Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to list the house in the near future. I have a dilemma and I don't know how to go about it. Keep in mind, I try to keep my house as clean as I can at all times. I have a dog sitting service that I do out of my home. That means I have dogs stay at my house when people go away. Sometimes I have up to 8 dogs at once. I know it sounds crazy but it's all under control. Friends are surprised how clean and odor free the house is with dogs.

My problem is this is my only job and I can't just stop doing it. I'm trying to figure out how to do this being I almost have house guests. We want to get the house sold but there is no way we can have that many dogs here when people view the house. Some people don't even like dogs. I feel stuck not knowing how to go about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Put them in the back yard? I load my 3 in the car when i show the house and back down the driveway. But 8? Only if you have an SUV.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:46 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Put them in the back yard? I load my 3 in the car when i show the house and back down the driveway. But 8? Only if you have an SUV.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I know, I could load my three in the car which we've done in the past before I had this biz but 8 could be tricky.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
I hate to tell you this (I have a dog and love dogs) but if I walked into a house as a potential buyer and found out it had been used for pet sitting with up to 8 dogs in the place at a time, I'd likely not bother going to look at it.

It's the same thing as homes that have been lived in by smokers. I don't bother with those either.

And if I walk in the door and smell the smoke, or see the multiples of dogs, I'm turning around and leaving before I fall in love. Harsh? Yes, I'm afraid it is. But I KNOW I'm not the only one who would react this way. I'm just more honest about it, perhaps.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Take them for a walk maybe?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
You may never sell it without a good solution. Think about buying an old travel trailer or even RV, that barely runs for $500. Park it around the corner with the dogs when it's being shown.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
Is it at all possible to relocate your service for the listing period? That would be my best advice. Then clean every square molecule of the property and make it easy easy easy to show. JKgourmet is right - the general situation is going to be a huge negative for you.

Plan B. Tell the listing agent that unless a billionaire walks in and wants to see the house on short notice, you will make the house available to show 3 days per week. On those days, take no dogs. Have the place spiffed up and animal free on those days.

Best wishes! I can really sympathize with you - I have 5 parrots, 5 cats, 2 ducks and a flock of chickens!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You may never sell it without a good solution. Think about buying an old travel trailer or even RV, that barely runs for $500. Park it around the corner with the dogs when it's being shown.
Which will be a death trap if the OP lives in a warm weather climate.

I appreciate that you have suggested have a solution. However, I gotta tell you - if I were paying her, and TRUSTING her to care for my dog, and found out she put him in a trailer, ummmm, let's just say I'd be pissed.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
Well, over the years that you have been using the house as a business, you have depreciated it each year when you do your P&L, yes?

So, let's just say that the place 'costs' $200,000, and in ten years you have taken $100,000 in depreciation. It is now on your books at $100,000, yes?

Let's turn to the practical now. A house that has been used as a kennel, or a smoking den, or even rented out, is a complete turnoff to a lot of people. Certain buyers won't even walk in the door.

So, if the house might be worth $200,000 without the 'dog issue', you own it for $100,000 after the depreciation you have taken, and the $100,000 price tag might just entice a buyer who can overlook the fact that the house has been a dog kennel for several years.

In reality, if you have taken the depreciation, you are sort of in the drivers seat. The house might be a 'bargain' to a buyer at $100,000, and in reality you have already taken out $ 100,000 through depreciation, so you are really getting $200,000 for your house. In this market, and with the 'issues' with this particular house, you are really coming out WAY ahead.

The dogs? Don't bother to hide them. You have to disclose that you used the house for a kennel, and anyone seriously wanting to make an offer is going to find out anyhow--stink or no stink. You can't hide eight dogs, and several cars driving up morning and night to drop off their pets. Just be up front and thank your lucky stars when it sells. You actually could be in a great position if you played your cards correctly over the years.

Good luck. Woof, woof.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Well, over the years that you have been using the house as a business, you have depreciated it each year when you do your P&L, yes?

So, let's just say that the place 'costs' $200,000, and in ten years you have taken $100,000 in depreciation. It is now on your books at $100,000, yes?

Let's turn to the practical now. A house that has been used as a kennel, or a smoking den, or even rented out, is a complete turnoff to a lot of people. Certain buyers won't even walk in the door.

So, if the house might be worth $200,000 without the 'dog issue', you own it for $100,000 after the depreciation you have taken, and the $100,000 price tag might just entice a buyer who can overlook the fact that the house has been a dog kennel for several years.

In reality, if you have taken the depreciation, you are sort of in the drivers seat. The house might be a 'bargain' to a buyer at $100,000, and in reality you have already taken out $ 100,000 through depreciation, so you are really getting $200,000 for your house. In this market, and with the 'issues' with this particular house, you are really coming out WAY ahead.

The dogs? Don't bother to hide them. You have to disclose that you used the house for a kennel, and anyone seriously wanting to make an offer is going to find out anyhow--stink or no stink. You can't hide eight dogs, and several cars driving up morning and night to drop off their pets. Just be up front and thank your lucky stars when it sells. You actually could be in a great position if you played your cards correctly over the years.

Good luck. Woof, woof.
You're kidding, right? You really think this person has depreciated the house on her P&L? Heck, I'd be surprised if she HAS a P&L and be shocked if she reports the income on her pet sitting business to IRS.

Disclosure - yep, you're probably right about that. I recognize that pet setting is not the same as a kennel, but probably still needs to be disclosed. The OP really needs to check with a realtor about it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate