Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:40 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

Anyone who's been around awhile will probably have a similar story but something happened yesterday that could have been a major oops. There was a home I was showing a client, my GPS took me right to it and we pulled up to the front. I was talking discussing the area and homes to my buyers who were new to the area. Being on a corner lot, we were directed to a door on the side of the house. As we were unlocking the side door to go in as the owner is getting in his car to leave. I figure he's leaving for the showing.

We go in this home and it is a pure "WOW" house, with a pool, character and an unbelievable price. My clients fall in love and after a few more homes we decide to go put in an offer. It was mid day, we wanted to get it in for the tax credit and were hurrying to get it put together while we grabbed a quick burger.

I spend about an hour going over the offer and addendum's with the buyer and discussing all options and how inspections, etc all worked. We had pulled the home up in the MLS and it only had 4 crappy pics with no front of home pic. We kept questioning the pics but finally decided they were just poor but the right ones.

We put the offer together, verified all the info, scanned and was about to email the offer to the agent when I ran 1 more search of the area.

We'll being rushed and in a hurry is not a good thing because we actually had mistakenly gone in the very nice house directly across the street from the very poor home we wrote the offer on. No wonder it was such a great price, it was the wrong house.

It was one of those mistakes were everything fell in (or out) place just wrong... the house was directly across the street, I was talking to client, going in a side door, an older home with no number on the curb. The POS house we were suppose to be in was listed by a discount broker (thus the 4 lousy pics) had no sign in the yard, no lock box on the door and $40k less then the home we were actually viewing.

I went where my GPS directed me and pulled right up to that very nice sign in the yard. Even the seller was leaving thinking they had a showing. I usually always verify the address but on this older home there was not one where you could see.

Luckily I caught the error before we negated the contract and got everyone all excited about the great deal on a WOW house. I've actually shown the wrong house a couple of times over the years but never almost put a contract on the wrong house.

Rakin almost owned another lease home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 05:45 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
OMG! That is so weird. Thank goodness you caught it.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:51 AM

982 posts, read 3,487,420 times
I've been around for a while, but that's never happened to me. I'm extremely anal...to the point of obsession...over things like that lol.

I think something's up with the GPS satellites lately. I have an in dash GPS, a portable GPS, and my Blackberry GPS. All 3 have been sending me to the wrong locations about 30% of the time. I'm back to carrying maps in my car; a lot of agents in my area list "use GPS" in the driving directions field of the MLS, so I can't rely on that either lol.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
I think something's up with the GPS satellites lately.

I know this is OT, but I have to agree. We updated the Tomtom Friday to be sure, but then on Saturday afternoon, it did it again. Not just giving us wrong turns and making us circle blocks, but also saying things like "turn right, then stay in the left lane", then as soon as I complete the turn and get over to the left lane (no traffic), telling me to turn right - as I pass the side street.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I have tried to show the wrong home before.
It is harder when the dang combo for the lockbox just won't work.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
But did the buyers buy the WOW house? Gonna finish the story?

I've shown the wrong house before, but only when the buyers are driving me around and I'm the passenger. I have found I just point to a yard sign and they park... oops... I assume they know the address because they're driving, but they don't. We get to talking a lot. We've never put an offer on a wrong house, but they've been shown.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 AM

948 posts, read 2,792,420 times
Wow never heard of that on a home - but it seems like it happens once or twice a year around here with raw land - the worse part is I know of a couple of horror stories where the owner owned several parcels in the same area so it was the seller drew up the deed and the deal closed with the buyer ending up with the wrong parcel.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Nope didn't buy the Wow house, it was over their budget. They are Relo new to the area and was hoping to get a Wow house for the low end price but our market here is good and too stable.

We did go out a distance and found a solid builder who will build them exactly what they want at the price they want. It will just mean she has a commute that is a little long.

There are still some good builders around here building specs and doing some very aggressive pricing. Gotta keep turning that dirt.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,175 times
Bumpity bump bump. This exact story just happened to me except I put the offer in on behalf of my client, and it was accepted.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:45 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonxyz1 View Post
Bumpity bump bump. This exact story just happened to me except I put the offer in on behalf of my client, and it was accepted.
so now what do you do? Do the buyers want that house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals