Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:04 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times

Advertisements

In addition to dog doo and bus stop issues, depending how the house is situated you might have a very small (shallow) back yard.

If you're buying new, builder may charge more due to twice as much sidewalk.

If you live in area where homeowners are responsible for paying for sidewalk or curb repairs, you've got double exposure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 08:00 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
We no longer live on a corner, but when we did many of the issues posted here were the case:

- increased traffic and noise (actually, one of the reasons we started looking to sell as more and more pizza guys running the stop sign on deliveries as our street became the de facto route for those drivers and many others looking to avoid the congested four-lane road running parallel to ours half a mile away);

- had to shovel twice the sidewalk (our community fined you for not clearing snow with 48 hours; usually no big deal, but if out of town when a storm hit ...);

- lots of dog walkers in our neighborhood and more than I would have expected seemed to think that the boulevard sections - between the sidewalk and the street - did not require cleaning up after their dogs (perhaps they felt that about other's boulevard sections as well, but we had twice the exposure)

- without landscaping to discourage it, people felt it was fine to leave the sidewalk and simply cut across our yard diagonally to the other sidewalk while walking;

- somehow, our driveway became the bus stop, esp. in the winter when our driveway was the only place for kids to stand which opened to the street because it was shoveled; we had to make sure to be out of there before the kids showed up because several - and their parents - would not move to the sidewalk to allow us out without being asked;

On the plus side, it was really nice having no neighbor on one side (bonus was that we had only a treed lot behind us).

Old 03-29-2016, 08:07 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
More sidewalk to maintain is the main reason~yard configuration might be a problem, small backyard, larger side yard. Tough if you need to put up a fence for dogs. Corner lots are often the school bus stop, where the snow plow leaves the snow, where the fire hydrant and drains must be dug out and kept clear.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:11 AM

818 posts, read 1,066,796 times
Lots of great points so far, but also think of headlights impacting the home at night. At the same intersection, different homes will be impacted differently by headlights based on traditional traffic patterns. If your bedroom is going to be in the front of the home, you may not want headlights hitting the windows all night long and your window blinds are more likely to be shut 24/7/365.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:14 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
More sidewalk to maintain is the main reason~yard configuration might be a problem, small backyard, larger side yard. Tough if you need to put up a fence for dogs. Corner lots are often the school bus stop, where the snow plow leaves the snow, where the fire hydrant and drains must be dug out and kept clear.
These are some very good points I never thought of. The house I lived in did not have a side walk to there really was never any foot traffic along the street. It didn't snow there so that wasn't an issue. Lastly, there was no bus stop for kids or adults anywhere near there.

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Because people are lazy and animals don't care so they cut through the yard on a corner lot. Most Cities have strict rules on fences in front yards too so not much of an option. Everyone thinks the corner is the place for waiting for a ride, lemonade stands, signs for garage sales, lil Jimmie's bday party directions. No thanks.

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
One stupid one I just remembered is trash cans. Many towns require cans to be stored out of sight in the back, not a problem with an interior lot. On the corner your cans can be seen from the side street unless you have screening.

And yes, we're dealing with that exact complaint here right now. The "offender" also has three cans and the complainant thinks that two are more than enough.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
We no longer live on a corner, but when we did many of the issues posted here were the case:

- increased traffic and noise (actually, one of the reasons we started looking to sell as more and more pizza guys running the stop sign on deliveries as our street became the de facto route for those drivers and many others looking to avoid the congested four-lane road running parallel to ours half a mile away);

- had to shovel twice the sidewalk (our community fined you for not clearing snow with 48 hours; usually no big deal, but if out of town when a storm hit ...);

- lots of dog walkers in our neighborhood and more than I would have expected seemed to think that the boulevard sections - between the sidewalk and the street - did not require cleaning up after their dogs (perhaps they felt that about other's boulevard sections as well, but we had twice the exposure)

- without landscaping to discourage it, people felt it was fine to leave the sidewalk and simply cut across our yard diagonally to the other sidewalk while walking;

- somehow, our driveway became the bus stop, esp. in the winter when our driveway was the only place for kids to stand which opened to the street because it was shoveled; we had to make sure to be out of there before the kids showed up because several - and their parents - would not move to the sidewalk to allow us out without being asked;

On the plus side, it was really nice having no neighbor on one side (bonus was that we had only a treed lot behind us).
Again, it depends on the neighborhood. A carefully chosen corner lot is a great benefit. It just requires research before buying. We have no traffic except for a 15-20 minute period morning and afternoon when the nearby school starts and ends, and even then only 10-15 cars.

We have no sidewalks and on the rare day that is snows, no one shovels, it usually melts the next day.

In 22 years we have never had a dog leave us a present.

No one can cut the corner onto our property with big trees and shrubs along the whole side and to the driveway in front.

There are no school buses running near us, the elementary is only a few blocks away, and the nearest bus stop for the older kids is two blocks away.

There is only one upstairs window on the house behind us that would be able to view our back yard, but it's a frosted bathroom window and never open. No windows from any other homes can see our front yard. It's very private.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:33 AM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
If the streets are quiet residential streets, then I think I'd prefer a corner lot. With a corner lot, there would be one fewer neighbor with property directly adjoining mine. There's a lot to be said for that. Less noise and hassle, and fewer trivial disputes come to mind.

Either way I'd have a privacy fence along that property line for the back yard, and a picket fence for the front yard to keep people from cutting through the front yard when walking. Either way I'd pay someone to do all the mowing (or shoveling of snow if I lived in that sort of climate). So, those aspects would not be disadvantages for me.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Again, it depends on the neighborhood. A carefully chosen corner lot is a great benefit. It just requires research before buying. We have no traffic except for a 15-20 minute period morning and afternoon when the nearby school starts and ends, and even then only 10-15 cars.

We have no sidewalks and on the rare day that is snows, no one shovels, it usually melts the next day.

In 22 years we have never had a dog leave us a present.

No one can cut the corner onto our property with big trees and shrubs along the whole side and to the driveway in front.

There are no school buses running near us, the elementary is only a few blocks away, and the nearest bus stop for the older kids is two blocks away.

There is only one upstairs window on the house behind us that would be able to view our back yard, but it's a frosted bathroom window and never open. No windows from any other homes can see our front yard. It's very private.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The vast majority of corner lots are not bus stops, are not high traffic, and do not have many of the issues people complain about. I think if one takes the time and effort to check where the schools are located, where the buses stop, and check out local traffic patterns, I corner lot can be good option for some people.
BTW, there are plenty of bus stops that are not located on corners, at least where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate