Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 223 times

Advertisements

(1) to your first question: The quoted term is in common usage, so, exists in that sense.

(2) to your second question: only inasmuch as they provide services such as scheduling viewing, transportation, conveying bids etc.. But your phrase 'really working for' suggests the opposite of the conflict of interest they generally suffer from: namely, they benefit if you pay a higher price. In this sense they are 'really' secondary seller's agents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 03:35 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbond View Post
(1) to your first question: The quoted term is in common usage, so, exists in that sense.

(2) to your second question: only inasmuch as they provide services such as scheduling viewing, transportation, conveying bids etc.. But your phrase 'really working for' suggests the opposite of the conflict of interest they generally suffer from: namely, they benefit if you pay a higher price. In this sense they are 'really' secondary seller's agents.
Hogwash and balderdash.
Attitudes that reveal a poster's personal values don't apply to everyone else.

Old 08-13-2023, 05:10 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Methinks thou protests too much…

Article 17 of NAR’s Code of Ethics read here. https://www.nar.realtor/sites/defaul...Article-17.pdf

Buyers seek an unfair advantage over the seller because that is in their best interests. Sellers seek an unfair advantage over the buyer because it’s in their best interest.

Real estate seems easy enough, yet it’s the most complicated transaction of many adult lives.

If you hire a great agent, terrific; if you don’t, that’s on you. If the public would not hire the below average agent, they would seek employment elsewhere. Then the half that is below average would actually be pretty good.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:02 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
Y'all realize this is a ten year old thread, right?

Old 08-14-2023, 07:34 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Yeah.
Brought back by a one post wonder.

The topic is still worthy.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:49 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWDOm_v5ihE

Old 08-14-2023, 11:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I was surprised just yesterday by the actual service provided by a buyer's agent that I selected to inquire about a house. I find that listing agents are more pushy, so when I saw the listing I went for an agent at another company in that city. This was a 3/2 on 5 acres in a very desirable area that we like, away from big cities, where we would like to retire. Our budget is about $600k to pay cash with our equity, and this place was just $475k. Looking at the pictures, however, it was a mess. It needed complete kitchen remodel and every room was cluttered with stuff, like the people had left in a hurry and just took the clothes off their back. I just wanted to know if it was going to be cleaned out before a sale. When he called me back he said that it was as-is, and it would cost $20k just to get the junk removed. He said he wouldn't sell it to his worst enemy, and certainly not to me. I expected him to be pushy but he just asked if I would like him to keep an eye out for others in our price range and I agreed.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:32 PM

10,842 posts, read 4,521,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
I've often wondered about the concept of a buyer's agent. In a real estate deal, both sides are incentivized to get the highest possible sales price to generate the highest possible commission. The seller of course wants to sell for the highest possible and a buyer's agent wants a the largest possible commission, so therefore, the highest price is really the goal for both sides.

Any time I see a realtor, hear stories, even watch shows, the "buyer's agent" is always pushing the person into the most expensive home they can, often times pushing them out of their budget, by "stretching" for something "they really want", not need. I have not for the most part seen them encouraging them to buy a home that is comfortably under their budget max, encouraging them to take on less debt, and spending less.

A very infamous commercial from the height of the housing boom from Century 21 Realty showcases the work of a so called "buyer's agent", effectively bullying a guy into buying a house he can't afford because "it's special".

Suzanne Researched this - Remember, she's the "buyer's agent"

Century 21 - The Debate

The Spot: A title card reads "The Debate." We fade in on a couple standing in their kitchen, arguing about whether to buy a new house. The wife is the aggressor; the husband has his doubts, the wife snapping her head back in a contemptuous "What?!?!". "Suzanne researched this!!" says the wife in exasperation, As we're wondering who Suzanne is, the ad cuts to an image of the couple's kitchen telephone. "This listing is special, John," says the voice of their real estate agent over the speakerphone, who has been listening the whole time to what should have been a delicate private conversation. "You guys can do this." The husband caves. "This is awesome," says the wife. We see a picture of the agent's Century 21 business card.

we hired a buyers agent to get in here in 2017. prices were good, the area desirable, everything was always contingent by the time the listing hit realtor or zillow or whatever...time was not on our side.

He knew our wants and plusses and minuses and didnt waste our time.

our house was on the market only a few hours before our offer (which was accepted) was in. without someone working for the $$, you dont stand a chance in a hot market.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:34 PM

10,842 posts, read 4,521,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post

got me too...that aug 2013 date brain farted into aug 2023...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate