Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM

14 posts, read 34,533 times

Advertisements

Long story short...My house is in a fabulous neighborhood near Southpoint Mall - DH and I spur of the moment decided to put the house on the market last year from July-October...and it didnt sell..

Not impressed with our first realtor we got a new realtor early this year (with the same company) and listed in February...it's still on the market..we listed this year $4k less than last year (at the suggestion of our realtor who also confirmed with other realtors it was a good price) and we've come down an additional $14k since then...

but no buyers..we're always the 2nd choice house..never the first..

Current realtor went through the house with us before we listed it, and we moved furniture around, painted, and our house is spotless during showings...

6 month contract is almost up with current realtor - we're going to go ahead and take it off the market until the spring - we're moving to Raleigh and don't want to interrupt our kids' school schedule..

I understand that finding a buyer can be tricky...but how do I find out WHY my house didnt sell? Market or realtor?

And HOW do I find a realtor who will actually sell my house without me having to bring money to closing b/c we've reduced my house to practically free? Right now at my current price, I'll get like $200 at closing after I pay for the 5% reatlor fees....

I would prefer a realtor who SELLS the South Durham area - even though we're moving to Raleigh we know the neighborhoods we want so helping us find a new house is the easy part ...

Feel free to DM me if you'd prefer - I know this can be a tricky subject!!

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 01:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary B123 View Post
I understand that finding a buyer can be tricky...but how do I find out WHY my house didnt sell? Market or realtor?
It's not about finding a buyer; it's about a buyer finding your house (and finding it attractive and priced to sell).

My guess is that something about your house is holding it back. Either it's priced too high, or it needs updating, etc. Perhaps a new agent can give you an honest critique.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 PM

120 posts, read 253,941 times
I'm in just about the same boat and so frustrated. We have received every possible feedback explanation as to why our house wasn't their 1st choice and it is never anything we can change.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Could always try to get on that show Sell This House Roger Hazard - Sell This House: Extreme Cast - aetv.com

I always found it amusing the comments they would catch from people on the hidden camera. Some of the buyers just have ridiculous expectations imo.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:13 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Feel free to DM me if you'd prefer - I know this can be a tricky subject!!

Any realtor/agency recommendations can be made ONLY via Direct Message, per the Terms of Service .....

Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default the realtor

Quote:

THANKS!!!
One of your realtors jobs is to get feedback. This is where you find out what is going on. You have to find out the positives and the negatives of the viewings. If you post a link here I am sure people will review it.

Is there new construction going on around you or within an "x" radius?
How is the updating in the home?

Also how many showing have you had?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
One of your realtors jobs is to get feedback. This is where you find out what is going on.
This is very true. The house we bought was partially because of the seller's agent calling our agent and asking what it would take to sell the house to us. The house was towards the top of our list, not the very top, but once we were able to get some concessions agreed upon we placed a bid and eventually bought the house.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM

14 posts, read 34,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
One of your realtors jobs is to get feedback. This is where you find out what is going on. You have to find out the positives and the negatives of the viewings. If you post a link here I am sure people will review it.

Is there new construction going on around you or within an "x" radius?
How is the updating in the home?

Also how many showing have you had?
We've had feedback - from almost every showing....and we've had 28!!! and we've had an Open House that brought in 6 more families.

The most common negative feedback comments are things we cant change - like the slope of the driveway (which was QUITE obvious when you drove up), that we have neighbors behind us or that the "layout is wrong"...What??!! I just don't get that one..

We have TOTALLY updated our house - it was built in 1989 - and we've replaced all the masonite siding with vinyl, and replaced all the wooden windows with vinyl - and we've updated the kitchen and all the 3 full-sized bathrooms...there is NO brass in my house and all of the fixtures have been changed out too...the rooms are painted VERY neutral light colors and all personal items have been taken off the walls and nice non-offensive decorations are up. And we always get positive feedback from the showing realtors that we've done great updates, and we're staged nicely and that it "shows well"...but they're just not showing it to the right buyers!

I guess where I am the most frustrated is that I get negative feedback on things that are obvious in the on-line pictures - lthat our driveway slopes up some, and that you can see our back-door neighboors in the backyard...or that they wanted all 4 bedrooms on the same floor, when you can SEE in the description that I have 3 up and 1 down..

and regarding the price - we've only come down in price b/c we've suggested it. We originally listed at a price my realtor came up with and said that we would be competitive at - and we've initiated the price reductions b/c we were hoping that lowering it even more would help. Our realtor still insists that our house is worth our current price.

and as was mentioned before..PLEASE send all Realtor recommendations via DM!!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
6 months isn't bad...I've been trying to sell a small log cabin in the NC mountains for two years. In that time we have had two price reductions, maybe 15 showings and not even a single offer. We have gotten feedback from the showings and understand the buyers' perspectives but frustration has certainly set in.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
We've had feedback - from almost every showing....and we've had 28!!! and we've had an Open House that brought in 6 more families.

The most common negative feedback comments are things we cant change - like the slope of the driveway (which was QUITE obvious when you drove up), that we have neighbors behind us or that the "layout is wrong"...What??!! I just don't get that one..

I guess where I am the most frustrated is that I get negative feedback on things that are obvious in the on-line pictures - lthat our driveway slopes up some, and that you can see our back-door neighboors in the backyard...or that they wanted all 4 bedrooms on the same floor, when you can SEE in the description that I have 3 up and 1 down..
Ehh from the point of view of the buyer, I know that we went and looked at houses that we knew were going to have some things we didn't like just because we wanted to cast our net wide. Even though you might not like the driveway or how close it is to the neighbors, there might be enough positives about the house to outweigh the negatives, like it being walking distance to great shopping or it having a killer backyard. But it's also a buyer's market right now so if your house has three negatives and another house only has two, they're going to bid on the other house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate