Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:11 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Diana, the BIC CAN do something when an agent is behaving in a manner that is not only a violation of the DNC list but is likely to get the broker fined as well as the agent. (Something that has been carefully explained to me more than once by brokers who know whose dollars are on the line in these situations.) Just as they can do something when an agent whose license is hung with them violates ethical or legal requirements of our industry. Independent contractor or no, there are requirements for hanging your license with a brokerage, and you can be held accountable for violating them.
That's exactly what my quote... that you copied, 3rd paragraph, says. I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 05:18 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You're right... a lot of realtors suggested that. I'm just not sure why. No biggie.

We are in agreement.... Robo calls = not a good tactic.

FWIW, - perspective from the other point of view: if you called me to yell at me for calling you.... I would NOT call you again to apologize, I'd just remove you from the list. I think it's definitely a violation to call again after someone has requested you stop. So... there's that. Not sure I'd hold it against him that he didn't call you back after your message.
"Not a good tactic?"
Euphemism of the year for clearly illegal activity.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:41 PM

Robo calling is not illegal. Calling people whose number is on the DNC list is... but that doesn't explain calling the broker. If the "clear illegality" of the practice is the issue, then report it to the feds. Enforce the law. Short of that. Call the guy who did it and yell at him... not his broker, like you want to get him in trouble. He's not a misbehaving child. The broker isn't likely to treat him like one, either.

Now... stop making me feel like I have to defend this guy. I don't like cold calling of any kind.... but I don't like making much ado about nothing, either.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Robo calling is not illegal. Calling people whose number is on the DNC list is... but that doesn't explain calling the broker. If the "clear illegality" of the practice is the issue, then report it to the feds. Enforce the law. Short of that. Call the guy who did it and yell at him... not his broker, like you want to get him in trouble. He's not a misbehaving child. The broker isn't likely to treat him like one, either.

Now... stop making me feel like I have to defend this guy. I don't like cold calling of any kind.... but I don't like making much ado about nothing, either.
Seriously?
It is a North Carolina agent, operating in North Carolina, affiliated with a North Carolina real estate firm, robocalling a North Carolina resident, and North Carolina law says that commercial robocalling is illegal.

What part of the puzzle have I missed? I even posted the link upthread, but will offer it again:
https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...robocalls.html

An excerpt:
"State Attorney General Roy Cooper joined 23 other attorneys general to call on the U.S. Senate to pass the Help Americans Never Get Unwanted Phone Calls Act (HANGUP Act), which would protect consumers from unwanted debt collection robocalls made to their cell phones.
The letter is specifically addressed to the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, and, if passed, the bill would remove a recent amendment to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) that allows debt collectors to robocall consumers' mobile phones.
"These calls are intrusive and annoying and can hold phones hostage with their repeated calls," Cooper said in a press release. "Consumers have made it clear they don't want robocalls on their cell phones and Congress needs to listen."

For the most part, calls made using prerecorded messages are already illegal in North Carolina. Nevertheless, Cooper's Consumer Protection Division received more than 9,000 complaints about unwanted calls last year, many of them robocalls, prerecorded calls made using automatic dialers.
In its current form, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act allows previously illegal robocalls to go to mobile phones for the purpose of collecting debts owed to or guaranteed by the federal government, including federal student loans. Debt collectors would continue to be able to contact consumers through other means to collect on legitimate debts.
This is one of many actions the North Carolina Attorney General's Office has taken to rid North Carolina consumers of robocalls. In 2015, Cooper and other state attorneys general asked the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to change a rule that allowed robocalls.

In June 2015, the FCC adopted a rule change allowing telecommunication companies to use technology to block robocalls. Last year, Cooper joined 44 additional state attorneys general in a letter urging the five major telephone companies, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, and CenturyLink, to offer robocall blocking technology to their customers.
The state is also a part of an ongoing lawsuit against DISH Network over millions of telemarketing calls made on behalf of the satellite TV provider. The outcome of the trial could impact other telemarketers' ability to evade Do Not Call laws by outsourcing call violations to third parties, Cooper said.
Cooper recommends that anyone who receives unwanted robocalls or telemarketing calls hang up and report the calls to his office."

He doesn't need your defense. He should need legal defense.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 PM

Oh - OK.... I'll defer to you on NC law then. I'm out.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:11 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
There's an attorney in the metro area -- one of her specialties is suing people who call her for solicitation purposes despite her being on the DNC list - Georgia allows you to sue the offender directly, and you can be awarded up to $2,000. :-)

Old 07-23-2017, 11:57 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:

The FTC begs to differ with you.

"If you receive a robocall trying to sell you something (and you haven’t given the caller your written permission), it’s an illegal call. You should hang up. Then, file a complaint with the FTC and the National Do Not Call Registry."

And again, elsewhere on the FTC's website:

"What's a Robocall?

If you answer the phone and hear a recorded message instead of a live person, it's a robocall.
You've probably gotten robocalls about candidates running for office, or charities asking for donations. These robocalls are allowed. But if the recording is a sales message and you haven't given your written permission to get calls from the company on the other end, the call is illegal. In addition to the phone calls being illegal, their pitch most likely is a scam."

Old 07-23-2017, 08:54 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
what if it's the IRS calling to tell you their audit shows an immediate lien is being placed on you?

Old 07-24-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what if it's the IRS calling to tell you their audit shows an immediate lien is being placed on you?

I have a script for those guys.
After using it a couple of times, those calls went away entirely, although the one feller blew his top and cussed me out in a very non-bureaucratic display of frustration....

Old 07-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Naw... . They don't differ with me. Or rather, I don't differ with them. They have far more opinion about this than I do. I'm surprised to learn it's illegal, because I get robocalls from all kinds of salesmen, all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals