Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 01:22 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,706,517 times

Advertisements

You know the saying "the ones with the guns make the rules".

If you purchase a house and the land, i was just wondering why a land owner has to pay 'property tax' on a monthly basis for the life of the home? Why is purchasing land different from purchasing a car? If you buy a car, you pay tax when you buy it and that's it.....but for a home, you're paying month after month.

Seems like its similar to paying a bully at school 'protection money' so that he will let you eat your own lunch.

The 'tax' sort of tells me that you really dont own the land, you're just 'leasing it' from big brother.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Personally, I think the property tax is the most unfair tax there is on several fronts, including the right of confiscation.
I'm sure I'll go to my death with the that opinion without seeing it change.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:35 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
I pay property tax on my cars every year.

There is no fair tax. Income tax is an immoral scandal. Property tax stresses landowners. Sales tax adds to the cost of living. Capital gains taxes capital that already has been taxed.
Etc. Etc.

Legitimate government function has to be funded some way, and we should be much more focused on the ruling class, the privileged 0.01% of the 100% seizing and pissing away wealth more than on how they seize the wealth.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
...we should be much more focused on the ruling class, the privileged 0.01% (to 0.099%) of the 100%
seizing and pissing away wealth more than on how they seize the wealth.
The assumption being that there would be a reduction in what gets seized from the rest of us?
It's a nice thought.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The assumption being that there would be a reduction in what gets seized from the rest of us?
It's a nice thought.
The world could always use more nice thoughts!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,055 times
Who is supposed to pay for roads, police, fire, community services, etc.?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Who is supposed to pay for roads, police, fire, community services, etc.?
"them"

Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
You know the saying "the ones with the guns make the rules".

If you purchase a house and the land, i was just wondering why a land owner has to pay 'property tax' on a monthly basis for the life of the home? Why is purchasing land different from purchasing a car? If you buy a car, you pay tax when you buy it and that's it.....but for a home, you're paying month after month.

Seems like its similar to paying a bully at school 'protection money' so that he will let you eat your own lunch.

The 'tax' sort of tells me that you really dont own the land, you're just 'leasing it' from big brother.
I pay my property taxes yearly, and my income taxes quarterly. Does that mean I don't really have the money I make? Oregon doesn't have sales tax but for states that do, does that mean you don't really own the things you just bought because you paid tax on them? Oh and some states have real estate transfer taxes so you get to pay more taxes when you sell your home. We don't have those either.

I kinda like roads, fire protection, schools for kids and things like that but I'm kind of crazy that way. I would like to see our politicians be required to pass budgeting 101 before being allowed to run, but that's a different story.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
"them"
Exactly. It's convenient to dehumanize others (especially those who are successful in a system that seves all of us) and then say that "they" should pay for all the services we get.

Unfortunately, we've seen many times in past what dehumanizing an entire class of people on whatever basis can lead to. Equally unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be an impulse that is disappearing from the human race any time soon.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:31 AM

There are other options available..

Quote:
Each parish was simply commanded to keep its own roads in good repair, and left to get on with it. In mediaeval times it had been normal for every man to spend part of his time working on his lord's land, so delegating responsibility in this way must have seemed the obvious and sensible thing to do. The rules laid down by government were perfectly fair, in theory.

Every man in the parish who owned or occupied land worth £50 a year or more was obliged to supply a cart, horses, tools, and two men for six days to work on the roads. (The obligation was on the tenant, not the landlord.) Everyone else had to give their labour for six days each year, or provide a substitute.

The parish council appointed one of their number as 'Surveyor of the Highways' to organise this labour force and direct it to where it was needed. The appointment was unpaid, and lasted for a year.

In practice this meant that the unfortunate individual who was chosen as Surveyor had to persuade the major landowners in the district to spend their own time and money on making good the worst sections of the highways in his care. If they refused, he could in theory arrange for the full majesty of the law to descend on their heads...

Last edited by MrRational; 12-01-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate