broker sites or directly thru our mls portal.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:00 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,270,332 times
Here's an article Falconhead about what our MLS did in the fall in regards to syndication agreements with the third party sites.....article mentions what Austin was doing in regards to third party sites.

Local MLS takes charge of flow of listings to Zillow, Trulia, Homes.com | Inman News

Old 03-08-2014, 06:00 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Here's an article Falconhead about what our MLS did in the fall in regards to syndication agreements with the third party sites.....article mentions what Austin was doing in regards to third party sites.

Local MLS takes charge of flow of listings to Zillow, Trulia, Homes.com | Inman News
Interesting. One point of syndication would be great.
And, I sure wish my IDX vendor would update every 15 minutes. That is where the scraper sites have it over on IDX.

In NC, the broker is responsible for all presentation of the listing, anywhere it is syndicated. When redistributed to sites a broker never heard of, it is very easy to see how a broker could be affiliated with a property that is "For Sale," when it really isn't for sale.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:03 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,270,332 times
We are managing our own, and yes....I think this is going to be the start of many MLS boards across the US following suit. Our CEO and the task force that handled this spoke to MANY other MLS boards across the US in regards to third party syndication during our decision making process.

Direct syndication seems to be the future, WE now have control as we should....it is OUR data after all.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 22,885 times
Zillow, Trulia, Redfin and all the other websites have great information. I don't think most people look at these websites and others like them as a replacement to a realtor but more of a tool and information to complement them.

The truth of the matter is that much of what a realtor has traditionally done in the past is provided online now. Decades ago there wasn't all the rich and powerful information on the Internet like there is today. Information on schools, walkability, crime rates, distances/time, and so much more is provided online and you don't need to count as much on a realtor for that type of information.

In the future, we will most likely move to a system where realtors have a menu of services. Some people need more handholding and others don't so we will probably see a menu of services.

I can't see realtors totally being replaced but their role with all this technology will most likely change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals