Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:56 PM

403 posts, read 1,170,520 times

Advertisements

Many regular contributors may not have noticed that a large number of trollish and inflammatory posts have been removed from various threads, but I certainly have.

Disagreement and debate between contributors is one thing. Hostile, argumentative postings for the purpose of disrupting debate are another.

THANK YOU, MODS!!!

I encourage everyone that comes across a trollish or inflammatory post to immediately report it to the mods by clicking on red triangle in the upper-right corner of the post.

From Wikipedia, a "troll" is:
[S]omeone who posts controversial messages...with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:10 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Great post Eric, I'm in complete agreement.

I also wish to offer my Thanks to the Mods

Old 01-01-2008, 07:50 PM

540 posts, read 2,174,190 times
Eric, thanks for the post. I agree with your sentiment (having been baited a few times myself and kicking myself afterwards!)

There IS a positive to the trolls though; despite the fact that you can't debate with someone unwilling to listen to the other side of the argument...some of the sentiments expressed by them ARE indeed out there in our local communities and the fact that it draws the pros here to post reasonable rebuttals to the points helps to arm ALL of us in how to deal with them.

In a very Sun Tzu (Art of War) sense, it gives us a way to know our "opponents" and to more effectively "defeat" them through effective communication.

*I tried to NOT lump everyone who happens not to share MY opinion into the troll category with this post. I thought I'd better put a disclaimer here to say that. Keep the positive debates rolling, it helps us all.

Last edited by DavePautsch; 01-01-2008 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Addition of the disclaimer

Old 01-01-2008, 07:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
thank you mods.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:57 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Thank you Eric Young, and other members in this forum for reporting posts. Without the membership, it would be impossible to catch them all.

Happy New Year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post
Many regular contributors may not have noticed that a large number of trollish and inflammatory posts have been removed from various threads, but I certainly have.

Disagreement and debate between contributors is one thing. Hostile, argumentative postings for the purpose of disrupting debate are another.

THANK YOU, MODS!!!

I encourage everyone that comes across a trollish or inflammatory post to immediately report it to the mods by clicking on red triangle in the upper-right corner of the post.

From Wikipedia, a "troll" is:
[S]omeone who posts controversial messages...with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePautsch View Post
...There IS a positive to the trolls though; despite the fact that you can't debate with someone unwilling to listen to the other side of the argument...some of the sentiments expressed by them ARE indeed out there in our local communities and the fact that it draws the pros here to post reasonable rebuttals to the points helps to arm ALL of us in how to deal with them...
There are posters that disagree with consensus opinions without being trollish, argumentative or inflammatory - they're great.

In November, Bill Keegan started a thread because of a post I had made about using photoshop on listing photos. Although I was raked over the coals by most other agents, it was an extremely worthwhile discussion and debate.

One of the key reasons I began posting here was to post my statistical analyses of the Las Vegas market (I do it in the LV thread) because I wanted to get critical feedback prior to sending it to the mainstream press. I want people to find flaws in my arguments before I embarass myself in the paper!!!

But I don't think the people that I'm talking about - 80% of us would easily agree on who I'm talking about - represent anything other than the fringe-iest of fringes in this country and whatever possible contribution they might make is cancelled (and then some) by the number of quality discussions that they shout down.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:29 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
I'm glad also some rediculous posts have been removed also.

I love a great debate & I love to help people out. The advice I give I try to be as honest and blunt as I can. I only think its fair to the person asking the question. If I were to paint a rosy picture it would be just like "lying" in my opinion. Unfortunatley, that's whats led to many sellers having their homes sit, & sit when they should've been aggressive from the start.

Unfortunatly, some people also get rubbed the wrong way when they confuse honesty with "negativity".

Old 01-01-2008, 08:33 PM

CJ's our Simon Cowell.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:36 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
Quote:
CJ's our Simon Cowell.

Thanks moderators for a job well done!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:12 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Indeed, I agree as well. Noted and appreciated. I like this forum because you get to experience the wide range of public perception in a very honest way. People will say things on an impersonal blog that they would never say in person. I very much enjoy the interaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate