Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:54 AM

4 posts, read 40,632 times

Advertisements

Certified Master Inspectors (CMI) have 1,000 or more inspections under their belt. I'm a CMI four times over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:53 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
A properly performed, full inspection, and a properly written report, takes time and is generally a one inspection per day process.
I think that's a ridiculous comment. There is no reason why an efficient inspector can't turn 2 or 3 per day. My preferred inspector has a mobile lab basically. 2 hours for an inspection, goes to his SUV, downloads photos, types up comments for summary, checks info condition off, prints a hard copy for everyone, then emails it out.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:33 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I think that's a ridiculous comment. There is no reason why an efficient inspector can't turn 2 or 3 per day. My preferred inspector has a mobile lab basically. 2 hours for an inspection, goes to his SUV, downloads photos, types up comments for summary, checks info condition off, prints a hard copy for everyone, then emails it out.
You are kidding right? You can't possibly be trying to equate "Efficiency" with "Competency", or "Efficient" with "Comprehensive"? I can most "efficiently" screw 2 or 3 consumers a day very easily as you are demonstrating in your own words above! Of course the inspection performed will not be comprehensive, nor will the report. Is it not important to you to serve your client's (the consumer) with the best service possible? Or are you more interested in making the sale and commission? With your advice and actions above, are you appearing like the latter?

I've seen plenty of on site reports and have not seen a one yet that was worth using to wipe my rear end in an outhouse. If you were to line up the on site reports from the same Inspector and actually read them what you would see is pure trash, repeated over and over again! The same canned, highly generic and confusing phrases that are inserted in and used for every home that has some similar problem. Most of these reports are what we call "Checklist Reports". They are little more than a bunch of check boxes that an Inspector fills out on a PDA or other hand held device as they are running around the house. These Inspectors actually use these as checklists to inspect a home. If it isn't on their little checklist it never makes it to the report nor the client.

The purpose of on site writing and issuing has nothing to due with benefiting the consumer. It is all for the benefit of the Inspector, and the Agent referring them. These idiot Inspectors are on site, as you so well described above, for 2 - 2.5 hours total including the client briefing time and report writing. It's "Wham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am" and onto their next inspection. If you read their contracts and reports they are filled with disclaimers and limits of liability. And why not? After all they are most likely going to miss things.

Mr. Hoffman you gave me a great idea for a new article to write. And it will feature this post as well as the comments made here. The American consumer needs to know how badly they are being screwed by the so called "Professionals" in the Real Estate Industry. Here we have a RE Agent that advocates 3 inspections a day and tries to place that propaganda out to the public as what should be normal and proper. This will certainly make a great article for the consumer protection pages!

Last edited by escanlan; 05-24-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,965 times
I mostly refer FABI and InterNACHI members.

Our broker warned us not to use ASHI members because anyone can join ASHI online in a few minutes. ASHI is not a real inspector association. I think it is some sort of money-making scam.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Now I do have a question for you as I would not expect the average consumer to be able to perform this immense task. And as you are being a good Agent/Consultant I would expect that you assist them with this. The question is how are you verifying, beyond doubt, that the Inspector who claims to have performed 10,000+ inspections is telling the truth?
Actually, I know and recommend two such inspectors. Both have been doing this for 30+ years and are also licensed structural engineers. They are local legends with consumers and real estate agents.

Interestingly, both limit their geographical area and thus travel time and manage to perform more than one inspection per day. And yet, some buyers prefer to get out the phone book and pick an inspector whose name they like or who will do the job for less.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Actually, I know and recommend two such inspectors. Both have been doing this for 30+ years and are also licensed structural engineers. They are local legends with consumers and real estate agents.

Interestingly, both limit their geographical area and thus travel time and manage to perform more than one inspection per day. And yet, some buyers prefer to get out the phone book and pick an inspector whose name they like or who will do the job for less.
As I have stated before there are long time Inspectors in existence, but extremely rare. Have both of these Inspector/Engineers perform "Whole House Inspections" for your 10,000 requirement? Did they perform a complete and thorough inspection for all of those 10,000 inspections, or are they performing specialized structural only (or other much less than "Whole House Inspections") as a mix of those 10,000? You offer your opinion on a National BB that your own criteria is an Inspector that "must have at least 10,000 home inspections under their belt". Are those "Whole House Inspections", or are they any level of inspection?

I would really be interested in knowing as well how you verify the 10,000 inspection minimum, as I had asked before? There are more than ample number of professionals making all manner of claims. But when you sort through the actual facts there is much embellishment to be found as well. Unfortunately the average consumer is relying on the RE Professionals to properly and honestly guide them through the process of buying or selling their home. In my opinion it is the responsibility of all RE Professionals to help the consumer sort through the embellishments and see the truth, regardless of what it might be. Educated consumers make better decisions!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
You are kidding right? You can't possibly be trying to equate "Efficiency" with "Competency", or "Efficient" with "Comprehensive"? I can most "efficiently" screw 2 or 3 consumers a day very easily as you are demonstrating in your own words above! Of course the inspection performed will not be comprehensive, nor will the report. Is it not important to you to serve your client's (the consumer) with the best service possible? Or are you more interested in making the sale and commission? With your advice and actions above, are you appearing like the latter?

I've seen plenty of on site reports and have not seen a one yet that was worth using to wipe my rear end in an outhouse. If you were to line up the on site reports from the same Inspector and actually read them what you would see is pure trash, repeated over and over again! The same canned, highly generic and confusing phrases that are inserted in and used for every home that has some similar problem. Most of these reports are what we call "Checklist Reports". They are little more than a bunch of check boxes that an Inspector fills out on a PDA or other hand held device as they are running around the house. These Inspectors actually use these as checklists to inspect a home. If it isn't on their little checklist it never makes it to the report nor the client.

The purpose of on site writing and issuing has nothing to due with benefiting the consumer. It is all for the benefit of the Inspector, and the Agent referring them. These idiot Inspectors are on site, as you so well described above, for 2 - 2.5 hours total including the client briefing time and report writing. It's "Wham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am" and onto their next inspection. If you read their contracts and reports they are filled with disclaimers and limits of liability. And why not? After all they are most likely going to miss things.

Mr. Hoffman you gave me a great idea for a new article to write. And it will feature this post as well as the comments made here. The American consumer needs to know how badly they are being screwed by the so called "Professionals" in the Real Estate Industry. Here we have a RE Agent that advocates 3 inspections a day and tries to place that propaganda out to the public as what should be normal and proper. This will certainly make a great article for the consumer protection pages!
That's cool. The 2 I recommend have a combined 23 years of experience and average ~700 inspections per year. They also have experience as contractors having built homes as well. If you think they need 8 hours to inspect a 5 year old slab home that is 1200 sf, you're crazy. No reason they can't do multiple inspections per day. They have an extensive list they inspect per home and go through it section by section. I'd put them up against just about anyone. I have a feeling I know what kind of inspector you are..."I'm here to put on a show! I'm going to work hard and if I can't find things wrong with the house, then I'll exaggerate the little things. By golly, they are here to see me find something wrong no matter how long it takes and I won't disappoint. And then once I'm done, rather than just give the facts, I'm going to see just how much I can make it sound like the house is about to fall down."

See, I can make snap judgments about people on the internet also. Of course, I don't hide behind a screen name either. I know we have a couple of other inspectors here. I'd love for them to weigh in on the topic. Can a home inspector do more than 1 per day and still do a good job?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
That's cool. The 2 I recommend have a combined 23 years of experience and average ~700 inspections per year. They also have experience as contractors having built homes as well. If you think they need 8 hours to inspect a 5 year old slab home that is 1200 sf, you're crazy. No reason they can't do multiple inspections per day. They have an extensive list they inspect per home and go through it section by section. I'd put them up against just about anyone. I have a feeling I know what kind of inspector you are..."I'm here to put on a show! I'm going to work hard and if I can't find things wrong with the house, then I'll exaggerate the little things. By golly, they are here to see me find something wrong no matter how long it takes and I won't disappoint. And then once I'm done, rather than just give the facts, I'm going to see just how much I can make it sound like the house is about to fall down."

See, I can make snap judgments about people on the internet also. Of course, I don't hide behind a screen name either. I know we have a couple of other inspectors here. I'd love for them to weigh in on the topic. Can a home inspector do more than 1 per day and still do a good job?
I can tell just reading your profile and WEB site you are not totally here! Hiding behind a screen name? Have you bothered to read my profile? There's nothing hidden there, all you have to do is look! Try being "cool" for once and learn what the profiles are used for.

I can tell you make snap judgments, that's obvious? As for the type of Inspector I am, I'm certainly not a "Two hour, three a day, Whitewash Inspector"! Do all you deal in are 5 year old, 1200 Sq. Ft. slab homes? You need to get a grip, go back to school, and learn what it means to service the consumer! It is important for you to learn to be part of the solution and not part of the current problems!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:09 AM

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I'd still like to hear from other inspectors an explanation of why you need 8 hours to inspect a home.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 18,778 times
Default A beginner's exam??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHI is a diploma mill. View Post
ASHI is a known diploma mill. Anyone can join ASHI online, in less than 30 seconds, by simply providing a valid credit number.

ASHI's highest "certified" membership level isn't much better and is based on passing one beginner's exam (NHIE), the very same beginner's exam used by many states to license newbies fresh out of home inspection school.

Any REALTOR caught recommending an ASHI member should be sued for negligent referral and then hung from a bridge for all to see.

By your statement above, you have proven that you never even laid eyes upon the National Home Inspector's Exam. Why don't you post your passing score?

This becomes a pissing match when someone like this yoyo starts pushing propaganda.

Most new inspectors (including you), ran to NACHI as the only exam you could handle, was the one they posted online. The fact you bothered to get your membership through NACHI tells me you haven't been an inspector very long. (please , save your 47 yrs experience line and 23,000 inspections for some unsuspecting customer)

Remember this, InterNACHI does NOT have ANY third party accreditation (from ANYONE)

I will gladly PAY for my continuing education courses through ASHI than to have them given to me FREE by some organization that let more than 6000 inspectors through their "Gate" with a parting gift of credentials.

I personally, am guilty of taking NACHI's online test for a new inspector on his home computer. He wanted the quick way in and since he was my brother-in-law, I did it for my sister. He botched his first twenty inspections. He came to me and asked me to give second opinions to his customers that would support his serious omissions. I refused as my rep was on the line. Needless to say, he is no longer in business.

I wish I had a dime for every customer who told me, "My last inspector never checked that". In just about every case, it was someone who had the Dorito-sounding acronym.

This is not to say that there aren't well qualified inspectors who carry the InterNACHI membership. I can only imagine that most of them were ASHI or NAHI first and joined NACHI for the added exposure.

I don't appreciate Mr. Yahoo's post that claims ASHI is a diploma mill. What a wanker. ASHI wouldn't have him for his lack of experience.

As far as I'm concerned, I shared my two cents and this pissing match is over. He can post whatever he wants after this (including his NHIE score).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals