Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 05:30 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Does your MLS specify a particular lockbox?
Support one specific electronic lockbox?

Our Triangle MLS is introducing SentriLock in January.
https://www.sentrilock.com/featured-latest-product/

My kneejerk response is to support the idea, because combo lockboxes are so routinely abused and insecure. If your MLS or Association supports SentriLock....

What works well and doesn't work so well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 08:58 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Ours uses just 1. We transitioned last year to a type that supports bluetooth rather than just IR so we can open it from a phone app without a fob. Agents were given about 1 year to fully transition, but occasionally I will get to a listing with an old lockbox so the phone app doesn't work.

And they were expensive with no possibility of buying a used one for less.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:25 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
We use Supraboxes for my MLS, but the Portland MLS uses Sentrilock so I see both in my market.

I think supra is more secure, a tougher lockbox if you will. Sentri is bigger so it holds condo FOBs and more keys easily where they can get stuck in the smaller Supra key holder. It is superior in that regard.

Sentri allows one-day codes and Supra does not. The Portland agents that come down to Salem complain that we are backwards, but giving out a one day code to a random person over the phone doesn't feel secure to me. They give me access codes without verifying who I am. I would not be pleased about that as a seller. I don't think sellers realize that agents have the ability to give verbal access codes to the box.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:58 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Don't know about Sentrilock but we use the Supra boxes and I find them to be great. I know when the boxes are accessed, I can set up accessible time ranges, produce reports, and even catch agents going into a listing who didn't schedule a showing! Unbelievable but it happens. They all say the same thing..."I thought I scheduled the showing...sorry."

There are still agents here who use combo boxes, though. They are few and far between but they are around.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:29 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
In the Denver metro area two real estate companies use the electronic boxes. The combo boxes are very popular.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:34 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
In Atlanta, we use Supra Lockboxes too. Since we switched several years ago to the iBox BT LE, I can use my iPhone to open lockboxes. Also the key holder is much bigger now to accommodate access cards, fobs and multiple keys.

Home inspectors and appraisers have to call me for a "call before showing" code to access the lockbox. It is easy to program and alerts me as soon as someone access it. I've never had a lockbox go bad on me. Although I did have an agent "return" the key to the lockbox where it clearly shows not no return the key to. Hello - there is a huge container for keys. I had to use a screwdriver to turn on the box, enter my shackle code, remove the lockbox from the door and the local Supra store gave me a new lockbox. They said there was no way they were going to be able to get the key out.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:40 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
My market uses the Supra boxes and has for many years. Just a few months ago, we had to trade them all in for the new Supra boxes with the larger key container.

The box you mentioned looks so archaic to me. What century was it created in? It looks like a combo box anyone could easily break into.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:09 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
My market uses the Supra boxes and has for many years. Just a few months ago, we had to trade them all in for the new Supra boxes with the larger key container.

The box you mentioned looks so archaic to me. What century was it created in? It looks like a combo box anyone could easily break into.
We are going to be doing a trade in next year I think for the new roomier ones.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
We use sentrilock. Unfortunately for those of us in the boonies, the cell phone access has no value. We are obligated to update our card every 72 hours. (Local MLS rule). Nothing more fun than forgetting to renew the card and drive 8 miles and find out you can't open the lockbox.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:27 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post

It actually looked pretty secure on display.
And, I am in favor of moving up to the security and recording, compared to our combo boxes. I expect to market them in my listing presentation material.

But, it wouldn't surprise me to see houses with both styles on them.

I also think that the days of back to back to back agents handing off the key to the next guy are over. It will have to be locked in the box and the next agent access it to record the visit. This should be an interesting transition.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 10-30-2015 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals